Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

MKII 1.8tdci - squealing noise, turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM
cyclingspongecake
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MKII 1.8tdci - squealing noise, turbo???

I have a MKII 1.8 tdci on about 137500 miles that has recently started making a squealing noise coming from the back of the engine in the direction of the turbo. Its just had some pipework for the cooling system replaced due to leaking and initially I thought this issue was going to be the water pump, hence this would perhaps resolve the squeal, but it turned out the pump was fine and the squeal is still present.

I've had some discussions with the mechanic about likely scenarios if it is the turbo and have found various references on t'internet to oil starvation, possibly linked to failed oil seal on injectors but I really need to find out whether this is a common problem and whether it could be something else that is more easily resolved (and cheaply!) than replacing the turbo!

The squealing happens on startup when revving and generally while driving, but not always! Sometimes its nice and quiet whether under load or not. I have seen one internet reference to a perished pipe causing tape to be drawn into one of the nozzles and causing the noise so don't know whether this is really a possibility? The sound doesn't really sound like a failing bearing.

Driving wise it seems fine but I'm not trying to rev it too much just in case. I'm also worried about doing too much driving in it, in case things go bang!

Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default squeal

check turbo pipework and i/cooler if fitted-boost leak can cause whistle
check turbo turbine blades are not touching the housing with excessive bearing/shaft wear[squeal/screeching noise]