Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

teamSPB Focus RS....My idea of the Perfect SQL install and other bits!

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2010, 06:36 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Default teamSPB Focus RS....My idea of the Perfect SQL install and other bits!

This install has been playing and installed for a while now but thought I would collate all build pics and create one proper thread for the car's install!

Spec of the audio is

Pioneer P90RS headunit + DEQ90 Processor
Tru Tech Billet 6 6 channel amp (Now sold)
2 x Mosconi AS100.4 amps - 1 amp for tweeters and midrange and other amp bridged for midbass
CDT ES01 Tweeters
CDT ES04 midrange
Hybrid Audio L6 midbass
Tru Tech Hammer
Ascendant Audio Havoc 12" sub in ported box
Knu Konceptz power cables
The Chord company RCA's
The Chord company silver speaker cable
XS Power D2400 in the rear

The idea of the car was to create an install which would play very clean, very accurate, and which would give me an all round SQ type bass and still be able to drop the jaws of everyone who sits in it! Having had God knows how many people sit in the car, EVERY single one walks out with a HUGE grin on their face often muttering the words, I cant believe thats 1 12!

The staging and depth of the system is very very good...especially considering I wanted this to not only play clean, but play loud to! I needed the best of both worlds (loud and as accurate as I could get it), so whether an SQ fanatic or a bass head was to sit in the car...they will, touch wood, be impressed!

A few reasons behind my choosings;

Pioneer P90 + DEQ - Awesome processing power for not too much money (second hand)...does everything you could want it to, and has very good system flexibility...only fall back is you cant play your midrange lower than 200hz from memory...other than that, its perfect for what I wanted!

CDT ES01 + ES04 - Simply put, the ES01 tweeters play silky clean and delivery no harshness whatsoever...feeding them 100wrms and they sing plenty loud! Have sat in far too many cars with harsh tweeters and these are more refined, a bit more laid back, but deliver even the brightest of sparkles!

The ES04 - complement the tweeters perfectly...They are also very good mounting in the kick panels firing towards the gearstick still managing to give the illusion the midrange is up in the dash somewhere

Hybrid Audio L6 - An awesome midbass driver...having a paper cone means these will play the lows naturally well and at the time was exactly what I was looking for! They love to take power but you need to make sure the doors are sealed up fully

Mosconi AS100.4 - I have played around with the AS300.2 and I was blown away by the warmth and depth it gave my system! I could hear instruments I couldnt hear too well before and it brought the whole system to life! All of this was NOT in the Focus...it was in my Previa!!! This IMMEDIATELY made me realise these would be the replacements in the Focus when the Tru Tech sells! I hope they live up to my expectations!!

Ascendant Audio Havoc 12 - Quite simply put, THE best SQL sub I have ever heard! They deliver the same tight and warm bass something like the CDT QES1220 delivers...but with SO much more volume!! As you turn the volume higher and higher...the bass does not lose any quality in any way shape or form! It just simply plays CLEAN at ALL volume levels! Given me a best score of 142.5db @ 31hz so far...wonder if I can better it!

Tru Tech Hammer - Quite simply put, one of the best sub amps out there! Everyone I know who had one has regretted selling it! This may be my life partner! LOL! VERY power hungry though so make sure you beef up the electrical system in the car if you decide to buy one...if you can find it!

XS Power D2400 - The worlds loudest use XS Power...so its good enough for me

Build pics coming soon
Old 28-12-2010, 06:39 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Powermaster D2400 - 2000CCA + 87Ah

KnuKonceptz Fleks 0g power cable

Tweeter builds - Angled up slightly and ever so slightly angled in

Kick Panel builds - modelled these on the ES04's as the cut out is JUST bigger than the L4's, depending on how each perform, the best sounding one to my ear will stay

Firing towards the middle near the gearstick...so slightly off axis

Custom Speaker adapters for the ES07 or L6

Old 28-12-2010, 06:40 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Epic ready to be dismantled...Display is being relocated elsewhere in the car

Was thinking of putting the amp here...but now decided against it...

