General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buyers are loony !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wife got a new car few months back, saw endless sheds, dirty, scratched paintwork kerbed alloys, all asking strong money, tbh we offered em a lot less and were more than justified with doing so, eventually we paid full price for an 04 plate that was very very clean, everything was pretty near perfect, even had 41k on the clock. sometimes people dream that their car is worth the price of one that is near on perfect, if it is people will pay the price.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You've got to price your cars right and expect to be haggled a little.
The last car i sold the guy gave me full asking price and he had come quite a distance for it. Once he handed me the money i gave him £40 back to stick some fuel in it to get home - he was well chuffed
Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

So how do you price your cars right?

Looking on autotrader there were only 4 other cars of the same model, mine was on for £2600 and there were 2 others from dealers for a grand or more, granted they had a bit less miles tho.

Now there is one on for £1500 but has 201k miles... And doesnt look as nice.

My ad has expired now anyway
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
So how do you price your cars right?

Looking on autotrader there were only 4 other cars of the same model, mine was on for £2600 and there were 2 others from dealers for a grand or more, granted they had a bit less miles tho.

Now there is one on for £1500 but has 201k miles... And doesnt look as nice.

My ad has expired now anyway
just talking in general, yours sounded as if it was priced right. There is plenty of people out there will offer you silly money in the hope you are desperate for a quick sale.

have you tried some of the facebook pages Dan? if you dont do facebook, PM me some details and i'll put it on there for you
Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i am on face book matt, so please send over some links etc!

cheers mate
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

best one for cars only is "cars for sale or swap in swindon", its got a blue banner at the top of the page
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Cool, thanks Matt ill take a look tonight.

do you get much aggro on there from idiots lol?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
Cool, thanks Matt ill take a look tonight.

do you get much aggro on there from idiots lol?
oh yeah, you'll get the same idiots just a different format!
just got to sort through the crap to find a genuine buyer!!
it just dont cost you anything to advertise
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 AM
t230
PassionFord Regular

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you like..you see, you buy .....simple...im actually so traumautised after last attempt to sell im scared to readvertise..seriouslly defo not gumtree , only ford mags forums and well surprisingly last two cars i sold went quickly before auction end on ebay AND i got asking price...
Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I can agree that many overprice their car when selling and I myself throw in a low offer when buying, but offering thousands below the price when it is about right to me just makes the person look like a joker not worth dealing with. Most of the time when they give it the 'CASH today mate' via text, if you said yes, they would more than likely fold anyway and make some excuse

The thing that gets me is the ones that dont offer, but instead look for negatives so they can drive the price down and then sounds gutted there are no negatives..either make an offer or go look at one that is not as nice, not sit on the phone sighing that its a nice car

I was selling a CTR a few years back, guy calls and offers a grand less (on a 4k car), he says not worth it, there is one by him for sale for £3k, I say why not buy it then, he says 'nah mate, f*cking cat D and been badly repaired'

Same car, guy comes, test drives, says virtually nothing, thanks me and leaves, a week later I sell the car, guy calls and asks if it has been sold, I say yes, he gets moody and says he wanted it and why didn't i tell him I was going to sell it, mental!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Buyers are loony !!

I've had to refuse to sell a car to a couple of people as I knew there would be trouble. Sold a couple of £300 cars and then get silly txts like the cigarette lighter doesn't work for my sat nav can u refund me some money. There all fookin chancers half of them. I used to hate all the offers by txt, I just used to say view the car and then make me an offer. Before eBay and txting there was nothing like this, you'd put an advert in the paper and a human being would actually ring u to make an appointment to look at the actual car
Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

sold an old b3/4 (can't remember now) volkswagon tdi saloon on ebay, sell within minutes, guy comes with a transporter and picks it up, pays and takes it away (we find out to poland) next thing we get the emails, its just a diesel apparently and not a proper tdi (it was) asking for money back. They never got anything
Old 07-07-2015, 09:53 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Buyers are loony !!

Originally Posted by visa_broke
sold an old b3/4 (can't remember now) volkswagon tdi saloon on ebay, sell within minutes, guy comes with a transporter and picks it up, pays and takes it away (we find out to poland) next thing we get the emails, its just a diesel apparently and not a proper tdi (it was) asking for money back. They never got anything
Fookin chancers and foreign ones at that. I used to stupidly put my email address in adverts then I kept getting crank emails saying they want the car but there working away and will arrange collection, I started winding them up by sounding like I was interested and they asked for my PayPal details and back details and PayPal log in. I said yeah sure so sent back this

PayPal user id; 1loveitinthebum1986
Email; slipme-alength@reammeout.com
PayPal password; imnotthatstupiducunt
Bank details ; the bank of mystery
Sort code: 999
Account number 999
Tel;999 extension fraud squad

Last edited by gcfcos; 07-07-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was selling my mrs old Audi A3 about 6 months ago

Book price was 3600 to 3295 so put it up for that

After a load of bollocks offered for 2k wen ended up letting it go at 2400, painful when it booked at over 3k

But it's a buyers market for some cars and book prices mean f all
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i guess it is mate, it will only sell for what someone will pay.

i thought mine would fly out the door tbh, its quite a rare TDI sport quattro, very few about for sale. when i bought it, the guy took 2 phonecalls while i was looking at it and one guy offered full price and a £500 deposit there and then. but i was there and handed over the cash lol
Old 11-07-2015, 08:21 PM
RB26DETT
Regular Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought a Fiesta for 1100.... It was up for 2k.

I can make insulting offers when buying a car (Only on common cars though) I suss them out on the phone by asking if there's much movement on the price and judging by the response I know roughly where I stand.
(I don't text offering CASH now INNIT)

Many many more examples out there, And there's always a seller out there needing cash!
Why spend any more than I need to?

Saying that, My Cosworth was up for 5,700 I gave 5,400.... And honestly would have paid asking if I had to.

When selling, I put up a price and allow a few hundred haggle room. It's like a game to see can I get the figure I want. (Advertise at maybe 2,300 with an aim to get 1,900)
Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 PM
The Enigma
Regular Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I have paid full price for any of my cars except my 2 current ones. My mondeo daily was priced well considering it is in pretty decent nick so didn't bother haggling. My Saph was priced a bit low considering the current market and the overall condition and history of the car, I didn't want to lose the car as I'm sure if the seller offered it to anyone else they would have snapped his hand off!

Ebay is a but hit or miss for me. Had a few cars on there and you get emails and texts offering so much less than what it is advertised. Saying that I sold my van on there last year and after not much interest I dropped the priced and a guy rang me saying he will come down the next morning at 5am (it was about 600 mile round trip) and he was true to his word. Couldn't believe it, there was nothing wrong with the van but he didn't have a test drive or even look round the van as it was dark.

Last edited by The Enigma; 11-07-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Russ Payne
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I once sold some rs turbos parts to a lad on here.. Agreed to meet him at fleet services as I was on my way home from snow boarding at Hemel hempstead.

Waited for an hour for the idiot to turn up! Like I didn't have anything else better to do! Selling stuff is a pain in the arse'
Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Trouble with people who call up and only talk about 'lowest figure' is that 9/10 they are not going to complete anyway and are also the sort that on arrival, believe the agreed low asking price is the new asking price to be haggled on.