Old 21-07-2016, 01:24 PM
hazbaz1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK1 Focus - Gearbox Crunchy when Cold - Recent Clutch Change

I had a very recent clutch change done on my Mk1 1.6 Focus. Its done 95k. The gearbox has been a little notchy (1st & 2nd) and snaggy (lift clutch slightly to get in reverse) since I bought it at 72k. The clutch change seemed to remedy that...

Except in the last few days. When starting the car from cold in the AM, I cannot get the car into gear. Not even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. When I try to force it into 1st, the car tries to move as if the clutch pedal is up. Reverse just grinds. Not good. I really have to FORCE it into gear for the first 2/3 miles. Once its warmed up its better....

I'm worried that I will end up forcing it just that little bit too hard, and destroying the gearbox one morning. Just in time for the summer. Ideal.

Any advice? My MOT is due in a couple of weeks... At the same garage that did the clutch. Could an adjustment be made to fix this issue? Or would it be best to sell the car on ASAP?!

I'd rather not get rid of the car. Other than this, its been a trooper for the past 24k.

Cheers.

PS - My clutch pedal return spring snapped a while back... I have the replacement part and have even stretched the spring out... but cannot find a garage to do it for me for less than £150. And i've tried and failed several times to do it (6ft3in and bulky) without taking the driver seat out... Not convinced that would be the problem though. Seems like a possible hydraulic issue when the fluid is cold.