Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

Help - Engine Management Light on

Search this Thread

Old 24-04-2013, 06:48 PM
SimonP1976
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Engine Management Light on

Hi,

1.25 mk5 zetec fiesta - petrol 2001/02

I recently had some trouble with engine management light coming on, and occ. flashing when over higher revs. Various tests done, linked back to here:
https://passionford.com/forum/ford-f...er-issues.html
spark plugs fine - coil pack and leads changed entirely, and car was running fine from then until today.

Noticed when picking up other half from work 5 mins away engine management light come on , and stay on. No flashing over certain revs, and engine 'seems' to be ticking over ok - no apparently misfiring again like before.

Car booked in to local chap I use for diagnostic tomorrow, but just wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for, given coil pack and leads were replaced last week. Light hasn't come on until tonight again and is 'solid' not flashing.

oil is good colour, clean, no residue - and there's no water in spark plug area, all clean (sparks were new, changed last Oct.) - engine appears to tick over fine now at idle.

Only thing that slightly concerns me, but neighbour who knows more about cars than I do, is the heat that appears to be coming from directly behind main engine part (I'm not techie)

any help/thoughts gratefully received before tomorrow

BONUS INFO: Have just taken the car out for a quick 10-15 min run out and back from cold engine. When started, no spluttering from exhaust at all. Upon return through when idling, the exhaust seemed to be a little rougher at idle, not really a splutter, but still rougher than when we set off. Not sure if this helps or not

Last edited by SimonP1976; 24-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 25-04-2013, 08:18 AM
SimonP1976
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right - more info this morning - plugged into code reader and got a P0420 - Catalytic/emissions problem.

It was the only code that came up, so I'm wondering if the previous issues had started to break down the inside of the cat. There is a 'slight' sputter form exhaust (putt-putt) when at idle since coil pack and leads were replaced, and it appears to be firing on all four cylinders well.

I assume this means new cat - local chap i use is fairly confident that is going to be what it is, but i'm wondering if things like egr valve etc should be checked at same time, although only fault code that came up was as above.

Any ideas on likely cost to replace cat? mk5 1.25 zetec fiesta (2001/02) standard, petrol.

Many thanks for looking

Last edited by SimonP1976; 25-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 25-04-2013, 09:16 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Misfires (signalled by the flashing EML) can damage the catalyst.
Splutter from the exhaust may indicate that there's still a problem.
This problem then could damage the new cat as well.

Check fueling before replacing the catalyst.
One method is reading the fuel trims (especially the Long Term) with a scanner.
The Long Term Fuel Trim ideally should be around 0%.
Between 5 and 10% needs investigating, above 10% (both positive or negative) indicates a mixture problem.

How to check the cat: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/cat-efficiency.html