View Single Post
Old 20-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Becky Edwards
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Figured I'd give you all an update. Many of you were concerned that the alternator was still a potential issue ...And you were right! Car lasted less than 2 days on new battery before dying completely to the point where it wouldn't even unlock with the key-fob. Just got alternator replaced today and so far so good. Turning on fine, running fine, no issues so far. Fingers crossed this solves the issue. Christ knows I can't afford another call out! Was hoping to save myself a couple hundred quid replacing the battery myself and thought I'd solve the issue when it started. But at my luck would have it, things are never that simple Hopefully the alternator's done the trick now.

Also, how long should an alternator typically last? My car's done less than 22k and is only 4 years old which is why I thought it was just a battery issue. I admit I know little about cars but I feel an alternator should last decidedly more than 22k before failing. Surely 22k/4 years is fairly young as far as alternators go? Google says the average alternator should last about 7 years or 100k miles. Any ideas what caused it to fail so early? I bought the car directly from a ford dealership at 3 years old on 10k miles. Feel like it's far too early for the alternator to fail.

Last edited by Becky Edwards; 20-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.