Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

S2 RS Turbo - might be a project...

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2006, 03:45 PM
JohnTee
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2 RS Turbo - might be a project...

Hi,

So, I've owned the RS Turbo pictured below since Dec 98. I used it as a daily driver for 3 years or so, then for a bunch of reasons, she ended up getting laid up.

At first I was fairly good about running her up regularly and running up and down the drive a bit, to keep things loose. Never knowing if I wanted to sell her or not. Although I will admit to failing in this duty over the last couple of years.

The time has come really to decide what to do. (The time probably came about 4 years ago, but let's not go into that.)

This is my current car, I don't think the RS will be my daily driver again, though might be a bit of an alternative for now and again.

My choices as I see them are :-

1. Sell the car as is. I doubt it's worth a lot, having been off the road for so long, no mot or tax etc.

2. Do the barest minimum to bang an mot and 6 months tax on, then flog her. Would bring in a bit more cash, but I'm guessing not a lot.

3. Do a fair bit of work, renew what's likely to have been hurt by the long lay up, tidy up the bodywork/underneath as necessary, drive her about for a while to check for any other issues (6 months or so) then sell her.

4. Strip her and use her as a base for a track car... I desperately want to track the Elise, but the bills for any accidents are just scary, so I could use the RS to play about in. Budget maybe a grand for cage, Seats, Harnesses and Extinguisher, and I'd have a nice little track toy.

The car has 115k on the clock. She is Superchipped, and with an exhaust, and induction kit, made 190BHP on Harveys rolling road in Peterborough, before the lay up. The brakes are fairly standard, just EBC Pads and Discs. The car is lowered, but just on Monroe shocks.

I've typed enough now, here's some pics to give you an idea of condition. Honestly she's not actually pink, but radiant red, I guess a can of T-Cut is the first step

and Nessa who tried to get in every shot

What do you think? I'm having trouble deciding what to do, suggestions are welcome.
Old 18-06-2006, 05:50 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it back on the road

Mayby for 6 months or so, then see how you feel from then. Possibly build up all the parts you need for a track car conversion on it over the 6months, then do the conversion

Looks really cool on the old RS alloys too
Old 18-06-2006, 08:09 PM
JohnTee
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAR-COSWORTH

Looks really cool on the old RS alloys too
I'm told they were off a Brooklands Capri, they have a really deep dish to them and they seem to set the wheels out into the arches well.

I'm going to be getting her up in the air to have a good poke about underneath next weekend. The extent of the work under there might have some bearing on my decision.

I don't think I'd started her for a year or so before today. I pulled the king lead off and turned her over for a bit to move the oil. Plugged the king lead back on, and chigga vrooom! Started straight away and after a short tappet rattle all was well. Good start to a project I think.