General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

sapphire head lining

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Indentations???

I just give the sunroof blind a good clean.
Wrong quote and pic, bloody iPhone

Is the material thick or is it paper thin?
Old 30-08-2015, 01:08 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
I paid a fair bit of money to buy a mint set of door cards about 5 years ago and there going bad now! I'm toying with the idea of buying them pre mad leather covers from eBay and getting the trimmer who did my head lining to fit them.
I purchased an ok passenger side door card which is better than the one I had but can I find a drivers side..?! I keep looking at the leather ones on eBay but I'm not sure I like the look of them and I can't see them fitting in with my cloth interior. Would probably just get the trimmer to match in with vinyl that looks as similar to standard - well that's what I want to do.

I retrimmed one door card. The vinyl was a bit different. It was a right chew on. I paid good money for a set of door cards that have speaker pods in them. They looked well when i bought them but now they look tatty.

The hardest part is getting the vinyl to stretch round the door arm rest.

Ive thought about doing another but try and do it in pieces.
I think doing it in one go is the way to go as you don't really want joins in it. I'm thinking we need some really stretchy vinyl that can be heated up.

Maybe I'll send a sample to that AS trim place and see if they have anything that looks identical and stretches a lot.
Old 30-08-2015, 01:35 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I think I'll try these on mine and get them fitted by a professional. Buying good genuine ones is a waste of time as they end like the ones your replacing. I'm not that keen on the seams but there leather and seams are better than horrible shrinking

Name:  image_zps8g4pgwhj.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  95.3 KB

Last edited by ajamesc; 30-08-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 30-08-2015, 05:41 PM
JasonPD

Well I'll be interested to see if you're pleased with them once the arrive and you get them fitted, I'm not currently convinced I like them but I'm open to have my opinion changed.

I have emailed AS Trim to see if they have a match for the cosworth interior (on the off chance they have done one recently) or if they want me to send them a sample.
Old 30-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Jason its a fookin nightmare to do the door cards. You cant get the vinyl to stretch around the handles without getting any crease.
Old 30-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ive seen some flocked door cards. They looked ok.
Old 30-08-2015, 05:44 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by JasonPD
Well I'll be interested to see if you're pleased with them once the arrive and you get them fitted, I'm not currently convinced I like them but I'm open to have my opinion changed.

I have emailed AS Trim to see if they have a match for the cosworth interior (on the off chance they have done one recently) or if they want me to send them a sample.
im not that convinced iver lol but there look a hell of a lot better than ones covered in shrunken plastic. I enquired a while ago about having them covered in leather and was told then because of the shape it would only be possible with seams
Old 30-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I even bought some extra stretchy vinyl and it was still difficult to stretch round the arm rest.
Old 30-08-2015, 05:50 PM
JasonPD

Jason its a fookin nightmare to do the door cards. You cant get the vinyl to stretch around the handles without getting any crease.
If I get the correct material I'll be getting s professional to do them for me.

Ive seen some flocked door cards. They looked ok.
Flocked is a nightmare to clean/look after, plus my car is standard and wanting to maintain the original look

im not that convinced iver lol but there look a hell of a lot better than ones covered in shrunken plastic. I enquired a while ago about having them covered in leather and was told then because of the shape it would only be possible with seams
I guess there must be a reason why they have the seams but there must be some vinyl type material that will stretch if the right person with the right skill does it, well there's me hoping!
Old 30-08-2015, 05:56 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

My opinion is if you have to stretch it into place and glue it it will eventually return to its un stretched form.
Old 30-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I was even thinking about getting the later doorcards like the saff rainbow trim door cards and retrim them with leather cause they would be easier to do cause the door handles screw on them and would be miles easier to do.
Old 31-08-2015, 09:23 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonPD

The trimmer that Gary who sells Cosworth parts uses did say he was going to see if he could do the door card re-trimming . Give Gary a call and see if he did manage to do it. He is a very good trimmer.
Old 31-08-2015, 08:58 PM
JasonPD

Originally Posted by cossynut2
The trimmer that Gary who sells Cosworth parts uses did say he was going to see if he could do the door card re-trimming . Give Gary a call and see if he did manage to do it. He is a very good trimmer.
Ok, that sounds interesting. I'd imagine they could sell a few dozen sets and perhaps even do them as an exchange as it sounds like a lot of folk have fooked door cards.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Black suede fook me that's a bit posh
I think its suede - been a few years since ive seen it now - prob green now

Was done before i bought the car back so one less job for me to do - although i still need to get the front doorcards trimmed to match the rears and roof lining - currently have been treated to halfords best satin black
Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Mark Tomlinson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you do with your sun roof blind ,when rest of roof lining is black? cheers

Did mine in black looks loads better

Old 01-09-2015, 04:52 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Mine is still white (if you can call it that, well its fucking well dirty) - gonna paint it satin black when i can be arsed to take the whole sunroof out.

Or better still, just but the blind and paint it and then when i remove the roof i can refit it straight away

I painted the front door cards on mine and they came out quite well as they were early 2wd cloth ones which had been in my mates workshop for years so had loads of oil and filth over them. Bonus was they were free too