View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Moore
Hmmmmm.................as an example i'm lead to believe that the
0w is the cold flow viscosity of the oil and the 40 is the viscosity value at normal running temp, so a 10W/60 would be a thicker oil at normal running temp.
Viscosity of oils at different temperatures is very complex matter. 0W oil is in fact oil that is identical to 5W oil but has some other parametrs changed - don't remember that part on oils. Second number is more important. First is important for cold starts but all performance car here run 10W60 oils with no problems in winter.

>I've heard that 60 grade oils are too thick at running temps????

The only oil I hear problems with cold start is Motul 300V LeMans - especcially new one which is 20W60 and competition only in our climate. But in normal situations you can use anything else.

The main concern is regular oil changes, for me 3K as i'm running stage 3 tune, fuel can contaminate your oil over time and begin to breakdown the oil lessening it's properties.
Mobil 1, like many other oils are able to operate under extreme conditions of heat, retaining it's protective properties.

3k miles seams a little bit over exagerated but I don't know. I change it around 7k - kilometers.

I don't like Mobil products - lts of VERY BAD experience with it but here many oils are just falsified, including Castrol RS that's why I'm using TWS Motorsport which is about 1/3 more expensive.