View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Robertio
Rotary Engine Destroyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford will have built the car to a price, so the quality of the parts is constrained. If someone gave the chassis engineers the option to spend 3 times as much on the suspension components I'd be amazed if they stuck with what is on the standard car. There's nothing to stop the likes of KW taking the factory setup, matching the spring rates and valving much better dampers to match - thereby using all Ford's chassis setup time and providing a better controlled package. They then have the option of tweaking from there.

You just have to look at the way Ford changed the geometry settings to know they didn't get it right straight-off. Having tried both the toe-in and toe-out settings I'm yet to be convinced they ever got it right. One day I'll have my dream workshop with laser alignment setup so I can get it properly dialled-in, until then I'll just tweak the settings every time the car visits my friendly alignment place.

It may be the factory stuff is better, I was just hoping someone would have tried both back-to-back and be able to advise. It is more than a tad firm on our badly surfaced roads (my gf comments on every journey). The Focus is my sensible road car so I like to buy once and just drive the thing - the track car is where I'd rather spend my R&D time and money