Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Minor update.

Got some new tyres:
Name:  20130112_152808.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  699.4 KB

Mucho thanks to Mark Barber for ordering them for me as there were only two left in stock on special offer and not sure if they are getting any more. They will be going on my speedline wheels. When i get paid next I will get more tyres from somewhere and the hubcentric spacers i need with long studs as i am using group A conversion nuts on my wheels.

Also starting to plan how to address my high ACT's. Been something ive been thinking about a while but not got round to it as its not been a priority.

My "group A" cone filter is basically near the exhaust manifold Ive made a heatshield to go on soon and i will also be using heat reflective coated carbon to "box" in the cone filter seperate to the rest of the hot engine bay.

I am also providing two cold feed tubes. one just plain simple duct. The second is fan assisted.

I intend to use a 120mm delta fan - yes thats a computer fan!! Its ip66 rated, sealed bearings etc so will be fine exposed to typical road grime and rain. also designed to work on 12V and draws 4 amps.

It puts out 7133 litres per minute.

a similar sized spal fan pumps out only 5833 litres per minute.

the delta fan cost me £29 from the USA (already have them)
the spal equivilent costs £76 from UK.

I have 3 delta fans.

A rough calculation of a 2 lite engines air consumption can be assumed to be:

Engine capacity x RPM = litres per minute.

for a cossie its basically the same as RPM when off boost.

Now very roughly lets take into account boost. The more accurate way would be to use a dyno graph to calculate pressure at a given rpm.

however im just going to use peak rpm and peak boost as worst case.

For my car assuming 7500rpm and 2 bar boost.

that means because the engine runs in vacuum off boost (about -11 to 12 psi) then in effect you are making 3 bar of actual pressure to bring the inlet upto 2 bar positive.

so in effect 3 times atmosphere so therefore 3 times as much air for a given volume give or take.

so my cossie roughly consumes 22500 litres per minute of air. so just over the amount 3 delta fans can deal with.

So in theory I could rig up all 3 fans and give or take be able to flow enough clean air into the air filter box to deal with the maximum air consumption of the engine.

Now im not quite that insane so for the time being im just going to rig up one fan (I have space for all 3 if needs be) with the aim of ensuring lower revs and lower boost levels driving will ensure the engine gets a good amount of fresh air.

I may at a later date add more fans but only dependant on the actual results produced.

So time to get producing parts. I already have some suitable lightweight ducting to use. However i need to create some kind of funnel shaped adaptor to enable me to connect the duct cleanly to the fan.

So take 1 delta fan:
Name:  20130112_210723.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  738.2 KB

Take some foam modelling block and glue on a tube that matches the internal diameter of the tubing (so it slides over easily), then get busy with the sanding blocks.

Name:  20130112_210735.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  723.7 KB

And the end result once i mould an adaptor will be:
Name:  20130112_210748.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  771.4 KB

im going to use the foam plug ive made as a rough mould by sealing it and release coating it. i will then wetlay it with carbon. It will be rough and ready but a few minutes with a bit of sand paper and the inside will be nice and smooth.

its going to be hidden so not even going to try to make it look good as its a waste of my time!! Will reserve the fancy moulds and pre-preg for the cosmetically important parts!