View Single Post
Old 18-05-2012, 06:53 PM
MrJayware
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Ford Fiesta, Mot'd 27/7/13

Heres my mk1 fiesta with a 1100 valenica engine.
I got it last august for my birthday and heres all the progess ive done (Most of it is are reposts)
I am going to rebulid in to a spec thats fast and looks good but is a every day driver when i can drive, Im only 15 but ive done all this work by myself and help from the haynes manual !
I will be taking it to alot of the shows this year, shouldnt be long till

finished.
Heres the Spec :
- 1100 Valencia engine
- Weber Carb & inlet manifold
- Pepperpots
Spares :
- Beige Hounds tooth front seats
- Beige Hounds tooth rear seats
- Grey Set of door cards
- Ghia Front seats
- Ghia Rear Seats
- Rear brown hounds tooth Seat
- Brown door cards set
- Brown carpet
- Grey carpit
- Front headlights
- 1100 Oil pump
- 1100 Water pump
- 1100 Gearbox
Parts renewed :
- RS4 Spokes
- New powerflow performance bushes
- New Front disc's
- New Rear shoes
- New rear Cylinder
- Xr2 speedo
- New spark Plugs
- New Ht Leads
- New drive belt
- New electronic ignition
- New mk2 xr2 Front struts
- 4 point safety Harnesses
- Black Centre Console
- Old school stereo!
- Paint!
Here it was when i got it last august, Looks a right shed i know but was cheap and a good project.
The paint was house hold paint done with a brush!

Since then ive got new 4 spokes alloys wheels.

Striped for Sanding + Painting.

Ive also put a whole new braking system (Disc's, Pads, Flexi Hoses, Shoes & cylinders + more)

Started sanding..

New Steering wheel + Snap off/ Quick Release boss.

4 Point Harnesses

New Xr2 Speedo With rev counter wired up + fitted..

Removed the back seats for the fitting of the harnesses

New Powerflow Tie bar bushes

New Bits & bobs for a service

Then This weekend (4/3/12) Got busy painting!!!
I was going to do it the old school way, Cellulose primar, base coat & Laqucer. But when ordering i told the man behind the counter what i was going to do and he told me theres a much Cheaper & Easier way to do it.
Just use cellulose primar like normal, then the base coat has laqucer mixed in, so instead of laqcuering it you just polish it up and it will be done.
Heres what i got :
- 2 Litres Primar (doubles up with thinners to make 4 litres)
- 3 Litres Colour (doubles up with thinners to make 6 litres)
- G3 Polishing compound
This is my first time painting with a air compressor, What do you think ?

Right this weekend in got upto more painting...
I tried to get the windows out but my temper ran out before the window came out, I spent 2 hours trying to get one side out but someone has put some sort of sealent round the window seal. I ending up masking it up for now and might try again later. I got all the windows masked up really well and i was really please with it, after a second layer of primar you start to notice all the big dents, There was too massiveeee dents on the rear where it had been rear ended, But my dad got a bit of wood and wacked them out and the just need a little filler and then you would of never of known they were there. Theres the odd dent here and there but its over 30 years old so its understandable. Ive started masking up the inside aswell but havent started painting inside yet. I flatted the second coat of primar back and stuck a third layer on. Next time i will wet & dry all the primar so it comes up like glass.
I also tried cleaning up the engine bay. Which was a long job, i sprayed loads of degreaser, Wire brushes the old paint and then tried scraping it but it wasnt making it any easier. While cleaning the engine bay up i thought i would give the car a full service and the couldnt find the right size spark plug socket so that was short lived..
Also ive always thought there was something wrong with the driveshafts or something of that area. So i tightened the hub nut and it was really lose! but it feels alot better now there tightened, And the front shocks are gone completely but ive got a set of mk2 xr2 front struts i will be using for now untill i get some coilovers or a new suspension set..

After months of waiting my boss arrived from thailand, it fitted with no modification atall and my quick release boss fitted with no trouble.
I test fitted my rear seats to see how good it looked with matching seats, Looked really good! I emptied all the dash and inside of the car and cleaned all the carpet as good as i could. I will be repairing the rear houndstooth seats as best as i can or will get someone else to do it depending on money.

also just got a 1800 zetec engine so toying with what to do to that...

ally an update!!
We'll ive finally got round to sorting moving the car. I had it all sorted and then sh*t hit the fan!
They guy who was ment to be moving the car had lost the key to the trailer so that wasnt going to anytime soon.
Then i went round to my nans to get the garage key and give her some dough but no one answered so we had to wait 2 hours and went round there again to find out she was in all along :angry1:
Then i opened the garage up (it hasnt been used for 10 years) and there was loads and loads of old sh*t! So i started cleaning up and my uncle arrived. so my dad and uncle rushed off and got all the tools + spares while i stayed at the garage cleaning and heres the out come..

I will be moving the car in a couple of weeks if not this friday...
Also i picked my recaro's up on the way home, which arent in back nic for the money

I will be moving the car in a couple of weeks if not this friday...
Also i picked my recaro's up on the way home, which arent in back nic for the money
And my new kitten Approves Recaro's

Also got a picture of my front speakers that i got, i did upload a picture before but it wasnt the greatest..

When at work the other day i had a sudden thought of replacing my fuses so i got loads of new ones, Found a new cig lighter aswell and done loads of reading of the haynes manual to get it all legal, and got my stickers ready for the car

This is as far as ive got so far!
I will keep updating as i go along

Last edited by MrJayware; 27-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.