View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

So, this is something that I have been playing with for the last few months. Almost a year ago I purchased a set of second hand headlamps, so I could 'blackeye' them, was pretty pleased with the results. As standard, the car came with halogen bulbs behind a projector lens, which also has a system called AFS, which turn the lamp units side to side while turning the steering. It is quite a clever system that really does help driving through the lanes at night.

So, this is how the car looked with the blackeye headlamps fitted.

Name:  20140420_140301_RichtoneHDR.jpg
Views: 3835
Size:  57.0 KB

I fitted a HID kit to them which worked well behind a projector lens, but there was definitely no substitute for a proper HID projector lens.

I could have just slung in a set of HID xenon units from another Mondeo, but they don't have AFS for some reason, it is only the halogen units the have it. I wanted the best of both worlds, so got creative lol.

I purchased a pair of Morimoto H1 projector lenses from America and set about fitting them. It certainly wasn't easy and I couldn't fit them how they are designed to be fitted, due to the swivelling AFS feature.

These are the lenses I purchased,

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the install (kicking myself for not taking any) but have now got them in and working with LED indictors, both with no Canbus errors.

Name:  20140911_160147_RichtoneHDR.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  43.2 KB

And the beam output

Name:  20140910_202848.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  16.1 KB

I will get some more pics with the sun off them, struggling a bit with my camera.

Last edited by RichieST; 11-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.