Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.6 zetec lumpy idle / starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Gary Linn
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 zetec lumpy idle / starting issues

Hi all, a bit new here, I have issues with starting my fiesta, I will try and be as thorough as possible.

2005 Fiesta MK6.5 1.6 zetec S

The car starts fine when warm , but when it has been left for a time to cool down that's when I get my issue.

Bought the car just under two weeks ago, the second hand trader has given us a 80 day mechanical warranty (engine and gearbox)

The car developed a issue a few days after we bought it. On a cold start, it was cranking and idling really rough,sputtering almost, with the added white smoke from the exhaust (aftermarket one) you had rev the engine for it to run smoothly.

I had the battery testes and forked out £106.99 for a new 5 year Bosch as the cold start amp was 49% when left over night - thought this would solve my problem.

I left the car to cool down again to test the new battery and the majority of the time it starts fine. But i am still getting the rough idle with a bit of white smoke when you first start it from cold. I didnt rev the engine this time and it cut out again , if you rev the car its fine.

I have read about possible injectors needing cleaned? checking the MAF sensor and also checking the spark plugs? but I have no idea where the MAF sensor is on this model? crankcase breather pipe? (dont know where that is) the list is endless....

Surley there is someone else out there with the same problem

I dont want to take it back to the dealers as its 20miles away in Southampton, and the issues only seems to be when the engine has cooled right down (couple of hours)

Please help, any suggestions would be amazing, im just stumped.

Last edited by Gary Linn; 04-02-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

If there is white smoke from the exhaust, this is un burnt fuel, so I would suggest looking at the ignition system. Coil packs do fail on these, could be worth trying a new set of plugs and leads too. Use genuine ford parts, often the same price as aftermarket items and will work the best!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Gary Linn
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks, how do you test for the ignition system? im guessing its just whiteish smoke as its first thing in the morning? as it never does this at any other time