General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone map there own cars??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Anyone map there own cars??

I've been reading up on this quite a lot lately and from my research it doesn't look or sound actually that hard. I'm not the most computer literate but I think I've got my head round it so my question is who else has gave it a bash and how did you get on?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

I have done most of my own stuff and tbh I'd you are not really up on it and understand exactly what your doing it's not cost effective and that amount of time it takes to its easier to get a tuner to do it
Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I know a chap who maps his own stuff, he builds a lot of obscure projects from bits of many cars but doesn't have very much money so everything is done himself with a laptop. He's a bus and coach mechanic and electrician and very very clever with electronics to the point he could earn a fortune in another field but when it comes to expensive machinery like a cosworth where someone has just spent like £10k on an engine and other bits u would only want the best guys in the business doing that
Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

I semi mapped my own saph a few years back as it was running Omex and the interface is easy to use. I was only mapping on the fuel table as the map we put on it to get it running was from my mates car so a slightly different spec and was over fueling everywhere - so before it got booked in for professional mapping i went took out loads of fuel in the table and it was running much better as a result. Funnily enough i wasnt that impressed with the mapper when he was doing it and could hear it detting its tits off so had a pop at him. Engine didnt last long after that mapping session and the car has been parked up ever since.

Need to find someone else to map it this time.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Cossie Sammins
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do 100%
Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I think mapping is very interesting and it would be cool if people could explain how to map a car.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Think self mapping is really popular in America

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

The guy in Guildford, Ben, does lessons but I will leave it to the pro's myself...especially on a turbo car.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by xr2john
I've been reading up on this quite a lot lately and from my research it doesn't look or sound actually that hard. I'm not the most computer literate but I think I've got my head round it so my question is who else has gave it a bash and how did you get on?
So cant use a computer, cant build an engine..dont know how one works, and dont know efi systems....not really off to a good start.

However....you also seem to fall into the same category as a lot of so called professional tuners.

Is it hard ? You could debate that all day long.

I'm sure a heart surgeon doesnt find what they do every day hard, although at least there is some sort of regulation so incompetent fools arent allowed to do it

And both can cause the death destruction of their patient if you get it wrong.

Problem with how easy or hard it may be....depends entirely on what is trying to be tuned and at what level. There are some fools out there that think a "map" is just a single fuel table for example. And that was from someone claiming they do it for a living.
People like that shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a paying customer, or indeed a car.

So is it hard ? it depends on dozens of variables.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There are some fools out there that think a "map" is just a single fuel table for example. And that was from someone claiming they do it for a living.
Imagine giving them a modern 2016 onwards Bosch system with 64 fuel tables, 64 Spark tables, 64 speed density tables and well over 100'000 tables and switchpoints all together. LOL

Oh ... And you cant do it live!

Aftermarket stuff however is of course far far easier. But still requires the guy on the keyboard to know what to do, and why to do it. Perhaps more importantly, he needs to know why NOT to do some seemingly beneficial stuff.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

The user interface on some modern ECU's does make it look very easy to map.

I found it relatviely easy to get on with using Omex 600 but then i was only editing one fuel table and most of that was taking fuel out as it was chucking too much in. Had some good fun doing that and would defo like to learn more
Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

It can be great fun mate. Personally I derive far more mapping pleasure from making a badly mapped car run nicely than I do giving it more power.

Its far more rewarding to get the throttle response, cruising and idling side of things nice than it is looking for horsepower.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
It can be great fun mate. Personally I derive far more mapping pleasure from making a badly mapped car run nicely than I do giving it more power.

Its far more rewarding to get the throttle response, cruising and idling side of things nice than it is looking for horsepower.
You must love your job then stu with the amount of cossies you'll get in running shite on a generic chip, mines included lol!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

i was quite enjoying mapping it to go to the other side of slough and not drink a 1/4 tank in the process
Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Attracted some attention this thread, seen Stuart MSD, James Autodynamix, Mark shead and tony turbosystems all viewing, probably laughing right enough
Old 06-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Adam-M
You must love your job then stu with the amount of cossies you'll get in running shite on a generic chip, mines included lol!
Tunings not as fun as it used to be mate.
Modern stuff is far more of a headache to perfect if you want to retain all the safety systems and torque control.

Most big names just disable them all and convert operation back to old school pre programmed boost. Understandable in many ways, but not ideal.

Since buying the Focus RS MK3 I think we have probably spent well in excess of 5000 man hours just learning "roughly" how the ECU works.

We have spent many thousands in new dataloggers and systems that will talk to it and port out the proprietary data that we need to datalog it and modify it correctly and maintain some semblance of open throttle, and then comes the time when you start comanding more torque and are just waiting for something to break... LOL

When your done.... you sell a £499 remap that is then sucked straight out of teh OBD port for every tuner to use.
They havent the foggiest idea how the calibration works, but they can now do exactly the same conversion we offer. But it cost us thousands of ££'s, thousands of hours, blood sweat and tears... of yeah, and we had to buy a brand new car too!

Cossie tuning was soooooo easy.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 06-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

It was interesting to see Mark map a car as he had a specific sized copper tube on a certain part of the engine and was listening for detonation (I think). Bit of old school to go with the lap top....no use in me listening as it would have melted the engine before I knew what I was listening for.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:08 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

home made det cans are awesome and so cheap lol but have a great benefit. No good if you are deaf tho
Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

And the by product of a car thats badly mapped to a correctly mapped car is more power often enough lol
Old 06-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
It was interesting to see Mark map a car as he had a specific sized copper tube on a certain part of the engine and was listening for detonation (I think). Bit of old school to go with the lap top....no use in me listening as it would have melted the engine before I knew what I was listening for.
I have about 1k worth of the modern electric knock sensing equipment in the draw at work if you want to buy it lol.