Ill post more pics when i get the chance

teamSPB
Old 28-12-2010, 06:41 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

found the camera after ripping the house down lol!

Working on the battery/fuse tray at the moment...As well as having no space to put the battery elsewhere, im lucky enough not to have a spare wheel in the car as standard...instead a can of tyre weld...

Battery tray being built up

powermaster D2400's new home! As well as the fuse holders etc...the small junction box you see in the picture will change for something else...hopefully will update you all on that tomorrow!

ALL cable runs have been secured down to the floor every roughly 6-8inches as well as EVERYTHING being braided over and heatshrinked ends etc

The new install layout will be like this...while the Billet 6 will go on the sub box behind perspex etc

Mids fitted and slight modifications needed to doors (needed to trim back the card slightly to clear the speakers...none of this can be seen with the card back on

Few pics of the headunit in place...

looks like at home with the Boost controller dont it

Boost guage is being relocated into the air vent and a few touches added to the pocket below the stereo! will update while its all happening!

teamSPB
Old 28-12-2010, 06:42 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Got some more work done today!

Firstly, sprayed up the fuse holder/battery tray in black...looks so much better now...

Then got down to wiring up all the split charge relay bits and bobs...I run a Stinger SPG32 (or similar part number...basically the replacement to the SR200 lol) alongside a SRVG Stinger Voltage gaurd...bit like an intelligent charging system with voltage indicator etc...ill go a bit more into depth about the installation of this in the next few days when i go to mount the LED etc...everything is done now including cutting up all the cables for the power/speakers/rca's etc...all braided up and heatshrinked also. All that needs doing now is neatening it all up and securing it all down

With the Tru Tech Hammer, I want to run 0g cable for it which then is reduced to a 4g end just to make sure i wont strangle the amp in any way (even though the amp is close to the battery...its better to be safe and overspec, rather than be sorry and wish you did something)...For this, I used Stinger reducers...however, they wouldnt fit into the 4g inputs for the amp ...out came the angle grinder lol

With a big of negotiation, this happened

Im going to heatshrink the ends of the reducers as well to ensure there is no way they could ever make contact with eachother considering they are quite close!

Few pics of the GORGEOUS Billet 6!

Knu Konceptz fusing throughout

more pics coming...

bassboy
Old 28-12-2010, 06:43 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

the amps will be going as follows now:

they were just mocked up just to see if everything will sit the way i wanted it to...the battery will be cut out so you can see the logo through the false floor...I still need to make a top cover with perspex and company logo's to go ontop of the amps/line driver/eq/battery...hopefully that will be done on friday!

Cant wait to finish it all now...just want to get it playing so i can have some music back in the car! Still need to do all the custom fascia and heater vents etc for the front of the car...touch wood, that will be finished next week!

The trimmers are taking ages to trim my A pillars and kick panel builds but once they are back they will go straight into the car and hopefully wired up! All the cabling has been ran just a matter or getting the amp etc in!

bassboy
Old 28-12-2010, 06:45 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

right time for a bit of an update....

not had much of a chance to work on it much over the past few days...however, this arrived in the post for me

fused 12way distribution block with built in earth distribution to...will help me out big time to wire up all the fans, relays, line driver, eq etc etc in the boot...nice little junction box there to keep everything neat and tidy!

kick panels trimmed...

making sure the speaker fits

tight squeeze near the pedal...

Build will actually sit like this once its all clipped and secured in properly

I hope there is plenty of room for my foot to clear when im peddling it lol

Tweeter builds also finished

Quick look from the outside of the car

Im still undecided what colour to paint the tweeters...keep them grey or paint them black? or cream to match the alcantara? lol

bassboy

Trending Topics

Old 28-12-2010, 06:46 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

quick update:

Front end is practically complete now...everything trimmed and installed...

not bad for a colour match on the a pillar trims...

box is complete...although not in this pic...whats not shown is the finished radded port, top panel (obviously lol), FGing, painted finish and the smoothing of the corners on the port itself

its made from birch - 36mm front panel and 18mm sides, back, top and bottom

and the cadidates of subs...all used and tested N.B resting on the test box for the Q and havoc lol

that is all for now

bassboy
Old 28-12-2010, 06:46 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Looking good! Did you get the car sorted? Remember you were having problems with it cutting out and running like a bag of shit a few weeks back.
Old 28-12-2010, 06:47 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Finally managed to get everything trimmed up and tidied etc for T17! been a mad rush getting 5 cars done in 5 days! Need to add the finishing touches to everything tomorrow! Then detail 2 cars...should be fun!

