View Single Post
Old 13-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Becky Edwards
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start - clicking noise

Hi Guys,

New to this forum but hoping for some advice.

I have a 1.2 ford focus, 2014 model. 17k on the clock, no history of problems at all.

The other week I got up for work and my car just wouldn't start. Had no indication anything was wrong, no warning lights or anything. Had used it the day before without issue. The radio/internal electrics came on but the engine was just clicking. The oil and battery light came on, checked oil which is fine. First checked if I'd left lights or anything on but I hadn't

Had a mobile mechanic out, he said the battery was charging fine at 12.5v and he got it started within seconds but once he turned the engine off, the same problem occured - just clicking. He said the battery was dead and he'd go away and get me a quote for one. About three days later he calls, telling me he ran into an electrician he knew and he'd advised that the battery should be charging at 14v and that therefore I'd need both a new battery and now also a new alternator. This electrician has not seen or inspected the car. The mechanic, on this electrician's advice quoted me at £320 for the job and parts. Told me the battery would be £55 on it's own but that I would definitely need a new alternator and was looking at around £200 for one.

I might be being paranoid but I can't help be sceptical - the whole "I ran into an old friend" line had me suspicious straight away.

Does what this mechanic has diagnosed sound right or should I get a second opinion? What sounds likely to be the issue based on my description? From what I understand as well, aren't you supposed to take the car on a run for a good 20-30 minutes after jump starting it? If the battery is dead as he's claiming, but he got it started, shouldn't he have advised me to take it on a drive and THEN turn it off and attempt to start it again? I dunno, I'm not a mechanic so I could be showing my ignorance here but that's what I've heard from others so just wanting an opinion on that. It'll cost me another £45~ to get a second opinion as that's the average price in my area for a call out so I'm looking to minimise costs here as much as possible. Is it worth the second opinion or should I just get the battery and alternator replaced as advised?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.