General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buyers are loony !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Buyers are loony !!

Selling my car at the moment and have had the usual stream of people offering thousands less than advertised but also had people call and ask questions regards spec/history etc

The thing is, as I answer yep got that, got that and got that, they are sighing as if they are now gutted as the car is better than they hoped and so can't then offer a low price using what it hasn't got as a bargain tool

Do these people just spend there life dreaming? Why not just call up the ones that they can afford.

Had others saying 'yeah I seen one up for sale for weeks then when I called it was sold and I missed it' - it was up for sale for weeks? why didn't you call when you first saw it

I see a car that is the spec I want, I call, visit and buy the thing before someone else does.

They joys of selling I guess but never fails to amuse me how many dreamers are out there.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Messers and dreamers matey. The world is full of them.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by matts1
Selling my car at the moment and have had the usual stream of people offering thousands less than advertised but also had people call and ask questions regards spec/history etc

The thing is, as I answer yep got that, got that and got that, they are sighing as if they are now gutted as the car is better than they hoped and so can't then offer a low price using what it hasn't got as a bargain tool

Do these people just spend there life dreaming? Why not just call up the ones that they can afford.

Had others saying 'yeah I seen one up for sale for weeks then when I called it was sold and I missed it' - it was up for sale for weeks? why didn't you call when you first saw it

I see a car that is the spec I want, I call, visit and buy the thing before someone else does.

They joys of selling I guess but never fails to amuse me how many dreamers are out there.

Not really dreamers just don't want to pay your price. Not much of a cost to them to try it on they don't know how desperate you are. They are not interested in paying going rate whats the point of that loads of them around. When I bought mine stood there waving the cash after offering what I was prepared tO pay it was a lot less than the asking price. He said no, I walked away & then guess what 'OK mate you win'. In the perfect world you ask a price, they say yes & everyone lives happily ever after. That's not life so don't take it to heart.
The following users liked this post:
CossieRich (03-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

In a similar situation myself, got my car on autotrader at the mo, last day tomorrow.
One guy calls me up the other week and offers me £1600, it was on for £2695...
When i said no he got all arsey saying there are loads cheaper with lower miles on there.
Now its quite a rare car, and its the cheapest on autotrader, and a diesel. He was comparing it to petrol ones etc.
In the end i got quite pissed off with him and his next offer was £2200 but i told him to come and have a look and we would go from there.
I was at a mountain bike even so quite busy and told him to call later/next day and i havnt heard from him since.

Then last week i had a call after dropping the price again to £2545, arranged to come on sunday to look and luckily i didnt change any plans as again, not heard from him...

Someone recommended i put it on gumtree, done that this morning. Within an hour had a scam message to email them, then had some indian chap i could not understand at all call me about an accident i have had in the last 3 years, which i said i hadnt, then says what about any family members... He got told to fuck off and i hung up, then a little while later another scam message saying my account has been locked, click the link to continue...

Its going to get traded in for a massive loss at this rate
Old 02-07-2015, 07:28 PM
3drRich
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

I was in the car trade about 7 years ago when it started to get painful to sell cars and on Thursday I had a couple,of guys turn up to look at a car I'm selling as a project, first car in years and fuck me it was painful. After tearing it to bits, bidding me in the bollocks and taking about 1 hour of my life we made a deal then when he was about to load it on his truck he starting picking holes in it again then offered me less again to which I replied put the fucking car back and fuck off. Which he did after saying sorry ok ok I will have it and I said to late then went back to work. So Saturday I stripped it, cut it up and weighed it in. Fucking proper messers.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
In a similar situation myself, got my car on autotrader at the mo, last day tomorrow.
One guy calls me up the other week and offers me £1600, it was on for £2695...
When i said no he got all arsey saying there are loads cheaper with lower miles on there.
Now its quite a rare car, and its the cheapest on autotrader, and a diesel. He was comparing it to petrol ones etc.
In the end i got quite pissed off with him and his next offer was £2200 but i told him to come and have a look and we would go from there.
I was at a mountain bike even so quite busy and told him to call later/next day and i havnt heard from him since.

Then last week i had a call after dropping the price again to £2545, arranged to come on sunday to look and luckily i didnt change any plans as again, not heard from him...

Someone recommended i put it on gumtree, done that this morning. Within an hour had a scam message to email them, then had some indian chap i could not understand at all call me about an accident i have had in the last 3 years, which i said i hadnt, then says what about any family members... He got told to fuck off and i hung up, then a little while later another scam message saying my account has been locked, click the link to continue...

