View Single Post
Old 13-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by M K
No need for Iva or sva as it still retains original bodywork and light positions and heights etc even though it has wider arches
many kit car replicas retain original light and bodywork yet need iva.
Originally Posted by stu21t
Cheers mate, that's good to know about the Iva/sva/mot ive always done mine on a normal mot but didn't know if that was right or not lol.
You will get away with it on a normal MoT as no MoT tester can "prove" the chassis was modified extensively without having been tested at some point in the past - they arent testing for that. But they do have a mechanism to refer it to DVLA/VOSA if they think its no longer the same car in identity terms.

Following the letter of the law it needs an IVA plain and simple because it is an extensively modified monococque chassis. I did a lot of research into it when i wanted to make my puma cossie into a carbon floored car.

It comes under as a "radically altered/rebuilt vehicle".

You also wont have enough parts on it to get enough points to retain its current ID or get an age related ID so you'd Probably end up on a q plate as youve got some new and some second hand parts and to get a new plate youd need 100% new apart from one recon'd part such as an engine.

However in practice, again most testers arent interested in "undateable" componants as theres no way of knowing which car they come from etc. They are primarily interested in chassis, engine, axles etc.

However in practice who is going to know? the chance of getting pulled by a VOSA van is slim in a road car like yours. The police wont have a clue so are no threat either.

The correct way to have done it would be for AG motorsport to invoice you with an "ag motorsport cosworth chassis" as a new item with no id. You could easily get enough pattern parts but it doesnt matter if its new metal for the non structural panels really.

You then have a new chassis, you can either use all new parts with one recon'd bit (eg engine) and get a new reg, or use an actual cossie as the donor for engine, box, steering, brakes etc - I think its 8 points you need. and youd end up on an age related plate - age related to the cossie donor v5 you have. Then of course strip it and put on the fancy stuff.

Ironically there is NO record at IVA what parts are on the car, so any modifications post test cannot be used against you unless obviously dangerous and wouldbt have passed. That means once you have the MAC you can pretty much modify all you want and no mot tester or police can prove it wasnt on the car at IVA. Great for exhaust noise as many forces are attempting prosecutions at 83db where as IVA is 99db and hence you have the get out of jail clause if some copper wants to be arsey.

The problem with not IVA'ing it is that the MoT is getting stricter on non-factory mods and while still in europe will continue to do so and could quite easily in a few years mean it simply cant pass without TUV or similar oem type approval on modifications. However as long as they allow kit cars on the road, the IVA means the aftermarket parts stand on thier own merit if they pass the test without the need for mass type approval.