Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Xr3i misfire-hydraulic cam followers?

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2009, 02:05 AM
j.johnson23
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xr3i misfire-hydraulic cam followers?

Hi all.I`m new to this site and have a problem with the hyd cam followers pumping up.I`ve done a compression check when cold and get 135psi on all cyls.When I rev through gears on the road I get a misfire around 5000 rpm and engine will not rev any higher.Checked compression when hot after the run and only got 112 psi!When I backed off the rocker and nipped it up to give a slight clearence on No1 I got 135 psi again.I think lifters are pumping up.Oil is a semi synthetic 5/30.Lifters squeeze down in vice without too much effort and cam lobes are all ok(lift checked with a dti).Does anyone know if the vave springs suffer from going soft as that may be a cause from what i`ve been told.Engine is a CVH type by the way and ignition system has been changed as I thought it was that at first. It`s starting to get me down now so any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanking you all in advance,PAUL.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:09 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the same as you, would be tempted to try a new, or uprated set of valve springs first, oil is ok, not really anything else comes to mind.
I assume the cam is modded ?
tabetha
Old 22-06-2009, 12:56 PM
j.johnson23
Virgin

Forgot to add that cam is standard lift and timing.It was in engine when I bought it.As it`s in such good condition i`m wondering if previous owner had same prob and thought cam was the problem and changed it before giving up.I only bought it for spares but engine cond was so good I put it in.Has anyone changed springs with one of those tools that lets you do job with head on engine?
Old 22-06-2009, 01:27 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piece of piss on the cvh, a rope is better though just keep threading through plug hole then bring piston up tpo hold valve shut, there is a tool that you can put in place of the rocker arm that just compresses the spring then, just take it easy will be fine.
tabetha
Old 26-04-2010, 06:06 PM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

To revive an older thread, i have very similar problem on mine. I suggested fatigued springs but my dad said that was stupid...

My idea was if its been sat for a year or so with one spring compressed then it may well have gone weaker?

God knows but compression is fine when hot and cold just misfires on light throttle and idle.