Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo TDCI cutting out when clutch engaged / also a intermittent p0191 code

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2013, 08:26 PM
mrphil
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo TDCI cutting out when clutch engaged / also a intermittent p0191 code

Hi all,

I have a 2002 ford mondeo tdci, its the 130bhp,
ive only recently bought the car, its currently on 171,000, when i picked it up my diagnostics wouldnt work so i threw caution to the wind and bought it.

It was in limp mode on the way home, so when i got back i scanned and found a knock sensor (bank1) error code, looked and found it unplugged, glow plug light wasnt working so ordered some new clocks, car runs fine now and no limp mode!

Ive had the car in a local delphi service garage to have a check over and leak off test for injectors just to give the all clear, everything come back fine except advisory on aux belt and tensioner, they forgot to print diagnostics print off for me so dragged it back in and done a scan, it come up with an intermittent fault - P0191 (fuel pressure)

So was told to book it in and they can have alook over it for me, anyway after some research, i found a big problem is the fuel filters, so i changed that today, and fitted a Delphi fuel filter, i emptied the contents of the old filter to make sure there was no swarf present indicating fuel pump, nothing except shit

anyway took it for a quick boot up the road, 1st, 2nd, then dipped the clutch to drop the box and slow down, the car immediatly cut out, dropped its revs, no power steering, no power, just dash lights - there was no coil light / eml, and car started up fine afterwards, so i turned around and booted it back up the road to the car park, done the same, foot down on clutch, car cuts out...

i plugged my super f in, no codes found, car was cold as i only went up and down the road, its done it before i done the fuel filter, and thought it could be linked to that, it doesnt do it when the car is at normal running temp..

ive rang the garage back, and booked it in for monday to have the tensioner and belt and crank pulley done, and they said they will have alook at the fault but it sounds very stange, not something common they come across, and said it sounds electrical, something is cutting the ecu out, so could be loom/harness....

any suggestions guys, as i said theres no codes, and ive changed the fuel filter, could the p0191 code be related? and what could the p0191 be related to? the garage will check the fuel pressure sensor voltage for me, and make sure its working correctly...

could we be looking at a bunged up EGR? i can blank this off not a problem.

I was having the car remapped tonight and the guy opted out due to the problem, and not wanting to make it worse, also the delphi garage recommended i didnt incase it effects any diagnostic work they might need to do...