Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help filling scratched paint work an paint process

Search this Thread

Old 22-12-2008, 05:57 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help filling scratched paint work an paint process

Help plz! I have a couple of scratches on my bodykit im gutted, there deep as the wax coating on the fibre glass i no i need to fill first an was wondering if any1 no`s the proccess of repainting when ive filled them.
Any tips would be great
thanks people
Old 22-12-2008, 09:37 PM
blueskies85
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what i did with my arches after i had the welding done:

mask off the area you dont want paint on,

prime area

rub down fully till completely smooth

prime again to see for any high spots

remove masking tape

rub down till smooth (the lip of the primer where the tape was) and degrease area

very carefully feather the paint in, as long as it is a good colour match it should come up very nicely. I did the arches so they are mega visible and you cant tell!

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on! It was my first time painting such a high profile area and i was more than happy with the results.. I thought to myself it needs respraying but if i can do it on the cheap then im only loosing the cost of a few Halfords aerosols!
Old 22-12-2008, 10:16 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by blueskies85
what i did with my arches after i had the welding done:

mask off the area you dont want paint on,

prime area

rub down fully till completely smooth

prime again to see for any high spots

remove masking tape

rub down till smooth (the lip of the primer where the tape was) and degrease area

very carefully feather the paint in, as long as it is a good colour match it should come up very nicely. I did the arches so they are mega visible and you cant tell!

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on! It was my first time painting such a high profile area and i was more than happy with the results.. I thought to myself it needs respraying but if i can do it on the cheap then im only loosing the cost of a few Halfords aerosols!
cheers pal big help, sum twat reversed past my front end an scraped my cossie front bumper my front fogs have already been niicked so now it looks even worse.
ill give it a blast tho, im pretty good at picking things up the only thing is like wat u said with the paint match, i fell out with the lad that sprayed it 4 me so im gona have to find a proper paint supplier ive been told they can match the paint perfect.

Thanks again fella

p.s what do you mean by feather the paint on lol i no im a total bigginer
Old 22-12-2008, 10:25 PM
blueskies85

Im by no means an expert but i have just done the arches and they look really good, a lot better than i expected anyways.

Feathering in is a paint technique it basically means that you move away from the paint when you are past your scratch if that makes sense, to save putting a thick coat of paint all over the area that will leave a line and then have to be rubbed back.

Imagine when a wave breaks, it gently gets shallower and shallower when it hits the shore... a shit analogy but it kind of sums it up lol!
Old 22-12-2008, 10:27 PM
blueskies85

all the better if you can get a perfect match... if you want a professional finish then rub it all back with some 2000 grit wet and dry and it will all go smooth and lovely then.

I didnt bother with rubbing it back, just applied laquer and that was all, what colour is it btw as that can affect what the outcome is... apparently black is the hardest to do
Old 22-12-2008, 10:32 PM
rsvmad1
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by blueskies85
Im by no means an expert but i have just done the arches and they look really good, a lot better than i expected anyways.

Feathering in is a paint technique it basically means that you move away from the paint when you are past your scratch if that makes sense, to save putting a thick coat of paint all over the area that will leave a line and then have to be rubbed back.

Imagine when a wave breaks, it gently gets shallower and shallower when it hits the shore... a shit analogy but it kind of sums it up lol!

Think i get what you mean lol if it works for me then its all good, Ill give it a go should be alright! so when im finished if there is any over lap or so on then do i just get the finest wet an dry an give it a rub down or will that fuk my paint up? thanks m8