View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Tonytt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlairM
This is my new baby now!

I started off racing Fiesta XR2's at Knockhill late in 2007. After a full season in them in 2008, I was offered the chance to test a race spec Fiesta ST in November 2008. Almost on the same day I decided that eventually I would like to trade in my XR2 for a newer ST - the car was that good!

I competed in several events in my XR2 in 2009 to keep my foot in the door, but the car was up for sale and sold in September. Just to make sure I was going down the right path, before commiting to my own build I borrowed an ST and raced it at the October SMRC meeting at Knockhill. Lots of fun, even if I was a little scared of damaging someone elses well prepared car.

A couple of weeks later I went to view a written off blue 54 reg ST in a barn that was awaiting final repairs and then a coat of paint - it was just needing someone to buy it.. The car didn't have any chassis damage, just cosmetic, so I gave the order to go ahead with my preferred colour choice - Frozen White.

The car was finished up this week and was delivered for me yesterday.

How Project ST looks as it stands tonight:

Exterior
Attachment 125009

Attachment 125010

Attachment 125011

Attachment 125012

Attachment 125013

Interior:
Attachment 125014

Attachment 125015

If you're wondering why the windows are only taped in, there's a good reason! They will need to come out again for rollcage, and were simply taped on to keep elements away from inside during transportation.

The engine for it is being stored elsewhere right now, just incase you're wondering if I forgot to ask for a car with one.

The car will be built to BRSCC Ford Fiesta Championship regulations, although my plans are initially to run in the Scottish Motor Racing Club*Fiesta ST Cup, which competes alongside the Mk2 XR2's I used to race.

Some of the specs of the car will be as follows:
-Standard 2.0 Duratec ST engine
-K&N induction kit
-Performance exhaust
-Weld in Rollcage, interior will be painted metallic grey
-AST Suspension (multi adjustable!) - regulation item
-15" ATS DTC Alloy Wheels, Dunlop tyres, slicks & wets - regulation item.
-Regular competition preparation items - for example:*race seat, harnesses, fire extinguisher, electrical cut off

As you will see from the pics, the interior seats are removed, however a lot still needs to be removed to prepare the car for it's rollcage. Carpets, dash, wiring loom are the obvious items.

As well as that door side impact bars need to be removed - for weight saving, all redundant metal mounts need to be removed, for example where the rear seat back secures into, and the big job for weight saving is to remove every bit of seam sealer in the car. This stuff is basically everywhere, it's also used as sound deadening on the roof and rear quarters.

I'm not sure how long the above jobs will take me but this project I'll be doing it along the way as I can afford it, so it may take a while longer than I'd hoped for - which was the start of the 2010 season. Unless I can get a sponsor between now and then it seems likely to be end of 2010 or start of 2011.

Hope you all enjoy following my progress.
How's the build going?
How did you get the seam sealer off?