Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Brake pedal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 AM
csteven
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal to the floor

Ok,

So after not driving my 3DR for maybe 2 weeks I jumped in and started it and the brake pedal goes to the floor. Since I've owned it (~2 years) I haven't done any brake work so I'm thinking since there is no fluid leaking anywhere that's visible that the Master Cylinder seals must have gone?

I'll attempt a bleed I suppose but I'm not very hopeful it will achieve much. If it doesn't does anyone have any pointers on getting the Master Cylinder out? Or have any other ideas on what could be wrong, the ABS pump fires up on Accessory and reaches pressure fine, it's just you pump on the pedal and there's no brakes.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
cossiedad
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I'm fairly sure yrs will be very similar to my 2wd saph and I had to replace my ABS pressure sensor below the master cylinder for the MOT. I switched the complete unit over - and it was fairly easy to do.

IMO it is easier to change the whole unit than the individual components, or at least easier to dis-assemble the unit off the car.

4 nuts by the brake pedal (UJ socket made it easier for one of them), and the 3 brake pipes that cross the bulkhead (didn't need to loosen them the other end). All done in less than 2 hours.

I bought a complete unit for less than £20 delivered and that seems to be a general guide price.

Hope it helps

cheeRS
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
csteven
Virgin

Thanks for the tip Cossiedad, I just had another look/listen it seems as though there is some kind of bypass in the ABS block (over near and below the battery) it's almost like you can hear the fluid bypassing inside it when you press the pedal rather than loading the brakes up. Does anyone know if that makes any sense? It doesn't seem quite right that if an electrical part fails that you get no brakes at all, but obviously something major has failed somewhere, it's just perplexing since I have no leaks the fluid must be either bypassing somewhere or leaking past the master cyclinder seal.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
BIG WULL
Fae the Dale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The abs is pants on these cars imo. Disconnect is my advice but most dont recommend that. I honestly think the system is dangerous.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

You can easily disconnect the ABS, but your not confusing that with the pump are you as that's needed? I personally have never had any trouble with it, it's works on the same principle as a modern system.

What you (OP) are referring to below the battery is the ABS valve block. I suspect the M/C personally from what your saying.

Martin