General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Think i've put diesel in a my Focus petrol

Search this Thread

Old 28-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've removed the rear seat, there is no access hole for the tank, just a tiny grommet where the wiring goes through. Saw a video on you tube and people cut the floor away to get at it. I can't do that as have given all my power tools away, plus it seems more hassle than it's worth.

I bought a syphon pipe and tried to put it in, it won't go in as there is an anti syphon protection.

Today, i've put another half a tank of unleaded in it, there is now 3/4's of a tank of unleaded and just a couple of litres of diesel. It wouldn't start, been trying all day. Got some Easy Start and sprayed it in, got the car started with that, then it caught and ran fine for about 10 minutes although really lumpy at idle. It burnt out all the diesel in the cylinders as there was plumes of smoke coming out the exhaust which then cleared up. I turned off and tried to restart it once warm, it wouldn't restart at 1st but did the 2nd turn. Decided to drive it, pulled a bit rough but not too bad.

Didn't get very far, it cut out when the rev's dipped as I was braking. It wouldn't restart for love nor money, even with the Easy Start.

It's doing my head in, can't understand how it can run for a bit then not anymore.
Old 28-01-2012, 04:39 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely because your spark plugs are now shot because of the diesel. New plugs and new fuel filter and brim it with unleaded since you've now got a whole lot more unleaded in it.
Old 28-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Escy

does the diesel damage them? I thought once burnt off they'd be good to go.

where is the fuel filter, in the engine bay or underneath?
Old 28-01-2012, 05:04 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
My Focus manages to detect it's misfires?
Missfire detection is carried out two ways, and only two ways at present.

Either the coils are monitored and a missfire is detected that way ( current required to charge will change, or it can detect not firing at all due to no discharge )

or by monitoring crankshaft acceleration just after a spark has occurred.
Old 28-01-2012, 05:16 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Diesel is a lot more oily and its presence will stop the spark plugs functioning properly hence it adding to your starting and running problems.
Old 28-01-2012, 06:01 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

fill up with petrol, remove and clean plugs, job done, whats all the fuss about
Old 28-01-2012, 06:16 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Sounds like you've put more diesel in than you're letting on.

And it's a total waste of time trying to dilute it with half measures. If you are totally against draining the tank, then you must replenish the tank with as much petrol as possible so it dilutes the diesel more.

And you can empty the tank using the cars fuel pump. Disconnect a fuel line somewhere, route this to a suitable container and power up the pump ( either manually at the plug/wiring near the pump, or by energising or bypassing the pump relay manually )

And for the next few weeks, you must keep an eye on the oil, and it will need changed.

The diesel will not burn off the same way, and it will end up mixed in with the oil in the sump thinning it down.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 28-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 28-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Escy

It wasn't a full Jerry can so i'm guessing it was 3 to 4 litres.

I don't care about the engine oil or anything like that. Moving to Brazil in a week and the car is being weighed in.

I'm a bit weary about putting more petrol in to dilute it, as it seems to be doing fuck all, it's got about £40 in it at the moment and is still acting up.

Suppose i'll have to just bridge the pump relay and tip it all out. Wish i'd done that £40 ago...
Old 29-01-2012, 11:15 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Sure it is definitely that, as said it may have done the plugs in or just be another coincidental issue?

With amount you say you have in there putting petrol on top should have caused no noticable problem.

Martin
Old 29-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Escy

all sorted, I bridged the pump relay to get rid of all the old stuff. Changed the fuel filter and put in some more unleaded. There was still a fair bit of the old stuff left in the tank, but it's running ok but idles rough.

I'm happy, thanks for all the advice guys
Old 29-01-2012, 04:42 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Escy
all sorted, I bridged the pump relay to get rid of all the old stuff. Changed the fuel filter and put in some more unleaded. There was still a fair bit of the old stuff left in the tank, but it's running ok but idles rough.

I'm happy, thanks for all the advice guys
Keep a close eye on engine oil over the next few hundred miles.

Watch the level very closely, as diesel will find it's way into the sump both raising levels and thinning it out quite badly.