Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

slave cylinder help please

Search this Thread

Old 29-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Chris Harris
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slave cylinder help please

hello ,
I have a 2004 focus 1.8 tdci estate and have gear oil getting through on to my clutch plate causing slip ,
I had a complete new clutch kit (with DMF) fitted last october so its still in the 12 months warranty period ,
basically all I need to know is do these vehicle have the type of slave cylinder that has the input shaft oil seal incorporated in to the slave cylinder ?
if they do then that would explain how this issue has happened , the slave cylinder what they have fitted either has a bad or damaged lip seal that is supposed to seal around the input shaft and keep the gear oil in the gear box
Ive found images of the mk2 slave cylinder and they do have the seal but i cant find any images of the mk1 cylinders , i just need to make sure ive done my home work and have the facts b4 i go complaining at the garage .
Thanks alot Chris ..
Old 29-05-2013, 10:49 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take it back mate, they will investigate, and if it turns out to be a faulty part from manufacture then the garage can fit a new. One under warranty and cla their costs back from the parts company.

My dad did it on his, he had a 3 year parts and labour warranty on his new clutch and it had to be changed 8 months later, he didn't pay a penny and the garage replaced it.
Old 30-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Chris Harris
Virgin

hi thanks for the reply .
I will pop in to the garage today and see what they say I just wanted to find out for sure that its quite possible a duff part that has been fitted causing the leak then i could be sure it will be sorted and i wont get a bill that i would struuggle to pay ,
cheers .. chris ..
Old 30-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Chris Harris
Virgin

ok update
i took it back today and they test drove it and confirmed yes there is slip there , but didnt seem to believe me when i stated there is oil getting through and contaminated the friction plate , I know its soaked with gear oil in there i took the starter out and had a look , they are gona have it in next week and pull the gearbox to investigate I would love to be a fly on the wall when they look inside and see it all dripping wet with gear oil
Old 31-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Chris Harris
Virgin

haha check out this find , i think i rest my case !!!

http://www.valeoservice.com/data/mas...E56A6B0D83.pdf
Old 31-05-2013, 12:01 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

so long as it is gear oil and not engine oil coming from the rear crank seal
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Chris Harris
Virgin

ok just as an update on this issue .

the problem was indeed gear oil getting on to the clutch plate caused by a badly fitted slave cylinder , they basically took no care when fitting this and damaged the oil seal within the slave cylinder .

this was a big name garage known across the uk , one which i will never use again nor will my friends and family , I wont name the garage as i dont want to get done for slander ,all i will say is it was not a ford garage !

in a nutshell they knew they cocked up but didnt want to admit it , so it was a bit of a stand off situation , where they had my car all in bits and i needed my car back on the road , so we eventually meet in the middle , a very much cowboy outfit if ever i see one .
hope this helps someone in the future

Last edited by Chris Harris; 06-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.