Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Display module showing door open Xr4I

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
XR4i man
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display module showing door open Xr4I

Hi all

I wonder if someone can help with this problem. The drivers door shows intermittantly as being open on the graphic display module when its shut. it does go out but comes back again. is the module connected to the door switch and if not any ideas where i should fault find this problem

thanks in advance Dave

PS
the car is a 1983 2 door

Last edited by XR4i man; 09-07-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: missed stuff off :(
Old 20-07-2013, 06:14 AM
4x4kiwi
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Dave. The 'Door Ajar' switches are actually mounted to the door locks themselves and are cliped in with two little hooks that are easily broken. Usually if the switches are actually disconnected (electrically)the doors will flash open and closed for a bit of time after power up before defaulting closed but obviously not working when opened. Between the switches and the graphic display module is another box of tricks called from memory the 'Auxiliary warning module' which also drives the group of dash lights (on an XR4i) for such things as radiator and washer fluid water level etc. I did work on this system many years ago including swapping wiring from a faulty circuit to another working circuit (say for a different door that is used in a four door car) and even changing a header board inside the module, but I would say in the UK your best bet would to be to get another auxillary warning module from a wrecker (breaker) or on Ebay. they were also in ghia's and possibly others so should not be so hard to find. I am at work else could probably find the part number on the box to search for. Hope this helps David (also)
Old 21-07-2013, 07:12 PM
XR4i man
Virgin

Hi David, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I eventually found the door ajar switch myself by doing some investigating. I wrongly assumed to start with that the door switches fed the module. After a while mucking about with this and getting no where I took the door card off and found the door ajar switch on the lock as you say. It just needed a good clean and some WD40. Job done and half a day! Thanks and best wishes Dave
Old 21-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Longdog3004
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the same problem mate how did you sort this out mate?
Old 21-07-2013, 09:18 PM
XR4i man
Virgin

David(4x4 kiwi) instructions seem to cover it really. in my case the door ajar was working intermittantly so i guessed it was something minor. I took the door card off and managed to clean and spray a large amount of WD40 over the lock mech on the far right of the door. if that does not work you might need to take the whole lock mechanism off and give the door ajar switch a better clean and inspection. dont forget to give the whole door a good clean out whilst you have the panel off. Being a big believer in wd40 i gave it all a vacuum out and i sprayed a load into the botton of the door to keep the rust off...hope you have the same luck Dave

PS i also re-polythened the door with fresh polythene to re-seal the door

Last edited by XR4i man; 21-07-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 21-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Longdog3004
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers mate