General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Lancer Evo's

Search this Thread

Old 30-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Bens2rs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lancer Evo's

Hi im thinkin about getting an early evo 3/4 what are the main problem areas to look out for?

Thanks
Old 30-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

other than they have all been thrashed, most of them have been ran on the wrong fuel and they suffer with 'crank walk' the are great
Old 30-07-2009, 10:37 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the chocolate engines...
Old 30-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Bens2rs

not sounding too positive
Old 30-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie690
the chocolate engines...
hes on about evo's, not cosworths
Old 30-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bens2rs
not sounding too positive
ben, your probably best off asking on somewhere where the people have actually owned an evo etc..
Old 30-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ben, on a serious note, I was very tempted at buying a evo4, things that put me off are.

they are cars that need quite alot of servicing, as the car itself have become pretty cheap these days, will it of had the servicing it needs? AYC etc active diffs and all the other stuff can all add up pretty quickly, infact more than the value of the car
Old 30-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Bens2rs

How would i know symphtoms (sp) of crank walk? knockin?
Old 30-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im also in this predicament started getting decent insurance quotes on Evo's, I think I will be going for a 5, as I not to keen on the 4 getting crankwalk. Even though the 4 look worth the money.

best getting on here
http://www.lancerregister.com/

Last edited by Robs Frst; 30-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bens2rs
How would i know symphtoms (sp) of crank walk? knockin?

I dont know too much about these, my advice would be to join the MLR, its a pretty friendly forum and ask on there, I did this and it put me off buying one.

p.s. DO NOT BUY ONE WITHOUT TAKING ALONG SOMEONE WHO KNOWS EVO'S!!
Old 30-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Bens2rs

best do some research on the Lancer sites,i thaught they were alot of car for the money the evo4?
Old 30-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As above once you calculate the running costs you will be terrified.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Bens2rs

Ok cheers i'll look into it, thanks for the replies.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by fastrob xr2i
As above once you calculate the running costs you will be terrified.
not in my experience

i went from a 3 door to an evo 8 and the sierra cost shite loads more to "run" because the sierra would break things every week, whereas the evo is 100% reliable (but you will prob know how that feels as an s2 owner lol). it got to the point i darent drive it for fear of summat else busting! the evo however i can rag the shite out of and get no grief back

both did approx 20 mpg on average so fuel whilst it is bad isnt an issue when compared

the sierra was seviced every 3k (by me), the evo is every 6 months or 4500miles (cant do it myself). in fact the evo just last month had its 27k service (which is a more than regular one) and it was only £192 so dont believe the hype with service costs. that was done by a mitsu dealer and the car is also an import so dont believe the "imports are to be avoided" crap either!

pricewise it was bad timing as i bought it last october just before the economy crashed but looking at the prices of 8's now they are creeping back up

definately register on mlr, have a look around the for sale sections, and ask questions etc. you only get 30 posts as a non contributor so use them wisely!
Old 30-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

What a lot of crap. Go over to the MLR for some real evo experience and not some numpties with old fords trying to justify when they still own them.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:44 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
not in my experience

i went from a 3 door to an evo 8 and the sierra cost shite loads more to "run" because the sierra would break things every week, whereas the evo is 100% reliable (but you will prob know how that feels as an s2 owner lol). it got to the point i darent drive it for fear of summat else busting! the evo however i can rag the shite out of and get no grief back

both did approx 20 mpg on average so fuel whilst it is bad isnt an issue when compared

the sierra was seviced every 3k (by me), the evo is every 6 months or 4500miles (cant do it myself). in fact the evo just last month had its 27k service (which is a more than regular one) and it was only £192 so dont believe the hype with service costs. that was done by a mitsu dealer and the car is also an import so dont believe the "imports are to be avoided" crap either!

pricewise it was bad timing as i bought it last october just before the economy crashed but looking at the prices of 8's now they are creeping back up

definately register on mlr, have a look around the for sale sections, and ask questions etc. you only get 30 posts as a non contributor so use them wisely!

