Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Dtc p1518...again!

Search this Thread

Old 13-07-2009, 06:47 PM
LewisST170
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dtc p1518...again!

Got this fault code again even though i have fixed the DSI clip, after it broke. Bluefin shows DTC P1518. Inlet runner control stuck open.

Why am i still getting this code? as soon as i wipe it with the bluefin its back again.

The control module must be fine because it is making the dsi move when throttle is opened.

Have noticed on startup after about 5 secs there is a noticeable 'Vacuum suction' type noise, dunno if its related?

Any ideas? car is 52 plate

Cheers
Lewis
Old 18-07-2009, 11:58 PM
stevierob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Lewis,
checked the code off your bluefin with autodata and it comes up with,,

intake manifold air control solenoid, bank 1 solenoid stuck open. not sure if that helps ya mate...

steve
Old 19-07-2009, 02:39 PM
LewisST170

Hi mate,

Thats a slighty diff version of what bluefin is saying, but seems they both suggest the same thing....

thing is the intake manifold doesnt feel its sticking when you work the dsi with your hand and the cable moves when you start/rev the engine..

would the 'intake manifold air control solenoid' be in the control module on the bulk head or actually within the intake manifold itself???

cheers for the info
Old 19-07-2009, 06:06 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you replace the runner control box too? ( the silver box that bolts to the bulkhead behind the inlet manifold).

99% of the time when the clip breaks, this box draws the cable in too far, thus stripping the gears inside. Most of the time they completely fail (like mine did) and other times they can just break a couple of teeth causing them to slip.

I've done a bit of looking around for you on focusfanatics (american but some good info) and it seems to be that you need to replace that box. Don't be confused if you look on focus fanatics, because on american focuses, that control box is located under one of the headlights!
Old 19-07-2009, 06:42 PM
LewisST170

Originally Posted by Rich170
Did you replace the runner control box too? ( the silver box that bolts to the bulkhead behind the inlet manifold).

99% of the time when the clip breaks, this box draws the cable in too far, thus stripping the gears inside. Most of the time they completely fail (like mine did) and other times they can just break a couple of teeth causing them to slip.

I've done a bit of looking around for you on focusfanatics (american but some good info) and it seems to be that you need to replace that box. Don't be confused if you look on focus fanatics, because on american focuses, that control box is located under one of the headlights!
hello mate,

cheers for the digging around, appreciate it

did wonder about the control module also looked on fanatics, but i was thinking because the dsi was being moved when revved that the control box was not faulty

?????
Old 21-07-2009, 12:55 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

It can still work however if its knocked a couple of teeth off the cogs inside the box it might not be opening fully, thus registering the fault.

Best bet is to take the box off and inspect it inside, or just shove a new one on.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/focus_st170_inlet_manifold_runner_control_imrc_813 .htm

Certainly not cheap, but its either that or a fault inside the inlet manifold itself (unlikely but not unheard of) which is going to be lots and lots of money to put right.

Could try the price from ford from the box. If I can find the invoice for mine I'll let you know how much ford charged me for mine when I had to replace it.

Rich
Old 21-07-2009, 03:12 PM
LewisST170

cheers Rich

Just looked inside the IMRC and all looks fine. All cogs have their teeth and the cogs are moving freely and smoothly.

Just cleared the code again with Bluefin, no doubt it will pop back up when i go out in it.

I'm sure the car isn't performoing as it should, its frustrating to think something could be wrong, but can't figure out what!!!

Don't really wanna replace expensive bits and pieces to then find thats not the prob.

''intake manifold air control solenoid, bank 1 solenoid stuck open'' is the fault code as below.

cheers Is there a solenoid? Could this be the fault, not sure where the solenoid would be though??

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 21-07-2009, 03:16 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

No i dont think there is any sort of solenoid. To be honest mate I have no more ideas of what it could be, just going from the info on focusfanatics that says replacing that box fixes the problem.

But as you say, if you are not 100% then that is a lot of money down the drain! You could always buy it from ford and return it if it doesn't fix the problem? Make sure about their returns policy first though...
Old 26-07-2009, 05:20 PM
LewisST170

Having WD40'd the cogs in the IMRC, the engine management light hasn't appeared again yet, so figers crossed!!!
Old 26-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Brow
Virgin

I had the same fault code and problem on mine after a month and 2 days of owning it.

I took it back to the garage and it was repaired under warranty. Ford told the garage that replaced the unit for me that it was the 'Solenoid Valve' which was at fault. They changed the whole unit (the 1 pictured above) and it's been fine since.