Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

2wd saphh driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 26-07-2007, 10:56 PM
timster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2wd saphh driving me nuts

I've had an intermittent problem with my cossie for the past two years with it not starting.It all started one day when it just turned over and wouldn't start.opened the bonnet with a spare spark plug to check for spark,turned it over and it started.It done this to me for a few months until I did actually managed to get it not to start while i attached a plug and there was no spark.I decided to take out the dash and have the old car alarm removed by an auto electrician and had no further problems until a few weeks ago when it broke down whilst driving coughing and spluttering then nothing.Called out the AA who in all fairness didn't just tow me home.He checked and said no spark to which I then commented on how i've been down this road before.He then Put the rotar arm,cap and connections back on including ignition amplifier and phase sensor and it bloody started!had no trouble with it since must have done 1500 miles since then.Got in it tonight outside work and its just turning over no starting.Turned ignition off then tried to start it again and it starts but coming home the few hundred yards it starts coughing and spluttering again.Has anyone else had this problem?changed the crank sensor on it last year and put new cap and rotar arm on it any help would be gratefully recieved
Old 27-07-2007, 12:44 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a pain in the arse

first thing I'd do is inspect ALL the engine wiring loom connectors - pull back the rubber boots and give the wires where they go into the back of the pins a good wiggle - any that look dodgy, remove the pin from the housing, cut off the pin and replace with a new one (or get someone else to replace it if you can't)

also check that the pins are secure in the plastic housings - make sure that when you're pushing the connector into place that the pins aren't pushed out of their housings

check the condition of the phase sensor wiring inside the dizzy - the plastic rots, leaving the 2 wires to come into contact with each other, and also check the crank sensor wiring - it goes hard and brittle
Old 27-07-2007, 08:24 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As jon@work says phase sensor wiring flakes away if earlier ones, later ones have proper insulation.
The most likely culprit is the CPS CONNECTOR, very very common.
Listen for a fuel prime first thing in the morning, BEFORE STARTING, if it does not prime this points to the CPS.
Any dodgy connectors can be bought brand new from POLEVOLT.CO.UK.
Get someone to turn engine on starter while you wiggle the cps connector.
The problem with it is the pins in the housing(female side) as they lose their grip and so cause arcing and all the symptoms you describe, I use a small pin to squash them together tighter, and this gives a few days of use, but of course is just a test to see if it is that.
tabetha
Old 27-07-2007, 08:42 AM
timster

Thanks for the replys guys,i had the auto electrician check out the connections and they checked out fine.he even pulled out my ecu to see if the loom was chaffing anywhere.I'll check for the fuel priming thing as well,would a ignition amplifier cause those symtoms as well?
Old 27-07-2007, 08:51 AM
timster

just tried to start it now and its having none of it.The fuel pump didn't prime but was making a noise when it was being turned over then it started under protest
Old 27-07-2007, 11:03 PM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a similar problem with my 4x4 and it was the map sensor wiring . wouldnt start and when it finally did it was couching and spluttering when i put the acc pedal down then died .
Old 28-07-2007, 04:02 AM
dox
Regular Contributor

i have the same problem with my cossie, not starting, i would turn the key
and some relays would go into a clicking frenzzy were the factory alarm
and check unit are on the drivers side dash, the car would just crank over
and not start but eventully would after bout 30 seconds of cranking
once started the relays would still continue to click for 30 seconds
really pisses me off when it does it, still havent fixed it, was going to
pull the factory alarm out but wasnt game enough to do it myself
incase the thing wouldnt start at all. i put it down to the alarm
or that check unit thingee under the alarm module?.......whats your guys thoughts i would really love to get it fixed

Trending Topics

Old 28-07-2007, 04:26 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

A fuel pump on it's way out can also do this, so might be worth rigging up a pressure gauge and watching the pressure when cranking and idling.
tabetha
Old 28-07-2007, 04:34 AM
dox
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
A fuel pump on it's way out can also do this, so might be worth rigging up a pressure gauge and watching the pressure when cranking and idling.
tabetha
k im installing a press gauge when the car goes back together along with
a 044 FP hopefully this fixes it. it would only do it sometimes, maybe go
for months without doing it and then there it is again when you least expect it
Old 28-07-2007, 08:28 AM
timster

Auto electrician is coming this morning so I'll let you know the outcome,watch it behave when he arrives now!
Old 28-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I had a fault on my cossie it wud start run for about 5to 10 mins n then cut out u cud turn the key n crank the engine n it wudnt start. Leave the car for about 30 mins n then it wud run. I put a fuel filter on n its been sweet ever since. I emptyed the fuel filter n the shit what come out was unreal.
Old 28-07-2007, 09:03 AM
timster

Had the tank repaired last year and fuel filter changed every two years
Old 28-07-2007, 04:32 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it 2wd? what are the relays like? the 2 under the glove box.check them matey.
Old 29-07-2007, 12:40 PM
timster

Changed the phase sensor,checked all the multiplugs again cps sensor wiring all checks out cars running okay now until the next time....
Old 02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
saff cosworth
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

had somthing similar turned out to be the fuel pump connectors on the pump itself...
it can be very annoying trying to find out what is wrong, but with guys like tebetha and jon@work you'll get it eventually...
all the best paddy
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
TurboFlush
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by glennshute
I had a fault on my cossie it wud start run for about 5to 10 mins n then cut out u cud turn the key n crank the engine n it wudnt start. Leave the car for about 30 mins n then it wud run. I put a fuel filter on n its been sweet ever since. I emptyed the fuel filter n the shit what come out was unreal.
my 2.8i 4x4 scorpio does much the same. noticed the fuel pressure would drop as the car got warm. So I ordered a fuel pump. That did not fix the problem. Last year I hada similar problem, so I replaced parts in the dizzy. I am waiting on those parts now. It lasted me a year when I replaced the TFI and the sensor in the dizzy.

Mine shows me that it is heat related. I am gonna check the map sensor to though.

TF
Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I recently bought a FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE for £14.79 including postage with all the connectors off fleabay.
Checked mine and it was bang on, friend checked the accuracy of gauge on master guage(he works for instrument calibrators) and it was within 5% at all pressures, ace for the money.
I got it from AIRMAZING seller george thomas, every workshop should have one for the money, I bet a garage would charge more than this to check it ?
tabetha
Old 04-08-2007, 02:02 PM
BIL N KEL
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

check the wiring on the fuel pump cut off in the spare wheel well. i got water leak into mine through the rear light and didn't know, i pulled up outside my mates house turned my car off then tried to start it 2min later and nothing. where the water was in the well it had corroded the wires on the switch, when i removed it the wires fell off
Old 04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason in a old 2wd of mine , mines sometimes done this and wouldn`t start , took off ecu cover and pushed connector abut and it started , dunno if it was just a coinsidence but always solved it when it did happen !!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
timster

I had the same problem with the switch in the boot thing a few years ago bought a new inertia switch and done some rewiring as well.The car's done 200 miles this week and hasn't missed a beat.Gave it a bit of tuning going up to mid wales this week!