Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Another smoking cossy - any advice welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2007, 12:20 PM
RS Juto
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another smoking cossy - any advice welcomed

Early this year decided to to a top end rebuild and replace the turbo on my 2wd. I removed the engine and then the head and a good friend of mine whos an ex turbosystem guy checked the pistons and block. There was no signs of wear and it looked quite new to be honest. There was never any slap or knocking from the engine as the car has only done 64000 miles and has been run standard until 62000 and then it was only stage one. so overall it had an easy life.

The head was sent off and fiited with new guides / seals cleaned and polished etc. I purchased a brand new T34 and it was all bolted together with a YB611, new bolts and cometic gaskets etc.

Engine fitted back in and started up and then a couple of hundred miles were done at a slow run in pace and then it was converted to greens 3 bar etc and set at 21psi

Now for the problem, if the car is left idling and then reved it smokes, it also smokes on overrun so where could the oil be coming from. Ive changed the oil that made a slight difference but not much really.

Could it be the rings hope not and there was no signs of wear on the bores. Do you think a should go down the compression test route

Any ideas please
Old 26-09-2007, 01:33 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What oil are you using ?
tabetha
Old 26-09-2007, 01:45 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Mine smoked on overrun but not when revved from idle, mine was rings,by the law of averages you have had the head done and the turbo, so only rings left, unless you are using a standard breather at high boost, but then again if boost causes oil to go into the breather then the bores are worn. So unless something is wrong that has been done then it all points to rings, but have a leakdown test done to confirm where the problem is. My 2wd engine was well worn at about 60k and I was told this was common on these engines.

Darren
Old 27-09-2007, 11:54 AM
RS Juto

Originally Posted by tabetha
What oil are you using ?
tabetha
Valvoline 10/50 if i remember correctly
Old 27-09-2007, 12:00 PM
RS Juto

Originally Posted by daz1968
Mine smoked on overrun but not when revved from idle, mine was rings,by the law of averages you have had the head done and the turbo, so only rings left, unless you are using a standard breather at high boost, but then again if boost causes oil to go into the breather then the bores are worn. So unless something is wrong that has been done then it all points to rings, but have a leakdown test done to confirm where the problem is. My 2wd engine was well worn at about 60k and I was told this was common on these engines.

Darren
Yes Daz i think you are right, based on the law of averages it must be the rings. looks like it will have to come out again. I will get a test done and may be put a set of pistons and rings on my Christmas list

The breather by the way is a baileys mirror image tank so i cant see that being the problem either