Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

How simple to convert 2.0 DOHC to Turbocharged

Search this Thread

Old 24-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Crystal_Couch
A-HAAAAA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How simple to convert 2.0 DOHC to Turbocharged

Hi!

As per title really.
I know the compression ratio needs lowering if you're planning on turbocharging.

My thought was this though.
I have a Granada 2.0i twin cam.Good condition low mileage engine fastidiously maintained from new.
I wondered if ,for example, anyone had ever fitted Cosworth manifold/turbo/custom exhaust to a Mk3 Granada.
Even if the turbo needs setting up to operate at half boost,then thats fine.I just need boost.Not a 2.9 V6!

Oh,and at this point,no,I can't afford a Sierra Cosworth.
Is this financially doable fairly cheaply??

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 24-12-2013, 10:01 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It wouldn't be cheap. The Cosworth manifolds won't fit without major work, the ports are a different shape, the DOHC is an 8 valve with roughly square ports, the Cossie has oval ports.

Turbo Technics did a kit that produced 165 bhp or 175 bhp with a custom free-flow exhaust. This had a bespoke cast exhaust manifold and a T25. The kept the compression standard, running 6 psi boost. The ignition was permanently retarded by shorting the octane adjust plug pins to ground. An elbow on the throttle body held a 5th injector which was driven by an add on Digital Control Unit. This was fed a boost signal from a 2 bar MAP sensor. The standard MAP sensor on the car was fitted with an electronic frequency limiter to stop the standard ECU from seeing the boost signal. If it sees boost it drops into Limited Operating Strategy, fixing the ignition timing and injector pulse duration. On boost, this would cause catastrophic detonation, destroying the pistons and head gasket in a matter of seconds.

There is nothing to stop you fabricating an exhaust manifold for a turbo and changing the injectors for the extra fuelling. This would need after-market management and a mapping session. This wouldn't be cheap though.

Turbo Technics only made 52 of the DOHC turbo kits so they are very rare. They do appear on ebay occasionally but most are not complete, usually missing the frequency limiter which is no longer available from Turbo Technics.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Mk4 Rick
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its doable depending on how much power you want.If it was me I would look on ebay for used parts.
Old 24-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Crystal_Couch
A-HAAAAA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

OK thanks guys thats superb.

I was somewhat chuffed to see this little babe on E-Risk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Syst...item4d1696b221

Hey I thought mine was 16v as after '89. When did they go to 16v if I'm talking testacles??

I wonder what I'd do for an exhaust system as well.

Power wise,170 with around 200 torque would be enough.
Its through an Auto Box too.I'd be using Lubegard from the States in there.I swear by that when owning Turbo Autos.Their tranny shops swear by it over there.

Keen to learn

Steve
Old 24-12-2013, 11:08 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That ebay listing is for part of a Turbo Technics kit if the picture is anything to go by. As said, there should be a DCU with MAP sensor (GM-Motorola type) and the frequency limiter. It also doesn't show the downpipe which mates to the standard centre section of the Sierra exhaust. If he has those parts as well then £450 is a bargain. I've seen incomplete kits go for £600 plus.

I ran mine with a Scorpion stainless system. I built a new DCU as mine fried. I bought the last frequency limiter off Turbo Technics and foolishly potted it into it's case before getting the component specs and PCB layout (my car had this missing when I bought it). I also swapped the GM MAP sensor to a Weber Marelli Cossie one as the GM ones are pants. I also fitted a pressure switch to short the octane adjust pins to ground only when on boost as it was a bit flat off boost due to the permanent retard. I also swapped the 3.92 diffs to 3.62 as it would easily hit the limiter in 5th. Once I sorted it all, it made 173 bhp on the rolling road dyno at Power Engineering. It did drive well.

Last edited by JFB Tech; 24-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 25-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Mk4 Rick
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick a t25 on it and use the usual cozzy intercooler the intercooler hoses you might have to mix and match its not expensive and for the return to the sump either have a fitting welded in or get one off ebay like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1110675518...84.m1438.l2649