General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Msd wasted spark

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xr_craig
Paul you are clearly jumping to conclusions without facts though mate. You confirmed it in your own head because someones ecu was tested in James's car. James isn't a customer so why are you worried about ecu's being tested in customers cars?

Craig

I have not jumped to any conclusions at all

I simply asked a question based on a reply given by brammer ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I keep reading about W/S ECU's tested???? I may be wrong but since when did MSD start servicing and testing ECU's - i was under the impression that James tests the ECU on a like for like car not the actual ECU as i had mine checked in the early days, i had the driver fitted in 2009 and had to wait for a L8 W/S car just to plug in and see if it would operate but mine turned out to be the baby board ribbon had failed.

So if James has said it operated fine then you need to start looking elsewhere on the car ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So i asked if this is how they test ECUs ,

I even said i doubted that was there only way of testing and ECU , and then was told by another user that his ECU was tested buy plugging it into another car

so i quess we need to wait until MSD tell us if this is the only way

Last edited by Mr RS500; 22-04-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 22-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

porterste, theres a difference between no warranty as youre on a rally car (pretty normal for ALL racing applications not to warranty product), however I certainly expect they would have happily offered technical advice and support to help you resolve the issue had you bothered to ask.

You will find a lot of people defend them because there are a LOT of happy customers.
Old 22-04-2014, 03:51 PM
timster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
can you smell it too :cry
Fucking lol!
Old 22-04-2014, 04:10 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Call them and ask is probably the best course of action, speculating on an internet forum never helps anyone.
When you sent the ECU to MSD what was thier feedback, it was ok, it must be another faukt elsewhere, etc?

Personallty I stay away from wasted spark, call me a dinosaur but I see far more threads about the problems it seems to have Vs. the problems it solves, I'm not slating it, but I'd only consider it IF i had an issue in the first place.

I have noticed there are some 'experts' on this thread so maybe they can suggest who is a reputable company to do a full diagnosis on an Weber ECU.

Last edited by rog; 22-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 22-04-2014, 04:13 PM
timster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
Call them and ask is probably the best course of action, speculating on an internet forum never helps anyone. I have noticed there are some 'experts' on this thread so maybe they can suggest who is a reputable company to do a full diagnosis on an Weber ECU.
Have you noticed though the experts have never had any dealings with msd? It's comical yet if their own business was portrayed like this they'd soon be shouting the odds
Old 22-04-2014, 04:17 PM
gray_rs
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rev counters not right but I am not having a dig at them at all because I have t called them yet, to find out how to fix it, I have a few wee bits still to do to my car then I'll call them, and no doubt they will tell me how to fix it
Old 22-04-2014, 04:21 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by timster
Have you noticed though the experts have never had any dealings with msd? It's comical yet if their own business was portrayed like this they'd soon be shouting the odds
Can't fairly say if they've dealt with MSD or not tbh, but all my dealings with Stu and co have been very positve indeed and I highly rate them for the record.

The thread starter is looking for options, but doesn't seem to have got very far on what else to do, I would've though Paul would know who could 'test' ECU's though, bit i haven't seen that in any of his replies.

Simplest resolution is to call them direct, or things on here get out of hand and don't solve anything.
Old 22-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by timster
Funny how you are looking into it as tho MSD are getting a slagging , i dont see anywhere this has been the case

2 people have quoted them as using customer or there own cars to test ECUs for faults , and simply said if this was the case i wouldnt be happy if it was my car being used as a test bed

I also said i doubt that this was the case , so i quess we should wait until MSD tell us either way

And altho never used MSD myself , i have bought many many cars that have been modded / tuned by them , and also had cars in for repairs / services that they have done work on

And yes i do know who can test ECUs , i have used 2 people for this service , but never used MSD simply because i have 2 others i use , not that i wouldnt use MSD ( if they do test them other than putting them into other customers cars )

Last edited by Mr RS500; 22-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.