Old 16-06-2013, 03:58 PM
the_frozen_one
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So another tedious update. Kinda feels awkward doing these, most resto type thread updates tend to have the car having sprouted 5 new turbos or having changed colour over night. Mind tend to involve a fisher price spanner set and 7 removed screws but anyway...

As some of you may have read the reason the car isn't being used this summer is because of the state of the suspension, mainly the bushes. And I thought there would be no point changing the bushes and leaving the 30 year old suspension parts looking all crusty and horrible. So a full paint up/powdercoat is in order.

Decided to start at the rear, because it's simpler and I want good access to drill a few holes anyway. Surprisingly the ancient fasteners didn't put up any kind of fight.

Name:  IMG_0488_zps8cdfcd2d.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  90.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0487_zps0b915d39.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0489_zps80a2e53c.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  92.7 KB

The rear chassis is in great knick, and other than surface rust and a scabby top coat all the suspension components will do again. Checked all the part number etc and it's all still genuine Ford, even the dampers, which is nice.

I also took the tank down, again for access (and so I don't set it on fire) the tank is in great nick, as is the floor above it. A day without nasty suprises is a good day.

Also got hold of a few bits over the lsat few weeks:
Name:  IMG_0499_zpsa3256a10.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  72.5 KB
Age correct headrests, just need the cushion inserts now (and for no one to realise they're the wrong colour )
Name:  IMG_0496_zps84f1de90.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0497_zps72c10344.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  85.2 KB
A nice P21 radio with cage and face plate trim thingy
Name:  IMG_0498_zps1b52bdb3.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  71.9 KB
And a set of footwell speaker pod blank kickplate doodahs without holes in like mine. Again I think the wrong colour but it should be too dark in the footwell to show it.

And now for a teeny weeny bit of excitement. As some of you may know I have been know to nail an engine together from time to time, so for years I've been collecting high performance N/A cvh parts, aftermarket, 905, 909 you name it. It's always been a little personal gripe of mine that the n/a cvh is always overlooked. But sensibility has finally taken over, time and money and effort doesn't justify the reward, so I went looking in my shed fro inspiration:
Name:  IMG_0351_zps25f8bb2a.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  100.5 KB
That'll do nicely. Had it a while, got it all cheap, never been sure what to do with it, nearly sold it a few times but never did. Figure I'll drop this in a totally standard looking XR3i and have some retro fun with a kick.

Thanks for looking. You can click the back button and go and read something interesting now.