View Single Post
Old 26-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by john_3.0s
I used to build wiring looms for the aerospace industry so with respect i've got a bit of a background in this sort of thing. With a bit of time and effort trust me it really isn't a complex loom looking at the one i've just taken out of my car. Dimensions are not mm critical and screening arrangements are simple as are the connectors. I just cant believe people will spend half a grand on a few bits of wire and some connectors, don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it, just find it hard to believe that's all.

I was a senior designer at BAe. Didn't make but designed more than a few.
Each transition on an aircraft loom would have cost £15 + & many £1000 to produce so I suggest respectfully you may have built them but have not got a clue what they cost. There are £200 worth of parts in a YB loom that I produce including connectors & £400 a fair price. Built M.A.Development looms since I retired in 2007 & have seen whats produced out there even by so called tuners. You say with a bit of time & effort its simple totally agree all car looms are simple but they take time to produce a pro standard loom ( Ford looms are shocking if that's your standard maybe you can produce them cheaply. ) Without a drawing you guys that use to build them would not have a clue. When you have designed a few then you can come on here & tell me I don't know what im on about, until then keep quiet .