Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Magenta Rwd Sapph Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 15-01-2013, 06:18 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magenta Rwd Sapph Restoration

Hey guys, i'm AJ and i'm new to the forum. Just bought myself a 1990 rwd sapphire cosworth in need of a bit of TLC to get her back to her former glory. I've never done a restoration before and i'm a bit of a novice but fortunately i've entrusted the help of a good mate who just so happens to be a time served Ford technician and he will be keeping me right ( I hope )!! It will cost me a few beers i'm sure. Ok so here's what I know...

The Car as I said is a 1990 rwd sapphire in Magenta red with 3 previous owners and just under 82k on the clock with a folder full of history and everything would seem to point to it being a genuine example. It has been dry stored for the last 4 years as the previous owner ( a colleague from work ) had the intentions of doing a restoration but hadn't managed to get round to it due to family commitments.
After getting the car home and giving it a closer inspection it was needing a couple of things straight from the word go... a new battery was purchased breathing new life into her and is now starting and stopping with no issues at all. The near side front brake caliper was sticking so we set about freeing it off. As we removed the wheel we were greeted with a broken coil spring aswell so that was another thing onto the shopping list. After getting some air in the tyres I was able to take the car for a short run round the block to ensure everything was in order and am happy to report that it seems nice and lively. On return we found that the power steering pipe was leaking right at the bend which i'm told is relatively common so another add to the list.

Here are some pics i took after I gave it a much needed wash!

Old 15-01-2013, 06:25 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

nice project to have. some tlc will soon make it great again.
Old 15-01-2013, 06:27 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck looks a very good base for a project. Is it staying original or u going to modify it? Love magentas with Ambers and standard rims!
Old 15-01-2013, 06:27 PM
cossie891
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice I love magenta good luck mate
Old 15-01-2013, 06:29 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Cheers bud, yeah i'm hoping with time it will be a minter... Meeting with the local bodyshop this week to get an action plan together as bodywork is something i want to be done right and as i've not much experience in that department i thought it best left to the professionals! But i'm hoping to do a as much of the prep work as i can!
Old 15-01-2013, 07:15 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

good luck with it,will keep an eye on the build
Old 15-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Will be keeping an eye on this project.

Trending Topics

Old 15-01-2013, 08:05 PM
RSMK4TURBO
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 97 Likes on 94 Posts

Best of luck with it mate.
Old 16-01-2013, 08:44 PM
m11rcm
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Will also be keeping a eye on this if you need any help/advice don't be afraid to ask a have done a bit with saff's

Cheers marc
Old 16-01-2013, 10:08 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice base for a resto
But if you can afford it get the body shop to do as much prep as you can afford as a good finish depends on a good prep job
looking forward to the updates as a do love a nice magenta saff

Oh and welcome to passionford

David
Old 16-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Garethw1986
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

looks a good solid base, time to start spending
Old 16-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Borry
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Looks like it'll be a good project, good luck with it. At least you've a good car to start with.
Old 17-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Acidburn

Nice car and good base as mentioned above.

Only thing that is a shame is someone put that alarm thing on the dash, i've had it on a few cars I have bought before and really is annoying as it ruins the dash screwing it down.
Old 22-01-2013, 04:57 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Cheers for the positive feedback guys, Haven't had much of a chance to get on here recently but heres a quick update so far...

I spoke with the bodyshop and the long and short of it is the car appears to be in better nick than I expected, It will need two front doors replaced, two repairs to the front wings where the bumber mounts (wings are original and in good solid condition apart from these areas), drivers side rear wheel arch needs replacing then will be painted both sides including the boot floor and acouple of other small areas to tidy up but all in all not too bad, his words not mine!

I should also clarify that I wont be prepping the bodywork itself more the labour side of things i.e removing the bumpers and interior prior to it going into the bodyshop which is now looking like late February as that is the soonest they can accomodate it!

I now have a small shopping list of parts to find and I think I've managed to track down the majority of the stuff already but i'm curently stuck offshore at work so there wont be much progress now for a couple of weeks. I have taken some pics of the 'bad bits' and will upload them when i get a chance so you can see a visual!

