General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What's your worst mistake at work??

Search this Thread

Old 26-03-2010, 11:02 PM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

not tightening a focus crank bolt tight enough which didnt have a woodruff key and only held things together with tighteness.started engine,major bang,took head off to find valves embedded in piston crown.ended up paying for recon engine and to fit in my own time
Old 26-03-2010, 11:14 PM
MunkeyboyRS
Bananas!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend has just come round a reminded me of a few other mishaps.
Most recent, after being made redundant I work for a few weeks on nights at the large electrical good warehouse (sounds like india food) using a clamp fork truck to move large screen tv. I was lifting a pack of tvs down for a picker and he was talking to me about the clamp truck, as I reversed back instead of lowering the load, I opened the clamps and drop the tvs about 6feet, so doing the right thing, I put them to the back of the location. Sorry to anyone that brought a plasma samsong before xmas that was smashed to bits in the box, but it was like 3 in the morning!

Next two involve getting sacked, with help from friends, first was when I was 16 and working at a Mcfast food. I had gone half with a mate on a Oz of pot, but not split it, so I had it before my shift then he would have it while I was working then we would meet after work, well I gave it to him before work. Then he decides he's not coming to mine when I finish work, but to come to work while on the front counter and just hand me nearly a oz of pot in front of the other, guess what, I didnt last the last hour of work! I was young a could careless.
Second was helped my said mate here reminding me of this.
I was working in a factory on 6-2shifts, was I thing 18. My parent were going on holiday on the wed morning for 2 weeks and I had booked 2 weeks off to start on the Thursday at 2. Well my two best mate were moving in for the two weeks with me, plan for them to come the thurs night, well they came on the wed afternoon, started getting pissed and stoned, and they had the great idea of keeping me up all night, by changing all the clocks in the house, so I went to bed at what I thought was a good time, and to wake up to my alarm saying 5:15, but it being super sunny out side and hot! found out it was like 3:30 in the afternoon, and I thought fuck it for 2 weeks,they will forget! First day back I was sacked!! still very young and stupid!
Old 26-03-2010, 11:35 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i could write a book,smashing vans on ice,broke a laptop,locked my keys in my van,left a house without a boiler for a few weeks as i took over a job somebody else had started but the most recent 1 was in my current job.
i work on the rigs as a cementer,we have 2 detroit v8 diesel engines with amrine cooling,no radiators,just a water to water tube.i forgot to turn the water on before starting pumping at 3000 psi.after 15 mins of being run flat out a guy stuck his head in teh door and asked if i was on fire,unusual question i dont get asked much and since i could smell a sweet smell i thought id better have a look,well when i got to the engine room door i knew straight away what i had forgot to do,the engine room is about 25 feet high and when i opened the door i could only see the bottom 3 feet.the engine had blown a few pipes off and the temp gauge needle was past the 120.c mark and was touching the side of the bezel.the whole cement unit was like a sauna and i was shitting myself,when the steam cleared and i put it back together and it cooled down it was fine.my heart was in my mouth that day.
Old 27-03-2010, 12:47 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too many to list
Old 27-03-2010, 03:41 AM
JamesXP
Part of the Furniture

Haha, i've made so many mistakes it's quite untrue...

biggest was probably I was lowering at set of ladders in the garage, and they all split into 3 pieces and smashed up the 206 what was infront of it

buggered bumper / bonnet, boss forked out and payed for it cause he was sorted, great success!
Old 27-03-2010, 08:01 AM
anodised
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

missing a break in at a plumb center lots of copper gone oops
Old 27-03-2010, 08:16 AM
clairendave
Dave not Claire.

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

went to an electric gate fault, stood at the control panel pressing the remote button and was gettting no signal indication, customer came running out the house shouting at me quite rudely, i was using the button for the garage door that was opening and closing on the 'opened' boot of his wifes car as she'd just come back from golfing.

one of my old collegues fitted some 'chubb' bolts to a ladys door and drilled the holes for the star key on the outside by mistake.
Old 27-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 155lee
ii work on the rigs as a cementer,we have 2 detroit v8 diesel engines with amrine cooling,no radiators,just a water to water tube.i forgot to turn the water on before starting pumping at 3000 psi.after 15 mins of being run flat out a guy stuck his head in teh door and asked if i was on fire,unusual question i dont get asked much and since i could smell a sweet smell i thought id better have a look,well when i got to the engine room door i knew straight away what i had forgot to do,the engine room is about 25 feet high and when i opened the door i could only see the bottom 3 feet.the engine had blown a few pipes off and the temp gauge needle was past the 120.c mark and was touching the side of the bezel.the whole cement unit was like a sauna and i was shitting myself,when the steam cleared and i put it back together and it cooled down it was fine.my heart was in my mouth that day.