The problem with your post is that your comparing a 2003 evo to a 1996 evo.. So how can you know how much maintenance,etc is needed? If you owned a evo 4 then your post would be worth while but as you own a car that is at least 5 years newer its kind of pointless
Old 30-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by R5FORD
The problem with your post is that your comparing a 2003 evo to a 1996 evo.. So how can you know how much maintenance,etc is needed? If you owned a evo 4 then your post would be worth while but as you own a car that is at least 5 years newer its kind of pointless
The older cars are even cheaper to maintain.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exactly the guy is a idiot comparing a newer evo 8 to a Evo 4.
Dont think he has a clue about the problems the evo 4 have, No one said there bad cars just have their problems there you should look out for.

I don't own own a S2 have not had one for 3 years. It actually never fell apart, or broke down. The RS cars that I have owned dont tend to have these reliabilty issues as I look after them, no expenses spared, still use them hard and get abuse.

Last edited by Robs Frst; 31-07-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:59 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ollie.
The older cars are even cheaper to maintain.
How are they? There older so more parts will be worn thus leading to more money being spent.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

I cant be fucked typing why tbh but they are. 3's for a start have no ayc. 4's have ayc but no acd... go on mlr if you're that interested.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:15 AM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Why are the EVO lovers still here if they think Ford are so crap and there EVO's gods gift ?
Old 31-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because this is a community site. The same reason people ask about how to fix their boiler. Wake up and see what is going on around u.

Evos are great. They ARE expensive to run compared to "cheap" to run cars. Mine went through pads, discs, tyres, services and fuel like there was no tomorrow (6 tme), however that is because it was driven very hard.

It is fair to say that they are cheap to buy at the moment but proportionately more expensive to run when compared to their price. I personally would own a 6 TME again as one of my cars. However I wouldn't own a cossie (note I love the best cossies on this site, they are ace - we are talking in general).

I'd personally stick to something around a 6 or above if u can afford it. They solved problems as they went through the different evolutions.

Cheers and as Ollie says - get on MLR and ask the people who think about these cars everyday.

RW
Old 31-07-2009, 12:27 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lol i love this evo vs cossie debate it never gets old.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by G2RSR
Why are the EVO lovers still here if they think Ford are so crap and there EVO's gods gift ?

Ive owned both and i love cossies. I'd never own another one though. So i seem to be in the same boat at Steve. Incidentally, i also love M3's and would own another over both the evo and cossie.
Old 31-07-2009, 06:46 AM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
hes on about evo's, not cosworths

my old sapphy engine has outlasted every bit of jap crap that my mate's have got.

new evo flavour!!
Old 31-07-2009, 07:15 AM
callums
Part of the Furniture

very good cars ,very different from my three door you can use all the evo power all the time .
the sevice costs are really no more to buy all the fluids and change them yourself ,brake pads are no more then for a rs just get with good service and you will be fine
Old 31-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Originally Posted by callums
very good cars ,very different from my three door you can use all the evo power all the time .
the sevice costs are really no more to buy all the fluids and change them yourself ,brake pads are no more then for a rs just get with good service and you will be fine
Rich is right. His evo 5 is lovely, plus you get the impression that it will remain reliable for many tens of thousands of miles as well.

As said above the MLR is probably the best place for advice on 4's vs 5's etc etc.
Old 31-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cossie690
my old sapphy engine has outlasted every bit of jap crap that my mate's have got.

new evo flavour!!
The main problem now is that jap cars like Imprezas and Evos need to be set up properly, ie not by chavs. Too many seem to own them now, which is why you get these "chocolate engine stories".

