Cars for Sale Register for a Gold Membership to sell your car here!

1983 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet £1000

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet £1000

Not a Ford, but thought someone on here may be interested in this as it's a fantastic little car and a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Basically, reason for sale is I need to free up some space due to an impending business expansion and therefore I need to trim down my collection of cars by two. Hence the RS2000 for sale on here and now this Golf.

Right, first up a few photos of the car. (I'll add more showing specific bits and pieces highlighted later).

The car is taxed until the end of the year and MOT'd until late April 2012.

145,000 Miles

Car has had a long list of new parts including a brand new hood which isn't a cheap one and fits perfectly. Car is completely wind and rain proof and I got caught in what felt like a monsoon a few weeks back and driving along it really didn't feel like a convertible at all, didn't let any water or wind in.

It's also had a brand new clutch and a gearbox which had only covered 200 miles.

The engine was supposedly fully rebuilt and refreshed shortly prior to me buying the car. I have nothing to back this up on paper, but anyone who sees or drives the car I'm sure would not question this, the engine is superb and runs sweet as a nut. Last week after not using the car in almost two weeks the battery was virtually flat and barely turning the car over and the engine still burst into life. It really is the strongest MK1 Golf engine I've ever had in my time. There are also alot of clearly new parts on show which back up what was told me including all new filters and fully braided fuel lines throughout.

I also fitted a new and uprated gear linkage and bushing kit as that is surely the most common weakness on these cars.

Car also comes equipped with recently-added FK Coilovers and a front strut brace. The car really does feel as tight and sharp as a MK1 GTi hatch rather than the convertible which usually feels softer and more wallowy. It really does drive superbly and the handling is tight and sharp. It's even surprisingly smooth on most roads. Sure on partcularly bumpy roads it gets a little crashy, but certainly no more than you'd expect from a 28 year old car running on coilovers!

Other extras include the smooth Euro-style front grille, new Euro headlights and tail lights, uprated headlight bulbs, white dials, Alpine stereo with the facility to add a CD Changer if you wish.

Bodily for its age it is excellent. It's had new rear arches and loads of other new bits. Underneath it's as solid as a rock, I'd challenge anyone to find one as solid as this outside the big-money concours set.

It's been resprayed in recent times. I'm not sure of the colour, but I think it may be the nice metallic/pearl blue that some Skoda VRS models are finished in. It also doesn't look a million miles away from Nissan Bayside Blue.

The paintwork is excellent, the only real let down on the bodywork is the bonnet as there are some flaws in it. I think maybe it had some rust in and wasn't properly sorted, but the rest is excellent. No real blemishes or orange peel anywhere as far as I can see. Oe thing I will add is that the engine bay, inside the boot and underneath is still the original colour (white), but all the door shuts etc are blue, and the overall appearance of the car is stunning.

I completed a 350-mile round trip through the Welsh B Roads a couple of months ago and it was one of the best driving experiences I've ever had. Get this car on the twisty roads with the roof down and it's amazing.

Couple of bad points, aside from the aforementioned bonnet, it would benefit from new seats. Mainly due to the driver's seat being worn through on the bolster, also some general marks to be expected on a 28 year old convertible with light-coloured seats.

The three centre console gauges don't appear to be functioning correctly, the speedo over-reads and the dash illumination appears to be a bit iffy, which again the instrument binnacle is a common MK1 Golf problem and there are plenty of them about, but it's not someting which really affects driving.

It's a great car which can be enjoyed from day 1 and improved gradually. I also prefer this to most MK1 Cabriolets as its one of the "proper" MK1's rather than the later ones which were diluted and made uglier as per the other Golfs ended up.

Anyway, looking for £1000 which is a bargain IMO, so not looking for offers.

Cheers

Mike
Old 18-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Just to add, it has four nearly new Falken tyres, recent discs, pads, shoes and brake lines...
Old 18-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Umi

px clio sport 172 53 reg need a bit of cash my way....
Old 19-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Umi
px clio sport 172 53 reg need a bit of cash my way....
As much as I REALLY like those cars and am tempted to say yes, as above my reason for selling is purely due to the need to slim down my collection a bit.

Cheers

Mike
Old 19-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Here a few more photos as promised.

First the interior. The drivers seat is the only real let down as said. There are the usual marks here and there, but the rest is pretty good. A like-for-like replacement is very cheap, but the new owners may prefer a more practical and attractive leather interior. It also has the original hard-wearing VW rubber mats in excellent condition.

The engine bay is nice and straight and everything is there and works as it should. Could be dressed up to suit your tastes.

The boot floor is nice and straight and as it should be.

Will also add that the car sounds fantastic, with a proper old-skool GTi exhaust note. Give it some revs in 3rd and 4th and it's one of the nicest sounds I know.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by Mike C; 19-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.