Mark
Old 06-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I have about 1k worth of the modern electric knock sensing equipment in the draw at work if you want to buy it lol.

Mark
Yeah, I will use it on my home made rolling road if I can just find a way to stop the toilet rolls squashing under the weight of the car.

I still would not know what to look for
Old 06-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
home made det cans are awesome and so cheap lol but have a great benefit. No good if you are deaf tho
Yeah, I am a bit deaf....might save me on the cost of sound proofing in the long run though. My hearing has the exact damage caused by Night Clubs....funny that being a child of the RAVE generation. It was fun at the time though.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
And the by product of a car thats badly mapped to a correctly mapped car is more power often enough lol
It's easy Jay, you turn the button marked boost up to Big, some times it is a slider....I don't think there is much more too it other than wind up other tuners.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Tbh your not far off lol on some software it is just moving torque limits ect lol
Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Wow this thread has fairly opened a can of worms for sure. I've never claimed I would be any good but it's just something I would really like to try and learn. Not for any commercial gain but more for the satisfaction of doing it all myself.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

It is certain;y a skill I would like to have but I would personally prefer to learn to tog weld and use a lathe.....and bed Jennifer Anniston or Helen Skelton
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wow this thread has fairly opened a can of worms for sure. I've never claimed I would be any good but it's just something I would really like to try and learn. Not for any commercial gain but more for the satisfaction of doing it all myself.
Fair play for asking mate. I remember a guy who had a homemade Zetec turbo mk2 xr2, he built it himself and fitted aftermarket management and mapped it himself, he used to bring it to our
Local meet and nothing even the stupid power skylines could keep up with it. Just a clever lad
Old 06-12-2016, 06:32 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by R4N SS
Even if you can hear, if you dont know what you're listening for....they're still pointless.

Again, it all comes down to experience and ability.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We had a fairly expensive listening kit at a dealers I used to work at. They were rather bemused when I pulled out a long reach screwdriver and stuck my ear to it. One of the other guys took 20 mins to set all this gear up and took me 20 seconds to get the old screwdriver out. Can't beat experience with things
Old 06-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by gcfcos
We had a fairly expensive listening kit at a dealers I used to work at. They were rather bemused when I pulled out a long reach screwdriver and stuck my ear to it. One of the other guys took 20 mins to set all this gear up and took me 20 seconds to get the old screwdriver out. Can't beat experience with things
I'm like that with women, some guys make love for hours, I am so skilled they hardly knew I was there.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
I'm like that with women, some guys make love for hours, I am so skilled they hardly knew I was there.
Ah hah hah hah awesome.

Pull my nighty back down when you've finished

Lol
Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

There are some courses at uni's and colleges in engine mapping and tuning now, no idea how good they are but could be worth looking into if you want to learn?
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Fair play for asking mate. I remember a guy who had a homemade Zetec turbo mk2 xr2, he built it himself and fitted aftermarket management and mapped it himself, he used to bring it to our
Local meet and nothing even the stupid power skylines could keep up with it. Just a clever lad
That's the thing,some people pick it up really quickly. I'm 1 of those people! I've taught myself plenty of different skills over the years,not just to do with cars but with property too. Turned myself into a plasterer after watching a few videos on you tube,I can tile,wall paper and paint.and pretty much everything else and then my neighbor gave me a 5 minute crash course on welding and that was a new skill which I took to like a duck to water. I'm just one of those practical people who seems to be good with his hands. I just want to learn as much as I can in this short life we have
Old 06-12-2016, 09:14 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's the thing,some people pick it up really quickly. I'm 1 of those people! I've taught myself plenty of different skills over the years,not just to do with cars but with property too. Turned myself into a plasterer after watching a few videos on you tube,I can tile,wall paper and paint.and pretty much everything else and then my neighbor gave me a 5 minute crash course on welding and that was a new skill which I took to like a duck to water. I'm just one of those practical people who seems to be good with his hands. I just want to learn as much as I can in this short life we have
Is there anything online that u can study mate? Is it for a project u have in mind?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Even if you can hear, if you dont know what you're listening for....they're still pointless.

Again, it all comes down to experience and ability.
Agreed mate but i had a mate sitting with me who is experienced and also had the wideband afr gauge.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Guinnless
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tunings not as fun as it used to be mate.
When your done.... you sell a £499 remap that is then sucked straight out of teh OBD port for every tuner to use.
They havent the foggiest idea how the calibration works, but they can now do exactly the same conversion we offer. But it cost us thousands of ££'s, thousands of hours, blood sweat and tears... of yeah, and we had to buy a brand new car too!
:
Bloody hell! Obviously there's no way to prevent this otherwise you would have done so.
I presume you'd know it's your map from the checksum ? Difficult to proceed with a copyright claim ?

Araldite in the OBD port would sort it
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Doubt the tuners can do much as back in the day who copied all the ford chips - it was the tuners
Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Is there anything online that u can study mate? Is it for a project u have in mind?
https://www.efi101.com/
You have this. I can't say how good it is but can teach you the basics.

Mark
Old 07-12-2016, 05:41 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
You have had a secs chip too then Jay😂
Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

I have always been very interested in mapping but tbh cannot get my head around it.
I just stick with setting them up correctly and leave the mapping to the pros.