Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Exhaust cam seized - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 31-10-2009, 08:29 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Exhaust cam seized - What to do?

Hi,

Just had the #3 bearing seize on my Cosworth. Probably due to some debris in the oil clogging the oil line to the bearing.

Took the bearing retainer off and there was some damage to it. Metal from the head/bearing had melted onto the cam.

Since there is no bearing shells to change, what is the procedure to repair this? Is the head salvageable or do I need a new head (and camshaft obviously)?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shell can be salvaged by milling to take a shell bearing proper, on just that one bit, not often done, as not often a problem.
Failing that if you have some more caps check the tightness with a replacement cap, if ok can use that.
A lot of places inc ford garages mix and match the caps I have found, seemingly to no detriment, presumably they were all pretty close to start with.
tabetha
Old 01-11-2009, 04:06 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tabetha, will look into that. I have a spare head (with other damage) so will check if the bearing cap #3 will fit (or rather if it still makes a "round hole" for the camshaft when used on the cyl. head that's on the car.).