Its going to get traded in for a massive loss at this rate
It seems to be normal now when trying to sell a car, recently helped my Daughter sell her Toyota MRS and it was a nightmare. Nearly got sucked into a new scam by a company trading like " We Buy Any Car.com ", another one offering more than the asking price saying it was for his Wifes secret birthday present but he was out of the country so someone else would come and pick it up, all bollocks of course and tossers offering to buy it for less than half the asking price without even viewing it!!!!
We were lucky in the end got a genuine buyer off e-bay who bid the right amount and came with the cash and drove it away.
All of the usual places that you can sell your car through have now got information on the latest scams that they have found.
The days of proper, honest, car buying and selling seem to have gone!!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

I was reluctant to use ebay, but might give it a go. or just trade it in, take a lot less and have no hassle lol.

i thought they were quite sort after so would have no problems shifting it... how wrong i was!

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Im selling my type R and I got offered £750 less than asking price. I usually ask why do you need that much off and they go quiet or dont text back.

Oh and I HATE people texting about a car then haggling the price over text. FFS pick up the phone and come and see the thing then make an offer!
Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Boot sale mentality I call it. People who spend valuable time and effort to try and get a 'bargain'. In the end costs them more and, as we all know, getter a good car at a fair price is cheaper and easier than one that's cheaper but needs repairs, parts, paperwork, yahdha yahdha.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If your first offer isn't embarrassing you haven't gone low enough
natehall (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Thing is tho, when matey offered me £1600 i was actually quite offended and no longer wanted to speak to him. he soon went to £2200 but by that point he could fuck off. kept talking shit about petrol versions being much cheaper...
Paul_RS (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was reluctant to use ebay, but might give it a go. or just trade it in, take a lot less and have no hassle lol.

i thought they were quite sort after so would have no problems shifting it... how wrong i was!
We set a reserve amount and the buyer went over it so we were happy in the end.Give it a go.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:46 AM
lacey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

My mate was selling him 911
Two guys from London came up ( they dealed with 911 so they said )
His price was fair , they took the piss , he told them to do one and went in side
Then the buyer knocked on the door still taking the piss
My mate once again shut the door
The buyer then knocked again going I will be seeing you
So my mate said come on then wants wrong with now .
The buyer shit his pants
And paid my mate full price
Why do they both
You either want it or you don't
Old 03-07-2015, 10:06 AM
3i Jim

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I just write my cars off, it's a lot less hassle. Lol
The following 4 users liked this post by 3i Jim:
natehall (03-07-2015), Paul_RS (03-07-2015), salsheikh (03-07-2015), visa_broke (04-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Hate selling cars, all you meet is cunts offering you pennies. As others have said, it offends me.

What seems strange is when I buy a car I arrange to see it, turn up, offer a fair price and I'm true to my word. Why can't I sell a car to someone like me!

I actually paid the full asking price for my last car as it was worth that all day long. I.e. It was a bit cheap! But wasn't going to take the piss and offer him another £500 less.

Last edited by XRT_si; 03-07-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thing is tho, when matey offered me £1600 i was actually quite offended and no longer wanted to speak to him. he soon went to £2200 but by that point he could fuck off. kept talking shit about petrol versions being much cheaper...
If your first offer doesnt make them laugh at you, you havent gone low enough

You can always go up, but not down when buying

im a weird one, Paid asking price 3-4 times for cars, but then those were reasonable condition cars for the price asked or had some value added that suited me nicely, one guy said if i paid asking upon viewing it was as described and drop him back off at the local train station, he would drive the car to me the next day, one was advertised as scrap value and I bought sight unseen and got a courier to pick it up, still driving that today its in bloody good nick... And there was my first car, still got it to this day but i got a free mot negotiated in for a £295 car

It all depends what your buying.

Then ive hardballed some car purchases
Paul_RS (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Too many peeps watching wheeler dealers

I'm currently looking to buy a car and if it's out of my price range I don't even bother calling

If it is I've got a set number of questions

So far it's been a month and the right car hasn't come along, but then again, I did get spoilt when I bought the 6th last car to go through the auction at a 3rd of the money I was willing to pay so no great loss
Paul_RS (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Buyers are loony !!