Whoops what were you doing at the time? Cement job or pressure testing? Would've been nasty in middle of cement job to have to stop!

What rig you on?
Old 27-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Brian-B

Originally Posted by MadRod
My biggest mistake was waiting till i was 61 to retire from work, should have done it at 55.
Rod thats exactly what i intend to do, sod that waiting till 65.

Brian
Old 27-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Rob84

My biggest f*ck up came when I blew a 375psi steam header up at work (oil refinery) because I didn't warm it through properly before I re-comissioned it. This caused a delay in restarting a unit resulting in about $5 million lost in potential profit plus the cost of reparing the steam header its self. Managed to get away with it because I was trying to cover up a previous shifts mistake which the bosses took into consideration! I was a lucky boy that day!!
Old 27-03-2010, 10:32 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob84
My biggest f*ck up came when I blew a 375psi steam header up at work (oil refinery) because I didn't warm it through properly before I re-comissioned it. This caused a delay in restarting a unit resulting in about $5 million lost in potential profit plus the cost of reparing the steam header its self. Managed to get away with it because I was trying to cover up a previous shifts mistake which the bosses took into consideration! I was a lucky boy that day!!
$5 million oops
Old 27-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Tank Mike

I use to work for a rental company in the workshop.

We were alould to borrow vans on the odd occation, But when we did it was very clear that you used it to move what ever you were moving and that was it.

It was an 04 reg sprinter super cube. I took it to guildford cruise and parked it in a really tight spot. Went off, Had burger king looked and the chav dispay and came back to the van at about 11.30pm. Some how I managed to snap the key off in the drives door so it was locked with no key lol. I called the recovary service out and they had to drag it about to get it out of the space i'd squesed it into.

They billed work £800 for the recovary. Anyhow the next day I was serviceing a transit lutton on the ramp and the manager came over going mad, Why were you at guildford cusie, How did you snap the key?? Bla bla bla, And the siad the recovery would be taken from my wages.

I went mad, told him he shouldn't suply vans with dodgey keys ect ect and the rant got even more heated. So i told him to fuck off and i was going on road test and not paying anything, to witch I jumpped in the lutton van, wheelspun it off the ramp towards the shutter witch wasn't quite open enough and ripped the whole thing off the wall and smashing the lutton roof it bits.

His face was a picture, He never charged me for the shutter or the recovary. WINNER!!!

Last edited by Tank Mike; 27-03-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

years ago worked at burger king was cleaning the hood of the burger cooker,was using a chemicla to clean it,and got the chemical in my eye had to be rushed to hospital and use loads of water

was lucky i did not blind myself
Old 27-03-2010, 10:53 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ripped a bumper off a peoguet wedging a artic through a gap,and ripping a farm gate out the floor and not noticting till i was nearly back on the road.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose this is considered fraud in some circles so obviously the following story is a work of pure fiction.

I did door to door sales one summer when I was a student, it was for cheaper gas by paying a different provider.

I got a tenner for each person signed up, you needed their address, name and the gas meter number. It was hard, demoralising, shit work but I was only doing it for about 2 months through the holiday.

After finding out it took 3 months to complete the contract from start to finish and realising I'd be gone by then, me and a bird I was doing it with would open people's gas meters with a biro lid, scribble a signature and make up a name.

We'd do 10-15 a day and spend the rest in the pub or enjoying the sunshine.

I tried a stint working nights at M+S over one christmas when I was 18. They had a big marquee out the back with all the christmas stock in. I built a fort out of crisp boxes and spent most nights in there asleep.

Happy Days.
Old 27-03-2010, 01:23 PM
fish99

I only had a couple touch wood, both when I was a sparky.

Lifted a carpet, floor boards in some womens house during a rewire. Unknown to me, the carpet I had pulled back had managed to lay itself down again but over the area in which I had lifted the boards. I walk back into the room and straight down through the living room ceiling, swiftly kicking my boss in the head whilst he was talking to the client. Didnt go down to well.

Second cock up, again when I was a sparky. I was working in Buckingham Palace , rewiring the loft areas above the foot soldiers flats in the Royal Mews. Whilst we were working, my boss asked me and my mate to cut out a alledgedly redundant 4" water main out using this very swanky electric pipe saw. After a few weeks of cutting this pipe out we come across a big black box thing that was fitting inline with the pipe. I put the saw on the other side of this and cut away. with a second the pipe was cut, and this alledged disused water main was infact still live. This big black box thing was an ancient stop cock type valve and I had just cut it off. With thousands of gallons of water pouring into the loft areas the entire loft space became flooded. It took about 3 hours for an old valve about the size of a cart wheel to be located, and it took a lot longer for the water to be pumped out. Whoops.

Last edited by fish99; 27-03-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 27-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by S1
Not me but one of my colleagues was working in a data centre

My old manager was at our COLO site in Kings cross with a contractor/dude from another company. The problem is only we get dorr entry cards. My manager leaves the data room to go for a piss.

