Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

whats the easy way to change my rear shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM
mulla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile whats the easy way to change my rear shocks and springs

as above changed the front shocks not to much hassle,now how do you change the rears,also took of the original motocraft suspension its in very good condtion whats it worth thanks mulla
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
steves24V's
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear's easy, undo top shock mounts in boot, jack car up on rear beam mounts arm will hang down more so be careful of you brake hoses remove lower shock bolt and spring, fit new parts in reverse. (you may need to pop the arb links off too befor removing spring)

Last edited by steves24V's; 09-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM
boy-racer-1

done the rear on my sierra 2 weeks ago and sadly if cosworth springs are anything near like the springs that were on my car then you will also have a pig of a job getting them out unless you drop the rear axle maybe? i couldnt get clamps on to squash them enough atall, i ended up cutting my rear springs in half as i didnt need them again, i then fitted coil overs so i wouldnt know if its easy or not to refit new springs as for the dampers its a doddle as you will see
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

you will need to drop the rear beam to change the springs, if you have a standard diff mount then place a trolley jack under the front of the diff, undo the beam to chassis mounts, and lower the jack slowly, keeping an eye on your brake lines. the entire beam will drop at the front and hinge down enough to pop the springs out.
if you have a solid diff mount you will have to undo that aswell and let the whole beam drop.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

This will be my next project, I done a "reccy" on the rears and they do look pretty tricky due to the tightness of space, although I think if I took the wheel off (Which you obviously would) this would have gave me more room.

My theory was to jack one side up at a time undo the metal guide plate and shock at which point I am hoping the beam will drop enough to allow the spring clear the bump stop and pan and be removed.

Be careful of the said brake lines, again it's suggested you disconnect the pipes and plug them but I am hoping I can get away without doing this.

Haynes suggest you remove the driveshafts as this is why I was looking as I don't want to have to touch these unless neccessary, shocks are very easy to change, hardest part is lifting the beam up as it will drop when removed. Easy if you have an additional pair of hands or a jack etc to lift it with.

Martin
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

both sides at the same time else the beam will not drop, you need to undo the two smaller bolts holding the plate in position and the big bolt through the beam bush.
put the back end on axle stands and the jack under the front end of the diff.
no need to remove drive shafts.
for the brake lines i just pulled the c clips holding the top end of the flexys to the shell and used the bit of movement in the solid lines and it was just enough
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

both sides at the same time else the beam will not drop, you need to undo the two smaller bolts holding the plate in position and the big bolt through the beam bush.
put the back end on axle stands and the jack under the front end of the diff.
no need to remove drive shafts.
for the brake lines i just pulled the c clips holding the top end of the flexys to the shell and used the bit of movement in the solid lines and it was just enough
Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

piece of piss to fit mate - if i can do it anyone can
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM
mulla

going to have a go anyway thanks for all the replys
Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Danny.
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steves24V's
Rear's easy, undo top shock mounts in boot, jack car up on rear beam mounts arm will hang down more so be careful of you brake hoses remove lower shock bolt and spring, fit new parts in reverse. (you may need to pop the arb links off too befor removing spring)
I done them just like above.. On a lift tho..