Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

Proper bugging me now :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM
pixellcraig
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper bugging me now :/

My car has a heated windscreen, but it doesn't work. I can't figure out why it's not. I've changed the fuses, checked the connections, changed switch. Is there anything else i need to check?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Need to check you're getting power to the screen first, with a meter/test light.

Does the switch light up?

Have you checked the screen element has resistance each side?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM
pixellcraig

The switch doesn't light up, but the one for the rear does.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

no power to the switch then

or the bulbs blown
Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 PM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not taking the piss but is your screen actually heated as in can you see the elements on the screen. Most cars with heated screens that have had a replacement and had a non heated screen put in
Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM
pixellcraig

Yeah you can see the elements.

When i bought the car it had an autoglass tax disx holder on it, and heard that AG fit their own heated and they're poop. Could this be the problem?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Even if it was the new screen at fault which I doubt, the switch should still light up.

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Autoglass don't make glass. They buy from (nearly) all the same places as the rest of the replacement trade. What brand is the glass? Pilkington?

This is probably a stupid question, but you are testing the screen works with the engine running, right? Because it won't do anything with the engine off and just position-1 ignition.

If you're getting power all the way to it, including the switch, but it still won't work, then the chances are the elements are broken rendering it useless. They are thin fine wires, kinda like bulb filaments, and the screen has two "banks" (a left and a right) so if an element is broken, that bank stops working.

Which Focus is it? Mk1 or 2? If Mk1, what year? Mk1's had two different heated screens fitted - early one had the terminals at both bottom corners (each has two wires - 1 to power, in a connector, and the other an earth, bolted to the bodywork) and the later ones had a single connector bottom middle, with an earth strap that bolts to the body behind the front interior light. Mk2's have terminals at both bottom corners (power, in connectors) and an earth strap under the interior light.

Check all the terminals for water ingress - it's very common they have not been put back properly (located I mean, not connected) which allows water to get inside them and short them out. The mk2's suffer from the foil strap on the drivers side being ripped off by the wiper mech when fitters don't put them back correctly. The passenger side is susceptible for getting water in the connector if not put back right. Both mk's will probably have another earth wire behind the light, so check this is fitted correctly - sometimes if they're put back in the wrong order, it can stop them working (from memory, it should be screen earth strap against the roof, then the secondary earth (no idea what it's for, probably the light) between the screen earth and nut)

Also, check the mini blade 10amp fuse that makes the interior light work. This can often blow and sometimes, with seemingly no pattern, stop the heated screen work...
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Top advice.

Just had a look on wiring diagram for mk1 Focus

Fuse 4 (50a,large fuse) in the battery junction box feeds the relay, the relay is also in the battery junction box. Pretty much inline with fuse 4. Engine run relay is connected to the HFS relay too, as Thrush says, these only work with engine running (and if the battery is charging)

Switch get power through the central junction box (fusebox behind the glovebox) and is also controlled by the central timer module (GEM module which controls the amount of time the screen is on)

Fuse no 58 7.5a (in the fusebox behind the glove box) feeds the switch side of the circuit.

Without know exact build date of car that's only a guide for 2000> Focus mk1.

Last edited by GVK.; 11-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 PM
pixellcraig

Originally Posted by Thrush
Autoglass don't make glass. They buy from (nearly) all the same places as the rest of the replacement trade. What brand is the glass? Pilkington?

This is probably a stupid question, but you are testing the screen works with the engine running, right? Because it won't do anything with the engine off and just position-1 ignition.

If you're getting power all the way to it, including the switch, but it still won't work, then the chances are the elements are broken rendering it useless. They are thin fine wires, kinda like bulb filaments, and the screen has two "banks" (a left and a right) so if an element is broken, that bank stops working.

Which Focus is it? Mk1 or 2? If Mk1, what year? Mk1's had two different heated screens fitted - early one had the terminals at both bottom corners (each has two wires - 1 to power, in a connector, and the other an earth, bolted to the bodywork) and the later ones had a single connector bottom middle, with an earth strap that bolts to the body behind the front interior light. Mk2's have terminals at both bottom corners (power, in connectors) and an earth strap under the interior light.

Check all the terminals for water ingress - it's very common they have not been put back properly (located I mean, not connected) which allows water to get inside them and short them out. The mk2's suffer from the foil strap on the drivers side being ripped off by the wiper mech when fitters don't put them back correctly. The passenger side is susceptible for getting water in the connector if not put back right. Both mk's will probably have another earth wire behind the light, so check this is fitted correctly - sometimes if they're put back in the wrong order, it can stop them working (from memory, it should be screen earth strap against the roof, then the secondary earth (no idea what it's for, probably the light) between the screen earth and nut)

Also, check the mini blade 10amp fuse that makes the interior light work. This can often blow and sometimes, with seemingly no pattern, stop the heated screen work...
It's a 2003 mk1 focus. I know that the connectors are in top middle and bottom. I'd like to have a go at fixing it myself but not the best with electrics. Also i've looked through the elements looking for any obvious breaks but i can't see anything.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Highly unlikely you'll see a break in the elements - it could be thinner than a hair, but it's enough for it to not work. You best bet is to check the physical points - the connector, the earth, the fuses and relays, and then check all along the powerline with a volt tester to check you're getting power at everything. If you end up at the screen, then you know it's the screen that's gone. Simple.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:31 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can check the resistance of the element at the screen connector too.

Get the switch lighting up and power to the screen first though.