I was buying and selling cars on the side for a bit of extra £ when baby came along. 6 months later I jacked it in as I couldn't put up with the time wasters anymore. I think u gotta be a certain type of person to sell used cars. We used to waste whole evenings and weekends on people :/(
Old 03-07-2015, 01:06 PM
salsheikh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

when i was selling a car previously, i had a few lads turn up to look at it andthey offered less than what i wanted. at this point i was desperate to sell it as i already had another car and agreed on a price. for some reaso the buyer pulled out and the next day it sold for full asking price!
sometimes buyers get desperate to sell and will take a lower offer as the pressure is on them to sell the car. the buyer is gonna be a chancer who has nothing to lose if a low offer doesnt get accepted.

if someone offers me a price for my car without looking at it then i turn them away as more than likely they are timewasters. if they sy there are cheaper cars with lower mileage then i say well what are asking about mine for then, go buy the cheaper car!

selling cars isnt fun anymore.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:27 PM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by salsheikh
if someone offers me a price for my car without looking at it then i turn them away as more than likely they are timewasters. if they sy there are cheaper cars with lower mileage then i say well what are asking about mine for then, go buy the cheaper car!
Last guy that tried that on me, locked the car up and walked back into the house...

he knocked on asking me my lowest price, gave him the asking price, wouldnt even take a penny less from him and shut the door.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

When I was selling my Evo 7 (was a proper ball ache!) I had one guy offer me £5000 over text. The car was up for £6500, which was cheap. I told him I couldn't go that low and he told me that was the most he could possibly offer for the car.

I sold the car for over £6000 and the first guy text me a few days later asking if it was still for sale.

I said no, I had taken a deposit and it was considered sold. He asked how much and I told him £5100. He then proceeded to tell me he would have paid that and more, that he could offer me more and come down that night etc...

I told him I was a man of my word, he should have done the same and that if he could have offered more in the first place then he should have! He was quite pissed off
Old 03-07-2015, 03:16 PM
pjv7771

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't even be arsed trying to sell my Beemer the other month, went to that money 4 your motors place, I only got bottom book but I least I didn't get fucked around
Old 03-07-2015, 03:38 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRT_si
When I was selling my Evo 7 (was a proper ball ache!) I had one guy offer me £5000 over text. The car was up for £6500, which was cheap. I told him I couldn't go that low and he told me that was the most he could possibly offer for the car.

I sold the car for over £6000 and the first guy text me a few days later asking if it was still for sale.

I said no, I had taken a deposit and it was considered sold. He asked how much and I told him £5100. He then proceeded to tell me he would have paid that and more, that he could offer me more and come down that night etc...

I told him I was a man of my word, he should have done the same and that if he could have offered more in the first place then he should have! He was quite pissed off
It can also be a pain in the arse when trying to buy a car. After the nightmare trying to sell my Daughters car we were then looking to buy something else.
There was a lovely looking bright red Fiesta advertised on Gumtree, low miles , not many owners and a full service history so the advert said.I spoke to the lady owner and asked her did it have any rust or bodywork issues." Oh no, none at all its immaculate " she said. So I am thinking this sounds like a good car and arrange to drive quite a long way to view it.
When I get there I am gob-smacked, the way she had taken the photos the drivers side looked fine but when I looked at the passenger side it had been badly damaged and boged up with filler ,different colour completely paint and loads of deep scratches!! When she unlocked it the first thing I saw was a rust hole about the size of an orange in the cill. I was pissed off big time!!
I said to her" You told me it was immaculate with no rust or body work issues, this needs loads of work and it aint for me! After driving for nearly 2 hours to see it I was gone again in less than 5 minutes!
Why do some people think that you came down with the last shower of rain?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

do you immediately pay the full asking price when your buying? sellers always think their cars the best in the world and buyers always want everything for nothing.thats life!

Last edited by fuzzy; 03-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:04 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

had the same recently selling the 5 series, up for £6250 get 3 offers of 4k. that's why I'm going the contract hire route just hand it back and move on lol
Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Vicar
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the fun and games when selling my E46 M3 over the last few weeks . . . people travelled down from London and beyond (i'm in Cornwall) and only had 6.5k in hand when my asking price was close to £8000!

in years gone by I may have accepted it but i've become hardened to it all now! the look on peoples faces when they got turned around was pretty funny!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:27 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Vicar
I had the fun and games when selling my E46 M3 over the last few weeks . . . people travelled down from London and beyond (i'm in Cornwall) and only had 6.5k in hand when my asking price was close to £8000!

in years gone by I may have accepted it but i've become hardened to it all now! the look on peoples faces when they got turned around was pretty funny!
I tend to come clean and say what im willing to pay first when buying. if they can work with that then ill arrange a visit and if its as described I wont waste anymore time trying to haggle it down further.if they cant work within what im willing to pay then I move on . I certainly wouldn't waste time travelling any distance without that general agreement first.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't be arsed with the hassle. Used the ST as trade against the mondeo, Then sold the mondeo to a mate off of here who's a mechanic, he's worked on the mondeo plenty and knew the car so sold him it cheap as chips as he's helped me out loads.