Cheers for now
Old 24-01-2013, 07:34 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice to see a late 2wd saff there getting thin on the ground now.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:10 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Liking this mate

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67e882ae.jpg

Looks nice sat like that
Old 25-01-2013, 08:09 AM
ajhm
Virgin

Cheers guys, am lookinig forward to the finished product but still a long way to go! Right, as promised here are some pics of the worse affected areas....

Front wing drivers side, wing is original and generally solid but the area behind and surrounding the bumper mounting has a bit of rot, the bodyshop think its not too bad and will be easy to repair instead of disturbing the original welding but i'm sure we will get a better idea when bumper is off and car is on the ramp...

Drivers side rear arch and into sill?? This will definately require cutting out and replacing, also notice damage o the sideskirt, looks like the result of a poorly positioned jack at some point!

Bootlid - Is actually solid but thers is a bit of rust running along the lip. You will notice the push button and lock have been removed, this was due to both being seized. A trip in to my local ford dealer was on order here to raid the spares bin and we managed to free off the button and replace the tumblers for good measure but I will be leaving it off untill the bodywork has been done!

The boot floor - After removing the boot liner, spare wheel etc for a proper inspection of the boot pan we were pleasantly surprised that there are no signs of any previous damage and again seems solid apart from a small hole approx the size of a 2p coin in the offside rear corner. The rust you see in the spare wheel well is more just surface marks and dust of the jack and spare wheel which I have yet to give a good clean!

Near side front coil spring - Not so easy to spot as the car has been lowered but as I mentioned before the spring is broken, need to get a set ordered up, any ideas on which brand to use? It is fitted with a Bilstein kit all round so was thinking on sticking with Bilstein??

Thats all the pics I have for now as im back offshore, the car is now tucked up in the garage as there is a lot of snow at home so I will get stuck in once I get home!
Old 25-01-2013, 09:01 AM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice base to start with. Will keep an eye on this. And welcome
Old 25-01-2013, 10:52 AM
cossietim
C10 OSY

Good base to start with mate, won't take much to get that grot sorted. Personally i would go for coilovers but thats personal preference, depends what your going to use it for? fast rd, trak or just a daily? Keep with the Bilstens for daily or go koni. Keeping my eye on this as its a lovely colour
Old 26-01-2013, 09:18 AM
ajhm
Virgin

Cheers Tim, Plan is to make it a long term keeper for fair weather days etc, not gonna be a daily driver or track day machine so probably fast road would fit the bill!! I've possibly got the chance of a set of used Koni's so may take them depending on condition... or will just replace the Bilstein springs with new ones!
Old 26-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Keep up the good work matey.Saffs look lovely in this colour.
Old 27-01-2013, 10:03 AM
ajhm
Virgin

Cheers Glen, gotta admit Magenta is one of my fav Cossie colours, followed by white and Moonstone!

Small update I guess, I've been in contact with a guy who lives close by that rally's 2 Sierra's and turns out he has an Aladdins cave full of goodies so here's what i've managed to throw in to the deal - at a very fair price I may add...

1 x Front Passenger Door in very good condition (Already have new Drivers side as it came with the car)
1 x Set of Morette Twin Headlights
1 x 4 Spoke RS Steering Wheel
1 x Set of Genuine Cossie Sideskirts

These are all pending collection but I am ensured everything is in the best of shape and I will upload some pics when I get home!

Last edited by ajhm; 27-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 27-01-2013, 12:40 PM
nuttynil
RS nutta

Nice project subscribed to this .
Old 27-01-2013, 01:17 PM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

looking promising.
have you thought of using the late type boot lock? apparently if you hit the early type with a hammer it will unlock, whether locked or unlocked. just a thought for security.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:53 AM
ajhm
Virgin

It will be a while before the car goes anywhere near the road so for the meantime it's garaged 24/7 under lock and key. I wasn't aware of that issue but sounds like definately something to consider... can't say i'm entirely surprised though as when we took the lock apart it looked like you could get past it without too much effort!
Old 27-02-2013, 12:17 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Hi guys, haven't been able to get on here much recently as the GF is 8 months pregnant so a bit quiet on the Cossie front at the mo...