Off goes the lights in the room, contractor crapping his pants. Of course the fact that there's nobody in the room arms the heat sensors, floor pressure plates and motion sensors. Off go all the alarms!

When im working overnight im responsible for the delivery of various transaction files to the various banks. Ive delayed loads of them by days before some worth £5m+

We had a problem submitting a file to the Irish bank AIB once for over a week and one of the customers whos transactions were int he files went bankrupt. Best thing is though it wasnt our fault.

Last edited by Hobomassiv; 27-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 27-03-2010, 03:38 PM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Yeah touch wood I've only made a couple, however, just my luck, they were big fuckers.

I work as a design technician for a company that produces real high end washroom products, toilet cubicles for new developments, we're involved in Ferrari World on Yas Island (Abu Dhabi GP track) at the moment for instance. Fairly small company with a relatively low turnover.

Mistakes are so easy to make it's untrue, I put the wrong dimension on a glass door drawing once, ended up making 60 odd glass doors 5mm too small Cost the company around £100K in total as the project then ran late whilst we had the new doors manufactured and the client hammered us for it Hate that sickening feeling when you know you've fucked up and have no one else to blame it on Just about kept my job as I'm usually shit hot at what I do.

I did manage to avoid a mistake at last years xmas party though, my female boss was literally all over me, could've nailed her in a second, and she's pretty fit, would've been massively awkward as she was pissed up at the time, might try to nail her if I ever decide to leave though, bet she's an animal in the sack, anyway, I digress!
Old 27-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Put a brand new LWB Transit with 14miles on the clock into the side of a 2/3month old Mazda 6.

Funny thing was, i was reversing the van into a space in the compound, i knew there was a cone sitting covering a fucked drain, so i reversed back, heard (what i thought was...)the van nudging the cone a bit, so kept reversing, until i stopped against something hard.

What i thought was the cone, was the front wing of the mazda, then the hard thing was the N/S rear wheel of the mazda i'd scrubbed the van all the way along the car. 2x doors, front wing, rear 1/4 panel, wing mirror all required. Not cool.
Old 27-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

I was sick whilst swimming in the pool at my old work , couldnt be bothered to get it out so left it as noone saw me lol

Ben
Old 27-03-2010, 04:08 PM
godrikki
PassionFord Regular

ive only had a couple the best one we were laying a cable in a field and i was sanding the track with the jcb so im driving along stop to look in the track to see how far ive got next thing the track colapses jcb falls right in the track took us bloody ages to get out was working with the contract managers golfing buddy thought i was well getting paid off for that.another time the mini digger fell right off the trailer in the middle of a main road didnt break a window or nothing until i put it on the trailer then 3 windows broke
Old 27-03-2010, 04:09 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

In a previous job I installed safety restraint systems. I somehow managed to fall through the roof of the Walkers Crisp factory over the top of the Quavers production line.

Biggest cock up in this line of work is probably putting diesel in a Sierra we were taking banger racing. The guys stripped the carb and even changed the head gasket before realising what I'd done.
Old 27-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never done anything bad,when i was a postie i knocked on a house about 7am with a parcel only to be told it was the wrong street lol he was not pleased
Using a hiab dropping a tonne bag of soil off once and i didnt pull the leg out enough and the wagon went over lucky the bag was low to the ground while i was booming it out,it was on its wheels on one side but not the other
Old 27-03-2010, 04:24 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Originally Posted by anodised
missing a break in at a plumb center lots of copper gone oops
whcih must mean you work for chub then.

my biggest fuck up ate work has to be after attending a burglary in trowbridge last april i stopped for diesel whilst working pulled the female cashier in the garae who turned out to be a raving fucking lunatic who has made my life hell ever since and has just had a baby, great fuck though
Old 27-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Years ago when I worked for a large haulage company, we had just won quite a large contract to store and transport generators, stages, marquee's etc for a lot of high profile outdoor events and things. We had to get 3 large generators from Livingston to central london for a very high profile event (royalty). The generators I think had been at T in the Park in Hamilton I think and they had to be picked up, brought back to depot and then transported to London overnight. Due to restrictions in London and access to where the event was taking place all had to go JIT (just in time). Luckily for me all this was happening on my shift.

Got them picked up ok and brought back to depot in plenty time. Too early infact, would have been less painful if it had took longer. As a result I reckoned I could cover another small job with the equipment. I reckoned I could take generators off trailer store them in yard and send lorry out to do job and be back in plenty time to reload and send to london. All went well and I was rather pleased with myself, did small job, got trailer back in yard and tipped just as night driver was coming in. I gave him paperwork and trailer number and sent him on his way. I finished my shift and went home.

