View Single Post
Old 25-04-2012, 01:42 PM
pauluspaolo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the success of the throttle cable I decided to tackle running in the new fuel pipes. First thing to do was to try & mock up where I was going to run the new fuel pipe - I was intending to run it along the central tunnel but when it came to actually installing it I decided that it ran too close to the prop shaft. Also, without removing the prop, I couldn't get a drill in to drill the holes for the p-clips. Time for Plan B - which meant running it along the outside of the central tunnel & behind the seat rails (hopefully you'll see what I mean from the pic), passing through the speedometer cable hole into the engine bay. Not sure what the MOT tester will make of it but most of it seems to be tucked up out of the way. I've fitted a fuel pressure regulator/filter in the engine bay & run the fuel pipe from this along the edge of the cam cover to the carb. I've run the fuel return pipe back to the tank along side the other pipe using two p-clips side by side to try & keep the installation neat & tidy.

The photo's aren't very good I'm afraid - & I've yet to take any of the fuel return pipe - but hopefully you can see the run of the fuel pipe under the car - any observations/comments (positive or negative) gratefully received.

Name:  DSCF1173.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  77.7 KB
Fuel hose running under the car along central backbone/tunnel & through the gaps behind the seat rails. I've secured it with p-clips along its length, especially at the back of the chassis (not in the photo) where it passes close to the trailing arm as I don't want any moving parts to rub against it!

Name:  DSCF1174.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  122.8 KB
Here we can see where I've mounted the filter king & the new hose attached to it. I've put a dogleg in the filter king mounting plate to lower it. The old fuel pipes can be seen poking through the chassis at the top of the photo - these are now redundant & I'll remove them later.

Name:  DSCF1175.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  111.9 KB
New fuel hose attached to the carb - I've run it along the edge of the cam cover (using rubber lined stainless steel p-clips) as it looks neat & keeps everything out of the way. The p-clips are a bit too big for the fuel hose but I’m going to wrap a bit of rubber self-amalgamating tape round it to increase the diameter of the hose so the p-clip will hold it.

As I say opinions welcome – I was going to change the route of the new hose while the car's up on stands & the underneath is accessible (up inside the central tunnel would be best/safest - which is where the original piping runs) but I just can't reach it without removing the propshaft - so it's going to stay where it is!

In some of the above pics you can see rust on the seat rail(s) & chassis - much as I'd love to take the body off & check/repair the chassis properly I just don't have the time, or facilities, to attempt this, so I've treated every bit of rust I can find with Jenolite rust remover & Kurust rust inhibitor. I haven't taken any photos of the treated rust (it's not much to look at to be honest) & it all still needs painting - hopefully it'll last a while before I have to do it all again as it's a pretty bloody awful awful job lying on your back with rust remover/inhibitor trickling down your arm!!

I haven't taken any pics but I've also fitted the vaccuum tube that runs from the carb, through the bulkhead, to the megajolt ecu - which I've yet to mount & attempt to wire up.

Next step will be to start stripping the back end down to renew suspension bushes, bearings, trailing arms etc & to treat any rust as & when I find it

Last edited by pauluspaolo; 25-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.