The main difference between a chav owning a cossie and a chav owning a Subaru is that the cossie owner can get away with it. A lot of Evos and Imprezas are imported, which means they are set up for jap fuel when they arrive here. Many of them are then bought by utter SPASTICS who don't have them mapped for UK fuel. What do they expect?
Old 31-07-2009, 08:01 AM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the insurance put me off

i live in the sticks and knokcing on but it was still mental
Old 31-07-2009, 08:17 AM
wozzy
Regular Contributor

I used to own a 3 door, now own a 6 gsr. in my experience there isnt really alot of difference in running costs between the two. ( mine are not daily drivers thou ). I really think 'luck of the draw' comes into play when buying either cossie or evo with regard to mechanical problems etc. Although the evo's 1 to 4 all suffered crank walk, be aware that there was major revisions carried out between the 3 & 4. ( different shell, engine layout etc ). The 4 is basically the engine/transmission layout that was carried all the way through to the 9. If i were to choose between the 3 & 4 the 3 would win all day long. As already mentioned they have no ayc to go wrong, they are about 100kg lighter also. If going for a later model i would say go for the 5 onward all day long! The 4 is definatley the mungral of the evo family! lol.

Considering i dont post on here very often i will also say this about evos...... Please dont listen to some of the things posted on this forum like 'evo's drive themselves/there is no driver involvement etc'. Thats the biggest load of bullsh1t going and could only be written by someone who has never driven one and/or still has his cossie blinkers on lol! That said, IMHO AYC is not worth a w@nk and often gets you in more sh1t than it gets you out of....... if you buy a 4 onward BUY AN RS!!!!

Cheers

woz

Last edited by wozzy; 31-07-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 31-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R5FORD
my point was regards the servicing which is what people usually associate as a high running cost with evos. plus as already mentioned servicing costs on a 4 are cheaper. guess you missed the point totally though.

Originally Posted by fastrob xr2i
Exactly the guy is a idiot comparing a newer evo 8 to a Evo 4.
Dont think he has a clue about the problems the evo 4 have, No one said there bad cars just have their problems there you should look out for.
very mature. resort to name calling because someone contradicts your ill informed "calculate the running costs you will be terrified" drivel.

Originally Posted by G2RSR
i presume thats aimed at me for daring to comment? where exactly did i say fords are crap? ive owned them long enough and had enough of them over the years and im not one for thinking my own cars are crap
Old 31-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry If I have offended you,
I was going by service costs, insurance, sourcing parts for the 4.

Wanted a Evo 4 since last year but researched and realised I was'nt ready for the costs involved to keep them running, Knowing it will be driven hard used daily. To be honest it was the insurance costs that put me of.

A year later I'm now in a position to buy a Evo after gaining usefull advice from MLR.
Old 31-07-2009, 01:16 PM
yes that is my head

i had a evo 3 and there great cars, make sure of the useal stuff like crash damage, smokeing etc, and make sure clutch is good, i killed mine and its 10 hours labour to change

make sure the climet control works well,
coil packs get brittle and the ht lead fals off
make sure the speedo has been conerted to mph proply, i viewed a few that had mph faces stuck on and thay dont read right the origanl clocks should untouched (conversion is electronic)
rust around rear arches,

other than that there great cars, service @4000miles and use optimax and all will be well

i only got rid of mine due to personal cercumstances or i would have still had it, will be going for another soon a 3 or 6

Last edited by 666; 31-07-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 31-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I can remember working in a garage and we had an evo 8 in for a service.It needed rear brake discs and from a dealer the discs were 300 quid each and aftermarket ones were 300 quid for the pair.Fook that.
Old 31-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Evo's what do you want one of them for? They cant be much fun - they drive themselves do they not?

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
I can remember working in a garage and we had an evo 8 in for a service.It needed rear brake discs and from a dealer the discs were 300 quid each and aftermarket ones were 300 quid for the pair.Fook that.

Something doesnt sound right there mate - seems overly expensive. Rears are under a £100 a pair to replace.
Old 31-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
the sierra was seviced every 3k (by me),

Just not the plugs though?
Old 31-07-2009, 02:35 PM
yes that is my head

sod that, i payed 48 pound for ebc front pads that was about the going rate
Old 31-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Rears were under a hundred quid for mine for a good make(i cant remember what now) off a trader on the MLR.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Asturias
Part of the Furniture

Why would you want a rusty old Proton witha bodykit-they rust worse than Fords!

Buy an E36 M3!
Old 31-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_R

Something doesnt sound right there mate - seems overly expensive. Rears are under a £100 a pair to replace.
Honestly mate thats what my old gaffer told me this was over a year ago.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evo's