Got phoned out my bed about 5 hours later. Driver had stopped for his break and had checked load as he thought trailer was quite light to have 3 generators in it. Turns out I had forgot to reload them on to trailer and now he was half way to london with nothing but fresh air on board. Generators were still sitting in yard where i left them. The thing is they had to be first thing delivered as due to set up they had to be put in position before everything else could be set up round about them. Because of me a couple of hundred people hung about on a friday morning in a park in central london unable to get on with their work and then had to work into the night to have stage/marquee's etc ready for saturday morning. I think they got everything done with moments to spare.

To say my boss was raging would be a slight understatement. They had letters coming in from everywhere for weeks after, he told me he even had one from the royal office. Not one of my finest moments and I'm probably one of the few people in the whole of the UK to have kept royalty waiting.

SMG
Old 27-03-2010, 06:17 PM
jmck8887
Part of the Furniture

I once closed the sliding,glass showroom door after a salesman drove a new Mazda 626 into the showroom,I didnt realize he was still moving the car into a space when the car went through the glass,not my fault though,,honest.
Old 27-03-2010, 06:29 PM
slimwynn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddie
I had sex with my bosses daughter
hmm i had sex last night wiv a girl from work oh how much fun is monday going to bee lol
Old 27-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Going to work.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

Mine would have to be running over the fitter Toyota Hilux with one of these , thankfully he wasnt in it

Old 27-03-2010, 07:50 PM
andrewaspinall
Part of the Furniture

painted a 60 foot truck the wrong colour when i was apprentise got the paint out and painted it just forgot to check it only new it was wrong when the customer came to collect it, boss was well pissed but was really angry when 2 weeks later i forgot to drop the grab bucket down in a tipper and got it wegged in the door way ,as they say you learn by your mistakes LOL.
Old 27-03-2010, 07:54 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
Old 27-03-2010, 07:58 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by Caprigirl
Mine would have to be running over the fitter Toyota Hilux with one of these , thankfully he wasnt in it

You work/worked for Suncor then?
Old 27-03-2010, 08:51 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

fucking women drivers
Old 27-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Hit 2 cars in the same car park within 5 minutes of each other with the lorry
Old 27-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nothing that was either major or funny. Ordered wrong products, dropped a few things and broke them etc etc
Mistakes arent allowed to happen so I have to constantly look out for a mistake, then my work is checked by a pharmacist.
Old 28-03-2010, 07:08 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

this is by far my worst, nearly got sacked for this luckily just had a disciplinhary for bringing the company into disrepute.... left a few months later anyway lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7646419.stm

as i was the team leader and the last person to use the van i had to take the shit for it last person to use the vehicle and

Last edited by mozzy; 28-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 28-03-2010, 07:52 AM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

when i work for plumbing company we were refurbing a spar fiting new showers ect,was walking up side swimin pool with glass door ,it sliped out me hands,they go with big spray glass everywere had to drain the pool cause ov it ,boss was well pissed off
when i worked sg petch ,drove paul birds rally car up road with the anti lag on was great fun till loadsa people rang in complaining bout the noise didnt get 2 drive it back again went on low loader lol,also punched me boss on same job 4 bn a twat stormed out an nearly took his car out in mine didnt go back either was good job to but young an daft
Old 28-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

I uncoupled a train that I wasn't meant to and caused some £15000 worth of delays

Well according to the diagram this happened Monday to thursday, but someone forgot to put the Friday diagram in and I chopped 2 coaches off and left them at Selby blocking the station for an hour or so while I went back to Leeds Got away with that one luckily!

Another time, coupled up a couple of units to take them to the depot and got the signal to go, set off and thud, brakes came on, bizzare that, then an almightly wallop from behind and the brakes came off - What had happened is the 158 I had coupled to the 155 I was driving had seperated when I set off and the 155 stopped, the 158 having poorish brakes compared to other trains carried on going and re-coupled with a right bang, brakes came off and I continued and said nothing

Worse things have happened to other people where I work, one chap run into the buffers and caused a bit of damage to them, one woman run into a 144 with a 333 (electric train) and smashed the couplers in bits as they are non-compatible

I could write a book of all the shit that goes on on the railway and you wouldn't even believe half of what goes on - I'm sure Steve (Cossie4i) would have a few god stories of bollocks being dropped too and things going wrong :P

Last edited by Graceland; 28-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 28-03-2010, 08:11 AM
b_kennedy

Originally Posted by kiddie
I had sex with my bosses daughter
Same as but on his desk too
Old 28-03-2010, 08:15 AM
WongRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i chopped the wrong brake pipe on a car the other day, was meant to be doing a short one from the rear brake to the flexi hose, but i went and cut the one from the flexi to load compensator, not a huge mistake, but it was a foooking nightmare to fix!

Quick Reply: What's your worst mistake at work??