Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

MT75 quickshift

Search this Thread

Old 18-10-2007, 04:25 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT75 quickshift

Hi guys has anyone fitted a swedish mt75 quickshift short lever to their 4x4 saff? I just got one and ya get no instructions or dias, Ive whipped all the gear off inside the car but not too sure whats next or if indeed ya can do it from there. Dont want to just attack it and f### something up lol.
Also what are the results after fitting? Cheers steve
Old 18-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

I have fitted a quickshift system to a 2wd MT75 (V6) but mine wasn't swedish (whatever that is)
I bet that except for the shape of the gearlinkage (4x4 is round and 2wd is a flat bar) things should be the same.

Basically:
Whip of the hearlinkage.
Remove gearshaft (a pin through bottom "knuckle") I used a thin bolt to hammer it through
Remove rubber gearlinkage gaitor (probably torn & detoriated, butr new ones still available with Ford)
Take of the flat circlip on the top side. I used two very thin crosshead screwdriver to push the ends together so it comes out, Be careful though, it's very thin and bends easily
Remove washer
Push the bottom "knuckle" out the gearlinkage

Don't forget to replace the small rubber gaitor where the gearlinkage meets the box. I forgot on mine

Puttings things back on is ofcourse reversal of the above and very straightforward. Before you put back the rubber gearlinkage gaitor (on the bottom side of the gearstick cradle) make sure everything is in order and greased because it's pretty fiddly taking it off in 1 piece again.

The result is a much more snappy feeling in the gearchange.
Old 19-10-2007, 04:34 AM
stevecossy
PassionFord Regular

Nice 1 mate. yeah 4x4 is a ball end, think some swedish guy made first 1 of these and thats where name came from. cheers again bud. steve
Old 19-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Dont u have 2 drop the back gearbox mounting off n take a bolt/pin out of the bottom of the gear stick.
Old 20-10-2007, 09:54 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

what you have all forgotten is that you need to have access to the bit you are traying to get out int he first place

i.e. the gear selector cradle needs to be removed from the box in the first place befreo you can do any of this

and seeing as there isn't enough space without dropping th ebox, it's normally quicker to remove the box totaly, do the job in 10 minutes, then bolt the box back in again rather thanspend 5 horus trying to get bts and bobs out through various little appetures you may or may not have hands small enought o fit through

Remko GT
the little bolt that secres the linkage also has a locking tab on it and only goes in one way (you can put it in the other way around but there is a little kink i the bar to give you move movement) and this little pin and the tightness you put on it before you lock it into place reduces the amount of slop in the stick by a huge amount