Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Standard Coorporate Protocol (SCP) and EEC V

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Standard Coorporate Protocol (SCP) and EEC V

Are there any EEC V ECU experts on here???

Specifically im trying to find out info on the SCP bus (ecu pins 15 and 15) and how this can be used to control an ST170 dash.

Now as i understand it, the SCP Bus on the focus ST170 takes its vehicle speed, engine coolant speed and tacho feeds direct from the ECU on the bus by comminicating with the ECU.

What i need to know is, was SCP part of ALL EEC V ecus regardless of if the dash/other equipment needed it???

ie can i hook up a dash to the appropriate SCP pins and it will comminicate or are there specific hardware/software barriers to prevent me doing so??

what im aiming to do is wire in the focus dash SCP into the EEC V ecu on my current puma, but obviously this is only worth doing if the ECU is capable of doing so.....

Worst case id fit a focus or another SCP enabled EEC V ecu and hook up the sensors i want and ignore the error codes!!!

Anyone experience with SCP who can advise????
Old 20-08-2009, 10:10 AM
sailorbob
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ST170 uses the Visteon 'Black Oak' ecu (PowerPC mcu), quite a bit different form the eec-v (Intel 8065 mcu). I'd be surprised if the communication protocols are the same.
Old 20-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

i am aware they use the "blackoak" processor but its still within ford EEC V architechture with the EECV 104 pin connector with the standard EECV pinouts.

including importantly ford SCP databus to dash and the OBD series DLC. Its actually labelled as SCP databus on the wiring diagrams for the ST170.

BUT im not using an ST170 ecu on my car so thats not the issue.

What i specifically NEED to know is will the SCP databus pins on my own EECV module still supply a working databus or is the databus isolated within the ECU???
for example the puma ECU does not supply the SCP Databus to the dash unit as its not needed, YET it does supply SCP databus connections to the data link connector for diagnositics.

now the DLC when plugged into the fords diagnostic gear is able to comminicate with the ECU via the SCP bus.

But is this SCP bus connection triggered by a signal down one of the other DLC pins or is it a self sufficient databus that the ECU will respond to as soon as it recieves a message via the SCP???

i ask this as then in theory it doesnt matter if its ford diagnostic gear or a dashboard sending messages to the ECU as long as its the correct protocol and the ECU can provide the data requested.

Thats the kind of level i need to be getting into with the databus.

Does anyone know enough about it???
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM
EFI-Unlimited
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vehicles with an electronic dash do not request the data from the PCM. The PCM autonomously sends the appropiate sensor data. Not all PCM's send this information. I assume vehicles with an electronic dash do, and those without don't. I also assume threre might be some exceptions to the rule.

Now, the second question is, "Is all the dash data transmitted in a standard format?". I am not 100% sure, as I have never looked that hard, but I would be willing to bet it is.

The SVT Focus does use the PPC processor, but the SCP data seems to be the same as the EEC-V asfaik.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

because its got 160mph clocks and they have electrolumenescence of the dials.

Plus its different from the standard dash so why not!!!

Brian, how does the ECU know which data to send in that case?? The SCP databus within ford EEC V also feeds the Data Link Connector so it can be used for other data than just speed sensor/rpm.

eg ive used an early EECV ECU (from a car with analogue dash) on a later digidash car (dash fed speed/rpm via SCP can bus) and the digi dash functioned fine so the ECU must be somehow able to "detect" the digidash either due to sending out test messages on start up etc or the dash sending messages to the ecu triggering the data stream.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 AM
EFI-Unlimited
Virgin

I sounds like you got lucky and the PCM from the older vehicle coincidentally had the dash data available. As for knowing what to send, it is hard coded into the PCM what data is broadcast over the network.

The messages sent to the dash are different than the messages that are exchanged between a diagnostic tool and the PCM. They are unrelated.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
ecudev
Virgin

Default SCP

HI Warren,
You may be able to interface to the PCM via SCP then feed signals to the dash if it doesn't hook up to the SCP protocol?

I notice you say SCP was on pin 15 and pin 15. A typo?

Is yours a 60 pin EEC-V ?

I am trying to wire one of these up on the bench (catch code CHCA)

My ECU is from a Ford Fiesta mark 5 Zetec (same as Puma?) I have EEC-V on the label, with a 60 pin connector (3 rows x 20 pins)

I have tried pin 2 of OBD to pin 18 of ECU and pin 10 of OBD to pin 19 of ECU, with 12 V to ECU pins 1,5 and ground (0v) to ECU pins 20,16, 37,57, 26,40, but I cannot initialise the ECU with SCP / J1850 PWM protocol.

Trending Topics

Old 13-03-2010, 07:23 AM
matt1983uk
Virgin

ecudev,

Mk5 Fiesta (2002-2008) does not have J1850 for OBD, it is CAN (6+14 on DLC)

Sorry scrap that, Mk5 is up to 1995-2002, I was thinking of Mk6!

Mk5 should indeed be EEC V

Matt

Last edited by matt1983uk; 13-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.