Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford fiesta 1.3 2002 finesse: cannot disable alarm

Search this Thread

Old 19-03-2013, 10:31 PM
hondolane
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford fiesta 1.3 2002 finesse: cannot disable alarm

Hello all. Absolutely new to the board, just hoping someone can help. I bought the car from a dealer this week. It's low mileage, full service history and general condition prompted me to buy it as a runabout. The car is automatically alarmed when i turn off the engine and remove the key. The alarm light flashes on the panel showing it as being in operation. How do I get it to stop flashing as i don't need the alarm on in the garage?
I lock the door with the ignition key, and I then unlock it as per the owner's handbook instructions, which tell me that the alarm will then be disarmed. But this makes no difference and the alarm light on the panel continues to flash. I'm planning to go on holiday at Easter and don't want to come back and find that the battery is flat. Unfortunately the warranty doesn't cover the electrics. Is there something i should be doing that i have missed.
Thanks and great site by the way.
Old 19-03-2013, 11:45 PM
hondolane
Virgin

Sorry for misleading you folks. I have just looked up the details of the car on the FORD ETIS site and I have been under the wrong impression. It was never equipped with an alarm. I read the owner's handbook and was under the impression when I see the indicator light in the instruments cluster (the padlock) flashing that that was telling me the car is now alarmed. Nevertheless it doesn't go off if I open either of the doors but it does go off once I have started the engine. There must be some simple answer to this, but I can't spot it. So I am still hoping one of you guys will suss out where I am going wrong. Thanks for reading my posts..
Old 20-03-2013, 12:54 PM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not an alarm, they don't have alarms unless aftermarket.
It's the immobiliser light, it will flash while the cars not running, you can't turn it off.... No idea why you want too either tbh.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:10 PM
hondolane
Virgin

Originally Posted by rsfido_1989
It's not an alarm, they don't have alarms unless aftermarket.
It's the immobiliser light, it will flash while the cars not running, you can't turn it off.... No idea why you want too either tbh.
Thanks for replying. Sorry to be such an idiot too. I had a good look at the owner's handbook and quickly realized that the immobiliser light is a permanent feature and that it will always flash away as long as the key is not in the ignition. I also realize that the Fiesta isn't alarmed. But the thought did occur to me that if I garage it for a couple of weeks, whilst I am out of the country, it might run the battery down. That was all.

You are quite right to ask why I would want to stop it from flashing too, it's just that my BMW 5 series, which i have owned for 12 years, is almost 20 years old and it is alarmed but always garaged so I don't need to leave the alarm on flashing away for long periods. I have had a flat battery with it a couple of times, always when it is garaged, so didn't want that to happen to the Fiesta.

Thanks again for replying. I shall go away and stand in the dunces corner for the rest of the evening now.