View Single Post
Old 22-10-2016, 08:06 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Keeping one standard is good for some people as they can be 100% reliable that way and not everyone is into modifying cars. I'm getting to the age now where I half wish I had kept mine completely standard
I think its a bit of a myth that Cossies become unreliable when modified. As soon as I got mine 21 years ago I had the engine rebuilt using a new 200 Wire rung block, bd10 & bd12 cams,balanced bottom end with competiton bearings, uprated oil pump, group a spec ported and polished head groupA head gasket, valve cut out Mahle pistons, greys , T35 hybrid turbo and big bore exhaust.It has never let me down, blown the head gasket or started any oil leaks, and never failed an MOT.
2 years ago switched to L8 ecu, wasted spark ignition,new wiring looms ,Siemens 83lb injectors, 044 pump,T38 turbo with billet compressor, hart style inlet, lightened flywheel,and hydraulic clutch conversion.
The engine is still going strong and gets thrashed on a regular basis.
Of course in that time some things have been replaced but just down to old age, battery,alternator, steering arm joint,and all original rubber bushes with poly ones.
My car had just under 50,000 miles on it when I got it, it is now on 106,000 miles, so in my opinion it has been very reliable.
As long as the modifications are done right by someone who is a proper Cosworth expert there is no reason why you have to suffer unreliability to get decent power.

Last edited by cossynut2; 22-10-2016 at 08:11 AM.