However I do have a bit of an update to share so here goes...

Got the new passenger door I was needing so this will go along with the new drivers door I have as the originals have gone at the bottom

Picked up a set of twin headlights also, not sure about these tbh! I bought them thinking they were genuine Morrettes as that's what the seller said they were but on further inspection I now beleive they may be replica's or another manufacturer? Any thoughts guys?

I decided to go ahead and rub them down and carry out a few repairs at the same time, they are now repaired and primed but i'm afraid I don't have any other pics at the mo as i'm back offshore!!

Here is the 4-spoke RS wheel I got, no idea which model this would of come from originally? As you can see from the pic it could really do with a bit of a refurb due to sun exposure I suspect, any suggestions on what best to use? Some sort of leather dye perhaps? The metal could also do with a paint so I think I'll have a go with a rattle can at some point!

And last but not least an ebay bargain! A GGR carbon triple gauge mount with GGR Boost gauge, not sure yet whether to just use the gauge and not bother with the carbon or whether to try and track down some GGR gauges of the same era but I cant seem to find any on their website or ebay!

Well thats about it for now, spoke to the bodyshop whilst I was at home and they are hoping to take the car in mid to late March now, seems an age away but I'm sure it will come round soon enough! The missus due date is mid March so i may have to take some time out to brush up on my parenting skills

Chow for Now
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
ajhm
Virgin

Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice project there mate
Look forward to the progress
Old 18-06-2013, 03:16 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Hi folks, sorry for the delay in updates been busy with the missus giving birth and the whole new baby thing!
Not much to post at the moment apart from the car is now in the bodyshop still in the preparation stages, I've been in contact with the guy carrying out the work and he's going to send me some pics to show progress so hopefully have them soon and I will get them up!
Old 18-06-2013, 04:47 PM
cossie daz

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the baby
Old 18-06-2013, 07:58 PM
RoscoST

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on becoming a Dad mate

Looks like a great little project for you ! , Id dearly love a saph cossie myself but funds just simply wont allow at present , I love reading about people restoring them on here , and this will be another one saved ...., top Job !
Old 22-06-2013, 06:12 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks a neat motor that,makes me miss my saff,good luck with the baby and car,and when you put the badge back on put it in the right place
Old 13-07-2013, 06:10 AM
J277 WAR
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

This looks a great project good luck with it
Old 13-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Mondi-DZK

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Congrats with the baby The car will take some more time now to finish
Old 14-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Lee Grout
PassionFord Regular

Colour will look well nice once its all sprayed and buffed up. I couldnt tell if the lights are replicas or not. May just be the lamps have been replaced or summit!?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM
ajhm
Virgin

Thanks for the comments guys, getting used to the parenting thing now and the lack of time to get any jobs done, haha!!

As promised i'm back with an update and some pics, better late than never as they say!

So, the car is still in the bodyshop and the progress is slow going due to their workload.... but, their has been progress!!

Here she is in her current state, the front bumper has been removed to carry out repairs to both wings around the bumper mounting brackets.
Name:  null_zpsde5febbf.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  null_zpsa69c0eb5.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  null_zps0197b20c.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  104.2 KB

The sideskirts were removed to have a better look at the floor and sills, here are the findings

Name:  null_zps02cd551b.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  94.5 KB

Nasty hole / dodgy repair on the passenger foot well...

Name:  null_zps9740a18e.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  96.1 KB

So they proceeded to cut out the worst parts and are currently waiting on some sheet metal to continue the repairs...

Name:  null_zps5674fb37.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  69.6 KB

So next on the agenda will be fitting new rear quarters which we managed to source along with 2 rear doors which i also managed to get hold off so when the car is prepped and ready for paint it will all be solid and rust free... or at least that's the plan! I will now have to sit back and wait patiently for the bodyshop to work their magic as now i have supplied all that they need! So untill the next update, laters!!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

It looks as rotton as my sills on my saff.Keep up the good work.Has the bodyshop given you a price on repairing the sill and floor??
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
XR4i - Sebastian
Sierra Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck I love magenta
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Good to see it being saved
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
SMILER258