The install has done a 141.8db @ 30hz in current guise from the single sub and 1200wrms and yet retains all the quality in the world!! Cant complain about any aspect of it to be honest and am delighted with the overall image...

Trim panels being built

Old 28-12-2010, 06:49 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

bassboy
Old 28-12-2010, 06:56 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rich170
Looking good! Did you get the car sorted? Remember you were having problems with it cutting out and running like a bag of shit a few weeks back.
Hi Rich I did indeed! it was the lambda sensor in the end!! Right ball ache that was! It wasnt faulty as such..it was reading a little slow...so by the time it had adjusted to the fuelling to suit the load, you already had changed throttle position if you get what I mean...it was basically lagging around 1-2seconds behind
Old 28-12-2010, 07:48 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do miss the old days of big systems! makes me want to stick a sub back in the boot lol.

Looks like a great build. Is the boot install going to remain rattle canned though or you gonna wrap it in leather something?
Old 29-12-2010, 09:42 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Ram, the back is covered in black vynil mate..I paint the wood as I like being extra LOL! Also helps with sealing the MDF

Since the Tru Tech was shipped off last week to its new owner, I ordered up the replacement amps for it...

Since I used the Mosconi AS300.2 in the Previa running the midranges, I feel in love with the warmth and clarity the amp delivered...it was night and day difference between the SPL Dynamics S6002! I know the difference will be big between a 'loud' type amp compared to a SQ based amp...but I was truely blown away by the sound the Mosconi was able to deliver!

Since then, ive always said to myself they will be going into the focus at some point!

The amps themselves are SO elegant and look plain awesome!

The ones I have gone for are 2 AS100.4's....its specs are

100 Watt per channel @ 4 Ohm
155 Watt per channel @ 2 Ohm
310 Watt bridged mode @ 4 Ohm
480 Watt bridged mode @ 2 Ohm

One 4 channel will be running 4 x 100wrms to my CDT ES01's and CDT ES04 midrange drivers...and the other 4channel will be bridged giving 310wrms x 2 to my Hybrid Audio L6 midbass drivers...

I will be changing the front end at some point, but just looking around to see what will work with the system!

PIcs

Detailed instructions

4g inputs

80a fuse nicely tucked out the way

X-over settings

This is how they will be placed in the Focus

Cant wait to get them in!!!!

teamSPB
Old 29-12-2010, 09:43 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Last few images of the Tru Tech while it was in the car

Good bye to what will most probably THE most expensive amp ill ever own at £2500!!!

So on with installing the new amps!!

Boot cleared up a bit

All tabs removed so I could screw it to the box

Masking tape...my new best friend lol! Just marking up where the centre line was and didnt fancy drawing onto the vynil itself

Both amps offered up

Chord RCAs

Extra fuse holder and Knu Konceptz Fleks 4g was needed

Gettng there!

Please note this install in this layout is only temp hence not going overly mad with the cabling etc...I will be moving things around and a possible redesign when it warms up a bit

teamSPB
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Amps are in and wired up now!!

Initial impressions are damn these amps have some power!!! They seem to have ALOT more power than my Billet 6 did bringing the whole front end a damn site louder and more at ease with the levels off bass from the sub...The sound is very clinical and warm but as with everytime you change equipment, I need to sit down for a while and set everything up again...but one thing is for sure...it DEFINATELY has made the front end alot more livlier!!

Hopefully ill have more report about the SQ of the Mosconi's in the next few days when I find some time to tweek the Focus some more!

teamSPB
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
xrt-mart
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving the both the build threads on here mate but where do you get the carpet and vinyl from?