Couldn't be arsed with "It has this wrong With it etc" etc as I've very little patience.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM
JasonPD

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Have text message offers ever worked out..? I usually treat them with the contempt they deserve, someone viewing the car and making an offer face to face is a completely different thing.

Personally I always try to get a bit off. Likewise, I always stick a little bit more on then I actually want so I have wriggle room, doesn't everybody?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonPD

Personally I always try to get a bit off. Likewise, I always stick a little bit more on then I actually want so I have wriggle room, doesn't everybody?
I thought that was the norm.

Never pay asking price is what I always hear people saying.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Bailes1992

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had it with my Missus C3.
Popped it on auto trader for £950. 2006 model with 113k on the clock.
Brand new timing belt, full service history, tidy bodywork, new clutch 18 months ago, new shocks and springs all round, new wheel bearings and new front lower arms.
Was getting people phoning up offering £400-£500 constantly. Ended up keeping it and something blew up yesterday and put a hole in the bell housing. FUCKER.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:21 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been in or around the trade for years on and off. I used to do some selling but people could really rub me up the wrong way. For example you'd have a car for sale, priced below average, let's say £3k. You'd get messages saying "I'll give you £1500 CASH" always in capitals.

I used to write back saying.. Oooh, CASH wow.. Normally I only take magic beans.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Why would you ever offer full price on a second hand car? And to get offended seems odd to me, you are allowed to decline. I would always rather an offer than nothing......that said I often price to sell.

I recently sold a car to a forum member, I hope that I offered a lot of car for a reasonable price. He offered less but within reason and we came to a sensible agreement that we were both happy with. Both of us could have pushed either way but we didn't. It was a hassle free pleasure and I would rather that than £500 or £1000 more but an uncomfortable sale.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

A lad wanted my old Momo arrow alloys. Im still waiting for him to turn up with the cash. I even took them to a car show so he could meet me there lol.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

when i was selling my 3 door i had it up for £14,000 on ebay which yes was opyimistic but allowed room for hagglers lol, got one guy txting offering a 2007 astra van and a bare series 1 turbo shell as straight swap, erm noooo thanks. and another chap asked if i would ship it to canada, and if upon arrival it was to his liking he would wire me the money straight away!!! dream on mate

had another car for sale years ago on ebay cant remember what now but the guy messaged me asking if i would take £2000 under asking price, i messaged back saying yes no problem but can you give me a day or so as i need to fill the fuel tank, get it serviced and have a full valet done on it for him........he messaged back asking for adress and time/date he could pick it up lol!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 AM
lerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went to see my 3 door it was 3 hrs drive away I phoned on the fri and told the seller I would leave work at 12 and be down to them at 3 pm and that I was v interested a man of my word and I would turn up and that at 130 I would call again as I would be half way there
Any way the seller went to an auto jumble
Old 04-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Why would you ever offer full price on a second hand car? And to get offended seems odd to me, you are allowed to decline. I would always rather an offer than nothing......that said I often price to sell.

I recently sold a car to a forum member, I hope that I offered a lot of car for a reasonable price. He offered less but within reason and we came to a sensible agreement that we were both happy with. Both of us could have pushed either way but we didn't. It was a hassle free pleasure and I would rather that than £500 or £1000 more but an uncomfortable sale.
Of course i would expect to be knocked down a bit, i have a price in mind of what i would take so to be offered over a grand less on a car up for £2695 would you not think that was taking the piss?
If he had come in at £2k i wouldnt have been as pissed off but its still a lot less than i want.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

the problem i often find is that sellers well over value what they have for no obvious reason .
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

When I was selling my focus rs this year I had it up for £8.5k.
The car had 55k on it full service history , had a total respray very very tidy car as I don't use terms like mint or immaculate but very close.
Anyway there were cars advertised with 80k miles on for more money and with rust on them.
Had no end of bellends offer 7k and I just ignored them and they kept emailing but I didn't respond.
Anyway a chap came up from Newcastle that had looked a 5 cars before mine and were priced higher.
I was totally honest about the cat and when he arrived he couldn't believe how clean and tidy it was. Paid my full asking price and said he was giving up if mines had been rubbish.
There is a genuine buyer for every car you just have to sort through all the time wasters.
If I buy a car I set s budget and look but I certainly wouldn't offer 2k less than the asking price as that's just non sense.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i have paid full price many times, but after seeing many sheds that aren't worth what they've been asking.
most cars have been very cheap though, only the last couple have raised the bar for me.
do research and if you've marketed too high based on dealers prices then rethink it, to those that offer bugger all, say, "i'm good ta!"

Quick Reply: Buyers are loony !!