View Single Post
Old 17-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Boober944

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying ECU

Hi folks,

I am trying to figure out just what ECU is in my Cossie clone. The engine and trans are 100% stock MK1 Sierra Cosworth RS installed in an 86' Merkur XR4Ti.
The car is currently going through a complete overhaul/restoration and I will be looking to add a chip/injectors/3 bar MAP to take advantage of the GT3528R turbo I will be installing.

I was led to believe that the ECU in the car was correct for the 2WD Cosworth but now I'm not exactly sure. Here are some pictures I took today when I pulled it out:

The 048/01 would indicate that it could be an L8 case but I have NO idea what might have been done to the guts. The ECU was supposedly modified (fixed) by a gent in Seattle Washington (prior to my purchase of the car) but my attempts to get an explanation from him as to what exactly was performed have yet to yield any answers.
The only info I have from him was a message posted on the car's ad which stated:
"That particular car is a fun one; he had running problems and the wrong TPS so he came down to Seattle and I swapped in the correct for a 2wd ECU and drove it but it is just a YB dropped into a US spec Xratty shell"

Possibly sounds like he might not have touched the ECU, and just swapped out the TPS...but then if the TPS is for a 2WD then the L8 ECU wouldn't be compatible, correct?

Oh, and the seller had told me the car had a stage 1 chip in it, does the 2BL8FR23.044 possibly mean it may be chipped?

ANY help or suggestions here would be VERY welcome. I'm not opposed to completely swapping out ECU's for one that would be compatible (RS500 ECU compatible?) with my engine (assuming it has the 2WD TPS)

Thanks, Rich