View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 04:06 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jamie's
At the kind of price bracket your looking at it might not make that much sence if your not going to be doing the work yourself,
There isnt as much money to be made as people think
You can make a little, but its just as easy to get caught out (more so if your relying on somebody else)
As with a lot of mechanics i do it from time to time, but even then i find it only makes sence if i let the car come to me, i never go looking for a car to flip as theres just no money in it that way
If somebody approaches me then fair enough
But if you go looking and then pay for parts and labout(even if its cheap labour) it rarely works out
Remember you make the money when you buy the car not sell it,
Its only worth doing if the car is cheap to buy, you can take a rough guess at how much its gonna cost you once finished but you'll never know untill its done, and thats me doing the work myself and being in the trade for 19 years
The paperwork side can be akward, most sellers will want you to put the vehicle in your name when they sell you it,
There is a bit on the v5 to say its transfered to trade but most people wont understand that and want you to register it,
And to lie around while getting repaired you should realy have it insured so you need trade. Insurance to drive it or to take buyers for test drive etc,
And the hardest bit is even with cheap cars under £1000 buyers these days expect the earth, more time wasters than anything else,
They all want full history and proof of cam belts etc with cars at £500, they are dreamers

I know i'm probably puting you off but it can make money, but its very rarely a cheap easy flip, so never risk more than you can afford to lose if it all goes wrong
Pretty much sums it up, with the amount of cheap cars on ebay/gumtree unless you get the cars dirt cheap there really is no profit in it unless its something rare or sought after and you do the work yourself to get it ready to sell