Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Martial Arts???

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2006, 10:14 PM
capri_boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Martial Arts???

Im joining a Gym after xmas and really want to get fit!

Im also lookin at starting Kick boxing or something, how much will i benefit from this? and is it a good idea to start this when im so unfit??

I really just want to tone up, and leave the 'spare tyres' on the car!

I also see alot of you talking about diets and proteins?? i really have no clue about this stuff, is there any sites i can find out more on??

Heres a recent pic of me! Hopefully will see a big difference in a year or so?

Old 17-12-2006, 09:00 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tone up

You need to decide what your goal is, big muscles are a hinderance with certain martial arts.
I would just eat healthy first and start gentle exercise, AFTER A CONSULTATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR, to see if you have anything that you need to know about.
Forget proteins shakes etc for now as you will be crapping most of it down the pan that you do not use.
Eat high protein foods chicken/turkey(NOT SKIN), tuna, walnuts, use OMEGA MARG with sterols.
Protein is ace but do not take in more than you use, same and important with CARBS.
Think of the body as a bucket with a small hole in bottom, if you put too much water(carbs) in it will overflow(fat), too little(carbs) and your bucket empties(fat goes).
The BHF, british heart foundation do a excellent poster with the good stuff on it.
I would start using a green tea capsule a day, GNC or H/B do these.
I would give kick boxing a miss for now until a bit fitter, walking at normal does not do a lot at all, run instead, and start CV at gym.
The GYM will have a induction where they go through a programme with you to acheive your aims and they are genrally very good.
Once you start and get the bug you could do worse than CREATINE when weight training this preserves muscle mass and aids future gain of muscle.
It ideally needs to be taken with warm water with a teaspoon of sugar in it, or it will not absorb into body properly.
Just some ideas hope they help.
tabetha
Old 30-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Pob5454

Kick boxing or something similar could be a good idea to help weight loss. It will get you fit and - crucially - if you like it, it will keep you motiviated as you start to intergrate with a new group of friends.

The picture you posted isn't working, so don't know how big you are but I dont think it would matter too much. They aren't going to throw you in a pro-ring on the first day. Kick Boxing is very cardio intensive, so you will get tired regardless of your size - and you'll also get fitter.

Any of the martial arts are good for this kind of thing though. Its a great way to loose weight and meet new people - if you stick at it. At the martial arts clubs that I attend there are people of all different shapes and sizes - and everyone gets a good workout. Afterall, you only work to your own limitations - not everyone elses.

The gym is also a good idea. They have personal trainers who can assist you in reaching your goals. However, if you don't fancy a gym, try mags such as Mens Health which give tons of practicle advice on training and eating. Walking, swimming, jogging or sports (racket sports are great fun and excellent workout) are also simple, cheap and an excellent start.

Whatever you choose, remember to keep it regular.

Good look, and enjoy it! If you don't enjoy it, try something else. Thats they key.
Old 31-12-2006, 03:13 PM
OvaBoost
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

kickboxing errr no
BOXING you will benefit hugely from. You have to be extremely fit to be able to box properly and if you join a boxing gym you will love it.
Old 31-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Deedum
Regular Contributor

Kickboxing is a good way to start if you have a good instuctor. A good warm up and some good techniques will certainly see you sweat some.
If you find it easy then yes move onto something else.
I attend some kickboxing lessons and find their lessons much more demanding than Taekwondo (fitness wise)
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
denbo
PassionFord Regular

Hi lads i run a Kickboxing class and i can say that its very good to lose alot of weight but its upto you tho to keep a very good eating plan aswell

Yes go to the gym aswell eat good foods and only drink water at all times never drink the water very fast just drink it very slow just like a stream going down into the body that help a lot .

When u fin any workout get home and have a hot bath for 1/2 hour and then have a hot cupper tea when u get out this will slow down the lactic acid in your body .

Have great fun aswell and u meet new people !!