Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

St170 lambda and cat bracket problems. And wobbling under load please help

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Royston888
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St170 lambda and cat bracket problems. And wobbling under load please help

Hi I'm Roy. New to this site and looking for help.

Proud owner of a st170

So the story starts with eml light coming on and after taking it to be read at a garage it was lambda sensor 1 so I had replaced at a cost of £155 all in. The old one had snapped! Ok replaced with a Denso sensor

So 2 days later the elm light rears it ugly yellow glow again

Take it back to the garage and he says that it is sensor 2 this time the rear one. Ok so I go to the parts shop myself and buy a Bosch lambda sensor 2 and get under car to fit it.

Find out the second sensor is rubbing on the drive shaft where the wires come out of the top. Ok. Find that the cat bracket has snapped on the cat side and and bracket side. Sorted the new bracket and having the cat side welded up.

Problem is the new sensor 2 I have bought is 15 mm longer than the original ford part. And I know from taking off the cat that fitting new bracket and putting cat back on won't give the clearance needed to fit new sensor!? So how do garages fit these sensors if they run so close to the driveshaft? Can I plug original second sensor hole and drill and weld new thread in a slightly different position ?

Plus because the garage used a Denso sensor 1 did this throw a fault with the second sensor because the second sensor is original ford part?? Is the sencond sensor damaged enough to give a fault?

Problem 2 started way before this and it goes like this..

Only under load/acceleration the is a bad wobble throughout whole car mainly above 30 mph when accelerating at any rate. All ok on braking and deacceleration. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have checked drive shafts for play and seem fine

Any advice on these problems would be great )))

Thanks Roy.

Top Bosch bottom ford part

Where rubbing on drive shaft. Wires not perished

Old 23-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Nigel Sirrell
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile lambda touching driveshaft

hi,did you ever find a fix to this problem as mine is currently doing the same
Old 24-01-2016, 06:59 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

in reply to the older post 1st a lot of the time this sort of thing is caused by fitting non OE parts so things like exhausts take a slightly different line or bent brackets re the lambdas for futrure ref, re wobble nigel if this is your issue could be a warped brake disc or wheel bearing
Old 24-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Ive had a few problems with my lambdas over the last few weeks. I noticed lambda to ha caught the drive shalf. I had another lambda lying about so ive put this on. The light came back on again. Fault with no 1 lambda. Ive noticed the wiring and plug is just lying around on the side of the gearbox.

Ive fitted a bracket and secured it to the bracket.