Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus MK1 Climate control!

Search this Thread

Old 25-07-2013, 06:35 PM
murruk01
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus MK1 Climate control!

I have a very strange problem with the climate control in my wife's focus, a couple of years ago I replaced the condenser regassed system and all worked fine until the outside temp registered above 18 degrees and it would only blow hot air. 2 years of bad weather so no need to use a\c until a few weeks ago and I thought I better get it working, I had a Ford master tech take a look and he diagnosed the control panel as the code that kept coming up for interior temputure fan failure. I replaced the control panel from a car that it was working in, still no a\c the compressor wasn't engaging
I then regassed the system it had 500 g rather than the 700 g it should have so vacuumed the system and regassed, 200g in 2 years and no leak, turned the climate control on to low and hey presto the click was heard and the compressor engaged 9.5 degrees measured through the dash vents.
I drove the car home to demo to the wife started it up again no cold air, I checked all fuses swapped relays all ok, I checked the resistance on the low pressure switch and its fine indicating gas in the system voltage either side of the switch, further wiring checks revealed only 0.5 volts at the relay and the compressor connector. I have cleaned and checked all the earths in the engine bay. so time to check it for faults on my mates Delphi scanner no fault codes present and passed the self test yet no cold air or compressor cutting in. the next day got in it to drive my daughter to school and thought its freezing in here pulled over to check and the compressor is engaged a\c working! adjusted the temputure and it stopped.
Just had a mate round with IDS and he checked the system, no fault codes listed passed the self test yet the compressor isn't engaging no cold air.
before I carry out 10 pages of pin checks from Ford etis has anyone had a similar problem or any thoughts on my problem.
Thanks
Steve
Old 25-07-2013, 07:11 PM
murruk01
Virgin

Forgot to add the fan is coming on when the a\c is turned on.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
murruk01
Virgin

Still cant get to the bottom of this, the a\c works when the car is cold, once its warmed up if I turn the engine off and restart nothing! seems to be a heat related sensor problem or could it be PCM